Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #676
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
I've been noticing that as well............

On another note....Anyone notice how FAT Ricky Carmicheal has gotten?? WTF?
Is it just me or does CARMICHEAL look like a lesbian when he's doing commentary? Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #677
ADK OP
_____

Oddometer: 8,091
Thumbs down

just you
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #678
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Is it just me or does CARMICHEAL look like a lesbian when he's doing commentary? Not that there's anything wrong with that!
dude.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #679
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
If they're smart enough to put together a segment of previous action that amplifies/highlights some issue that is happening in the current race, more power to them. It's not like there is action happening every second of the race such that they can't miss 15 secs of it live. Beside which, their track record of catching the on-track action live is so abysmal anyway, I'm not sure it matters much. If something happens during that 15-secs, they'll show it in replay which is how we get most of the important stuff regardless.

- Mark

I really have to disagree with almost all of this. You have a race where the leader is barely matching the lap times of several guys behind him, and slowing a little each lap while the chasers are running faster all the time and 4 guys on the same straight in the last several laps of the race with Reed somewhere close but they never showed him. And Dungy trying to come through the pack and not doing so good at that.
A lot different than the last ten years or so.

A lot going on and coming to the end of the race and what do they do, start showing Villipoto crashing in years past. And not just a short clip, it went on for at least half a lap. If that isn't bad enough it was a rehash of clips they had been showing between races for the previous 3 hours.

If you go to one of those races there is a lot going on all the time all over the place, you can see the whole track all the time, it's really hard to keep track of what's going on.

But no worry, next Saturday we get nothing until Sunday afternoon and then it will just be some clips.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #680
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Are the three main commentators even on site? I get the impression that they're commentating on the same video feed we're seeing, totally at the mercy of the director's choice of cameras. I too have noted many times where you hear the crowd roaring for a good ten seconds or more before they get a clue that something has happened on track.

- Mark
I have often thought that they were not even at the races, just watching the video in some studio somewhere. why do you never see them on the track or interviewing a rider? Good observation Mark!
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #681
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker4her View Post
Did anyone else notice RC two riders didn't make the main event. Did they even try to quality or are they already out hurt?
Yeah, I can't seem to find any mention of them.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #682
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
I have often thought that they were not even at the races, just watching the video in some studio somewhere. why do you never see them on the track or interviewing a rider? Good observation Mark!
This is from A2 last year. And you can see how fat RC is.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #683
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
I have often thought that they were not even at the races, just watching the video in some studio somewhere. why do you never see them on the track or interviewing a rider?
It's pretty common in racing broadcasting to have a studio crew and a on-track crew. For example, in F1, the Speed trio of Varsha, Hobbs, and Machett doesn't generally travel to the races and instead do the broadcasts from Speed's studio in Charlotte. They rely on a single pit-crew reporter (Will Buxton) to do local angles. But this is for races in far-flung corners of the world on huge outdoor tracks where there is very little, if any, advantage to being able to look out the window vs. watching a monitor. In SX where there is a stadium and you can see the entire track, I would think being able to watch the action from a press box would be very advantageous.

Anybody know if the Sheheen, Emig, and RC are actually at the SX races?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #684
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
It's pretty common in racing broadcasting to have a studio crew and a on-track crew. For example, in F1, the Speed trio of Varsha, Hobbs, and Machett doesn't generally travel to the races and instead do the broadcasts from Speed's studio in Charlotte. They rely on a single pit-crew reporter (Will Buxton) to do local angles. But this is for races in far-flung corners of the world on huge outdoor tracks where there is very little, if any, advantage to being able to look out the window vs. watching a monitor. In SX where there is a stadium and you can see the entire track, I would think being able to watch the action from a press box would be very advantageous.

- Mark
See post 682
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #685
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,539
Yes, RC was in the pits so I don't think he went anywhere before the race.

There are some really good articles about Phoenix and a Stewart interview over at Cycle News.

Apparently Barcia had a nasty crash at home before Phoenix.

Barcia and Reed were lapping at the same pace. RV was smoking them on lap times. Barcia better keep getting good starts.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #686
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:

- Mark
They are often seen on the track in video segments, making comments about talking to people in the pits, etc...
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #687
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:

- Mark
I have seen RC and Emig at the races many times, but never Sheheen. Then again, I wouldn't be looking for him!

I am quite sure they are at the races, but by 5 or 5:30 p.m. they are in the booth doing their prep and don't come out for the rest of the night. And then you have the occasions where they bring a guest (injured) rider up to commenate on a race or two. I don't think that is happening from a studio.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #688
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,321
Quote:
Are the three main commentators even on site? I get the impression that they're commentating on the same video feed we're seeing, totally at the mercy of the director's choice of cameras. I too have noted many times where you hear the crowd roaring for a good ten seconds or more before they get a clue that something has happened on track.

- Mark

Yea, they are there. It was fun to see a race in person last year, then watch it on TV the next day at home and see what they missed. I cannot imagine that play by play is easy, but shit, if a stadium load of people are screaming it doesnt take a rocket surgeon to figure out something is happening.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #689
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,321
Is there an Erin Bates thread yet?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #690
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,384
There should be....!