User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
My bike is a blue "S"

And the paint is peeling off pretty bad, not sure why.

So, today I emailed Crispy in UK.

How many of you have used the vinyl wrap?? Is it easy to install?? Will it last?? More Info????
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 119
This is awesome!

I am going to try it with my upper fairing. I have a couple of chips and was wondering what to do about them. Has anyone done the wrapping? Can you stop halfway along a surface, or does it need to go to a "seam"?
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 109

Ducati black rattle can from colorrite. Took a long time with all the prep, drying time and having to redo one fairing that turned out like crap. Not a perfect paint job, but pretty good overall. The crispy decals take care of the rest.

I highly recommend the decals from Crispy designs. Christian is a great guy to work with.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJoe View Post

Ducati black rattle can from colorrite. Took a long time with all the prep, drying time and having to redo one fairing that turned out like crap. Not a perfect paint job, but pretty good overall. The crispy decals take care of the rest.

I highly recommend the decals from Crispy designs. Christian is a great guy to work with.

very nice!
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
skipman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
^^^^ awesome job....looks great^^^^

'10 KTM 990r
skipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
Cuse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:

That looks sweet!!!
Cuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
Bugman98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Until recently I was a broke college student too, and did several repaints with spray cans. DONT DO IT! I'd put in all this hard work on the prep, only to have it ruined by the quality of the paint from the spray can and the limitations of the pattern that most spray cans put out. What i've ended up doing lately is to do all of the prep work that doesn't require a spray gun myself, then buy automotive quality paint (which you can get from your auto parts store) and go to one of the local body shops. Tell em that you've got some after hours work for them, some bodyshops will usually have a guy who works there who makes some extra $$ by spraying stuff on the weekends or evenings. The parts have been prepped, they're off the bike, you've got the paint, you'll pay cash but you're a college student, etc, etc. I had all the plastic on my BMW primed, painted and clear coated for about $150. Probably $200 when I factor in the cost of the paint.
Bugman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/french_water/f83dcf14041e920fbc876b058c494373.jpg

Expensive (and nice looking) decals on rattlecan paint?

You sure got balls
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Expensive (and nice looking) decals on rattlecan paint?

You sure got balls
I was thinking the same thing

Pic looks good though!
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
Pistolero OP
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 735
Quote:

that is very nice I have to say. I'll have to look into the decals for sure. That bike looks amazing
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
....even if you just wrapped it in a solid color, that would likely be better than a scratched up or rattle canned bike.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 109
Let me defend my "rattle can" paint here a little. I did not roll down to wal mart and buy some crap off the shelf. The colorrite paint is specifically made for painting motorcycle fairings. It is OEM quality paint and not cheap. Clean, sand, clean, adhesion promoter, primer, sand, clean, two coats of color, two coats of clear. There is a flex agent built into the paint, but no drying agent so it takes forever to cure. You can buy the paint in non-rattle can form, but I really did not have any confidence/expirence in mixing everything correctly to get decent results.

That being said, it is still rattle can and you will never get professional results from it. I understood that going in. A profesional paint job to me would be a waste on this bike as it is a big ugly dirt bike that I will scratch up all over again anyway. If you like your bike pretty and clean all the time then this is not the path to take, it needs to go to a pro. Seems to be holding up well, but time will tell. If I had to do it again I would primer, color and send it to a pro for clear.

For the OP, I think the total for paint and decals was around $450. The quote I got from a pro painter was $1200 for just paint and don't even get me started on the KTM OEM decal prices. If it all falls off in two years, I"ll do it over with another color

This was orange at one time
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
Pistolero OP
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 735
Thank all of you guys for the great responses

I'll probobly just end up slapping the ol' girl back together and beating her up some more so I'll just wait till it's a real eyesore and then paint it... It is a 990 adventure after all and I'm not Cyril Despres so some scuffage is to be expected
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #29
pulpo2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
Thank all of you guys for the great responses

I'll probobly just end up slapping the ol' girl back together and beating her up some more so I'll just wait till it's a real eyesore and then paint it... It is a 990 adventure after all and I'm not Cyril Despres so some scuffage is to be expected
pulpo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote