Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #76
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Is it possible to get the .apk?
Maybe I don't understand the question..?
.. but if you mean where can you get the apk?
... then yes, it's listed on the Google Play Store

here..
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2x4.EMFB&hl=en

at this time, there is no iPhone app for it.. it only works on Androids..

thanks,
Dennis
wingwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #77
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

working on a new feature for EMFB..
.. keep track of your friends...
should be REALLY useful on the Ural.. lol..

Viewable from any browser but to transmit your location you'd have to enable the feature in my app...

let me know what you think and what else it might need?

not ready yet but making progress..
Click on "Where is" or click on any individual marker
..prototype output here:
http://fogbog.com/v6aBuddyList.htm

.. thanks,
Dennis
http://www.fogbog.com

wingwing screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:34 AM
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #78
Late for the Party
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
EMFB Option

Dennis,
I am using the latest EMFB, and I love this app.

I recently rode with a friend, and he asked me if the app would do something he and I used to want from his older GPS (I don't remember the model).

I am wondering if there is an option to show a nav screen that isn't a map, but rather a compass, local time, and temperature display. I'd seen this years ago, and this would make the type of riding I do on occasion easier. The display I'd seen years ago had a compass rose and local time in digital, and because these were the only two things displayed, the size of the display was pretty big and easy to read.

I have looked at separate compass apps, and none display time (or temp) with a compass rose. I am contemplating using the compass app with a stand-alone dash clock on my KLR, but I'd rather have them in one place.
How hard would it be to adapt a screen in EMFB to display compass rose, time, and maybe temp?

Thanks in advance.
Late for the Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #79
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late for the Party View Post
Dennis,
I am using the latest EMFB, and I love this app.

I recently rode with a friend, and he asked me if the app would do something he and I used to want from his older GPS (I don't remember the model).

I am wondering if there is an option to show a nav screen that isn't a map, but rather a compass, local time, and temperature display. I'd seen this years ago, and this would make the type of riding I do on occasion easier. The display I'd seen years ago had a compass rose and local time in digital, and because these were the only two things displayed, the size of the display was pretty big and easy to read.

I have looked at separate compass apps, and none display time (or temp) with a compass rose. I am contemplating using the compass app with a stand-alone dash clock on my KLR, but I'd rather have them in one place.
How hard would it be to adapt a screen in EMFB to display compass rose, time, and maybe temp?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I like it..

I could add another "view" either via a button or maybe just include it into the MENU to display..
I already have the time and temp "parsed" from the NOAA site..
..I've already added a "direction" function (heading) based on the internal orientation sensor for the Buddy List feature I'm working on..
.. but I'd have to add at least 8 cardinal point graphics to depict N-NE-E-SE-S-SW-W-NW
That will provide a nice graphical output instead of just a digital reading.
All sounds very doable if I don't run out of code space.
(of course, you WILL have to mount the phone in the direction you are heading)

Caveat.. the Android orientation sensor is probably the least "mature" Android feature..
.. by that I mean if you read the forums, many people have issues with it reporting the correct direction..
... it's usually fixable with 3rd party "calibration" tools but imho one should not have to do that
but right now, that is the state of the art.

I plan on coming out with at least one more major UPDATE to EMFB before I hit the road again this spring so I'll try and have it working before that...
(my usual MO is: work on the app all winter, but then not so much during spring-summer-fall
which is when i'm out on the road "testing" it (wink wink).

And please, if you've not already gone to GOOGLE PLAY and given EMFB a 5 STAR rating and a few kind words,
now would be a great time to do it..
I don't advertise it anywhere so "word of mouth" via the PLAY store is the only exposure it gets.
( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2x4.EMFB&hl=en )

thanks again,
Dennis
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #80
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

small update...
..no download needed..

Added Animated Water Vapor view to the "SATELLITES" button
(first tap on Satellites.. then tap on >>Water Vapor Images>>)

looks like this (only 12 hour animated)

Dennis
www.fogbog.com
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2x4.EMFB&hl=en

wingwing screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:55 AM
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #81
Rainman901
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Base to Composite radar switching and Dual function buttons

I sent Dennis a PM today asking about changing from Base to Composite and vice versa on the "follow me" weather. I was having some trouble with it and needed some clarification. I have to say that Dennis was quick to reply and very helpful. If he doesn't mind too much I am going to add his information to help others because it answered my question and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingwing
Thanks for the good feedback..

re: "The change between BASE and Composite seems to be finicky."

