User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
aussie_explorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thread Resurrection!

I'm going to be saying goodbye to my faithful steed Izzy in PA also. However, she isn't really worth alot as a whole bike now (she's had a hard life), so I'm looking for a charity to take her off my hands, and then part her out. For whatever reason, the previous owner put a FMF exhaust on her (probably a bit of a waste on a KLR 250, but certainly fun), so there's value in parts.

Does anyone know of any worthwhile charities in the area, and have contact details? If they have the paperwork ready when I pull in, they get the keys (and all the tools/parts/accesories I can't afford to carry in my luggage).
aussie_explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
Blackbandana81
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I still don't really get it, maybe you can help me out with your experiance: if i want to buy a bike in puntas arenas and want to drive north towards argentina, peru, ecuador, where will be the exact problem? I can sell it again in chile, right?
Thanks
Jan
Blackbandana81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbandana81 View Post
I still don't really get it, maybe you can help me out with your experiance: if i want to buy a bike in puntas arenas and want to drive north towards argentina, peru, ecuador, where will be the exact problem? I can sell it again in chile, right?
Thanks
Jan
My understanding is: Legally you are only allowed to leave the Zona Franca for 90 (maybe 180) days per year.

The best situation is to sell it to a local that will use it locally and maybe take some trips.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #34
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Man View Post
My understanding is: Legally you are only allowed to leave the Zona Franca for 90 (maybe 180) days per year.

The best situation is to sell it to a local that will use it locally and maybe take some trips.
That's true if you want to buy a bike imported under the "Zona Franca" regime to save some taxes. If you buy a new bike and choose to pay the 19% IVA, the bike is free to go anywhere.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Blackbandana81
n00b

Thanks, makes things a little clearer. I just wanted to buy a bike that takes me further north, for about 4-5 months. So i guess punta arenas is not the place for that? Better go a bit by bus and buy the bike somewhere else in argentina/chile?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, makes things a little clearer. I just wanted to buy a bike that takes me further north, for about 4-5 months. So i guess punta arenas is not the place for that? Better go a bit by bus and buy the bike somewhere else in argentina/chile?
If you buy a Chilean bike it is best to plan on returning it to Chile, whether you leave it or sell it.

If you buy a bike in Ecuador (with Ecuadorian tags) it is best to return to Ecuador and leave it/sell it there.

Make sense?

What is your tentative route?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Buying in Argentine will be way too expensive. Buying in the rest of Chile will probably be about the same as buying in Punta Arenas paying VAT.

If you buy a bike in Chile (PA or elsewhere) paying your taxes, you can take it anywhere and sell it. Chile wise, that is. Be aware that most countries do not allow the permanent importation of used bikes, so the recipient country's regulations may be the problem to deal with.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
Blackbandana81
n00b

The thing with sell vehicles where you buy them i just learnd here in mexico with my van with us licence plates:) so thanks for the reassurance.
@Dan Man: don't know yet, probably from south to north and at some point back to chile;)
Thanks again for the replys
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #39
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Quote:
The thing with sell vehicles where you buy them i just learnd here in mexico with my van with us licence plates:) so thanks for the reassurance.
@Dan Man: don't know yet, probably from south to north and at some point back to chile;)
Thanks again for the replys
If you are starting and ending in Chile, then buy a Chilean bike. It will make it easy to buy in X country and sell in the same X country when you are done.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #40
sean spain
DL1000

Oddometer: 5
Just sold my 07 V-strom DL1000 in Punta Arenas as well... took all of 5 hours!!

Definitely legal, definitely doable... so lucky it happened so fast, i'm still in shock... took us a year and a half to get here from Canada... so used to having our trusty steed...
sean spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #41
Chefblack
n00b

Oddometer: 1
contact in Puntas Arenas

Does anyone know or have a contact in Puntas Arenas I can reach out to with help in selling my 650R in Puntas Arenas?
Chefblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #42
Salva
@shp224

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefblack View Post
Does anyone know or have a contact in Puntas Arenas I can reach out to with help in selling my 650R in Puntas Arenas?
PM me when you are down there.
Salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #43
muffal19
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Looking to sell in Punta Arenas

I have a 2005 KLR 650 I am looking to sell in Punta Arenas in a month or so if anyone is interested or has any contacts. Thanks.
muffal19 is offline   Reply With Quote