If you are expecting the BASE/COMP button to behave like a "toggle" between the two functions, then you are correct.. it's not consistent.
But actually, it's not a toggle.

Like most of the buttons on EMFB there is a "default" action and a "secondary" action.. I've tried to keep them "related".

The default action occurs when you "normally" tap the button..
.. in this case, if you tap "START RADAR" button the default action is to show the COMP-SR view.

But if you "tap & hold" the same button (aka "long tap" or aka "long press") for a slightly longer time, then the secondary function is triggered..
(you don't hold until something happens..
.. you just hold a little longer than usual)
So a tap&hold of the same button shows the BASE-LR radar view.

It's the only way I could come up with to provide two functions for each button..
..otherwise the display would be crowded with twice as many but smaller buttons.

On screen two:
Both the HOURLY and 7-DAY buttons are both dual function buttons.
You short tap for the local HOURLY information but
..tap&hold to get the HOURLY forecast for elsewhere.
The same for the 7-DAY button.. short tap for local forecast but tap&hold for a forecast elsewhere.

On the main screen:
DESTINATION, NAVIGATION and WEATHER are all dual function buttons.

short tap DESTINATION to activate the mic for a new input..
.. but tap&hold DESTINATION for a list of previous destinations that you can pick from.

short tap NAVIGATION and you open google Navigation with HOME filled in..
..but tap&hold NAVIGATION and you get to see what it's set to and also the ability to easily clear it so you can set something new.

short tap WEATHER and you go to screen two
.. but tap&hold WEATHER and you get a 48 hour forecast that you can have read back to you.

There is one more dual function button.
It is the big RED CLOSE EMFB button.
short tap to close EMFB
..but tap&hold CLOSE EMFB and you get to see what I call "system info".. That is basically a summary of how you have the phone set up and what resources it's currently using.

I hope that clears things up about how the buttons should behave?
.. maybe they won't seem so inconsistent now..
.. let me know?

thanks again,
Dennis

2012 DL650 Wee Strom,
Rainman901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #82
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Dennis

There is another thread on-going about using an Android tablet for GPS navigation for those of us tired of squinting at font-sizes only a teenager can read. (Link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847431 ). My Garmin CS60 series is almost illegible given it's 2x2 inches. So here's my question.....

Are the maps in EFMB stored internal to the phone (or in this case, tablet) or must they download realtime via WiFi or 3G ??
How does it work when out of range of a signal ? Sorry if this is mentioned in the thread previously, but I haven't seen it addressed.

I'm about THIS CLOSE ( II ) to buying a cheap tablet and experimenting with the concept.

Thanx

Coop
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #83
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Dennis, There is another thread on-going about using an Android tablet for GPS navigation for those of us tired of squinting at font-sizes only a teenager can read. (Link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847431 ). My Garmin CS60 series is almost illegible given it's 2x2 inches. So here's my question.....
Are the maps in EFMB stored internal to the phone (or in this case, tablet) or must they download realtime via WiFi or 3G ??
either way.. you can download on the fly if you have signal.. or Google Maps lets you preload as many maps "chunks" as you wish in advance..
.. each one is limited to about 500 sq miles.
i.e. when I go up the GREAT SMOKEY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK (Bryson City area) I make sure and preload the maps because the hills and valleys often block the signal.. ONE map can cover just about the whole park but I usually "checkerboard" around the main map so with about 5 preloaded maps I cover a good chunk of the entire SouthEast.
Remember, most tablets are are WiFi only.. so when you leave your house if you want to continue using it, you have to use your phone as a WiFi "hot spot"..
..the carriers charge a few bucks extra for that feature but it's worth it.
With that, your tablet will work just about like a phone.

Quote:
How does it work when out of range of a signal ? Sorry if this is mentioned in the thread previously, but I haven't seen it addressed.
well, anything that needs to be "fetched" from the network is not accessible.. but I'm never "out of range" for very long..
.. it comes and goes when you're in the mountains.
I live in Florida and they have that really covered well.. I'm hardly EVER out of range..
.. out in the middle of Nevada it might be a different story..
... but again, for maps you can preload them.. it's only the weather portion of my app that requires a connection to remain continuously "fresh".
Quote:
I'm about THIS CLOSE ( II ) to buying a cheap tablet and experimenting with the concept. Thanx Coop
if you do, get the Nexus 7 inch with 32 gig.. (about $250)..
..I just started work on making my app compatible with tablets.. it already is but is not really optimized for all that additional screen area yet. I'm working on it..
Tablets ARE NOT all made the same.. the OEM adds and takes away as suits their purpose so what works on one may not work on another.. it's called "fragmentation"..
That is why both my phone and table are from GOOGLE NEXUS... that is pure android without anything added or removed..
I can tell people my app will definitely work on a "real" Android device but if you buy some cheapie thing which I call "an Android-LIKE" device ..
..well then it's a roll of the dice on whether or not stuff works..

Please repost this on the other thread if you think it worthwhile to do so..
.. I'll be happy to answer any questions..

I field many similar questions between this site and the cruiser site so I put together a "getting started" FAQ
.. if you are interested and have some time to read, check out:
http://www.fogbog.com/gl1800/Android...hing/index.htm

also find links to screen shots and more FAQ and change logs at:
http://www.fogbog.com

I love my "big" screen Nexus.. my eyes don't work so good anymore either and that's what got me into making apps that work FOR ME
(and others that no longer have "20 year old eyes").

thanks and let me know if I can help...
Dennis
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #84
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Great answers ! Thanx !!
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #85
JayL
n00b

Oddometer: 4
May have already been discussed, I didn't read the whole thread, any plans to develop this app for the iPhone?
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #86
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
May have already been discussed, I didn't read the whole thread, any plans to develop this app for the iPhone?
Not at this time..

Dennis

wingwing screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 04:52 AM
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #87
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 643
At the time of posting this, the app is not available in the Play Store. Should I keep checking back or is there some other problem?
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #88
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
At the time of posting this, the app is not available in the Play Store. Should I keep checking back or is there some other problem?
Please keep checking.
I have suspended new sales.

Google Maps is about to make some changes which may impact one feature of EMFB..
.. that is the "follow me radar".
..everything else still works normally.

I'm working on redoing the code for that part of the app and thought it would be in everyone's best interest to suspend sales until I solve the problem.

I appreciate your patience until I can get this satisfactorily resolved.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #89
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 115
Hi Dennis,

I'm new to GPS navi on a bike and have one main question so far!
I want something to use to pre-plan rides at home on the laptop and Google Maps is good for that. The places I'll pass through will be way out of range of the mobile phone service, so my question relates to the functionality of the maps when they're cached onto the tablet: Is each map which you cache a simple snapshot view which can be zoomed into but doesn't have any more info to reveal as you zoom in? Or is it fully functional so that you can keep zooming in to find more detail as you do with Maps on line.
In case the words are getting in the way of the question: Example: I'm to travel a mountain road for 100 miles with no side roads or turn-offs. So I have a map showing most of the 100 miles in one screen view - just to keep track of progress. Then I come to a town in which I have a couple turns to make into side streets, so I want a zoomed in map with maybe a few hundred yards shown on the one screen view. Am I going to be able to use the one map, and zoom right in when I get to town, or should I be caching another map with the zoomed in view?

I'm hoping the long question makes a short answer!

Thanks for all your work, I'm looking forward to trying out your efforts.
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #90
wingwing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes...
:-)

Once you cache an area on the phone the roads map is just like you are connected..
.. you don't have the SAT view.. only roads and your current position superimposed over the map.

.. easy to simulate..
First cache a map on the phone..
.. then put your phone in airplane mode..
(that simulates being out of signal range)
... now open maps to your saved area and see how far you can zoom in.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Messiah View Post
Hi Dennis,

I'm new to GPS navi on a bike and have one main question so far!
I want something to use to pre-plan rides at home on the laptop and Google Maps is good for that. The places I'll pass through will be way out of range of the mobile phone service, so my question relates to the functionality of the maps when they're cached onto the tablet: Is each map which you cache a simple snapshot view which can be zoomed into but doesn't have any more info to reveal as you zoom in? Or is it fully functional so that you can keep zooming in to find more detail as you do with Maps on line.
In case the words are getting in the way of the question: Example: I'm to travel a mountain road for 100 miles with no side roads or turn-offs. So I have a map showing most of the 100 miles in one screen view - just to keep track of progress. Then I come to a town in which I have a couple turns to make into side streets, so I want a zoomed in map with maybe a few hundred yards shown on the one screen view. Am I going to be able to use the one map, and zoom right in when I get to town, or should I be caching another map with the zoomed in view?

I'm hoping the long question makes a short answer!

Thanks for all your work, I'm looking forward to trying out your efforts.