Oddometer: 5,284
Is DP pushing Barreda or just hanging on
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #12197
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

taking 9 seconds off the guy opening the course in front of you, after approximately 100kms is nothing. I might even call it underperforming

Unless the guy in front of you is an alien

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #12198
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Stan Watt & Tim Forman on yesterday's stage:

120kph crash and a dislocated shoulder for Stan Watt

The Crescent KTM and Front Row GB team of Stan Watt and Tim Forman both had dramatic days on stage nine of the 2013 Dakar after suffering spectacular crashes.

In a day that the majority of riders complained about severe dust, Watt had a huge 120kph crash in which he dislocated his shoulder. Thankfully his shoulder went back in on its own and the tough Irishman was able to grind out the remainder of the stage, finishing in 50th place. Due to the severity of the crash, Watt was initially reported to be out of the Dakar due to his injury, but continued to ride despite the accident happening only 120km into the 593km stage. Although 50th place is Watt’s second worst stage result of the race, he wasn’t the only rider having problems which meant he has actually moved up the overall standings to 29th position.

Tim Forman was also the victim of severe dust and quads. Having started in a lowly 83rd position he was unable to ride at his normal fast pace, but was still able to make big inroads, finishing the stage in 45th place, despite a crash. Like Watt he moved up in the standings and now holds 33rd spot.

Tomorrow’s stage will take the Crescent KTM Front Row GB team from Cordoba to La Roja with the organisers likening parts of the route to Ireland! It includes a total of 279km of liaison and a 357km special.

Stan Watt: “I had a big crash today – the best way I can describe it is like the Connor Cummings crash on the IOM TT! I had four quads in front of me and because of the dust they throw up it was so dangerous. The bike was flying and I’d got past three of them. I went for a pass around the outside of a fast corner and lost the front. There was a raised edge on the track and that sent me up into the air and then I dropped about 30ft, landed on a load of rocks and then came to a stop at the base of a tree. The bike had gone even further, but luckily there were some locals around who managed to get my bike out. It was a big hit, but I knew I had to get going pretty quick otherwise I would have seized up.

“The front of the bike was all bent - as were the discs - but it started up in about 10 seconds and I got on with it. Unfortunately it was only at the start of the stage so I had a fair way to go. Because there were so many trees, the dust was just hanging and the quads kick up so much it really was dangerous trying to make a pass. I must have been going 120kph when I went down, but it was my fault.”

Tim Forman: “I was going around a right-hand sweeping corner and there was a fork in the path with rocks in the middle. I realised I wasn’t going to make it so I laid the bike down and slid along the ground. I stopped and I could see the bike still sliding and I thought it had gone over the edge of a ravine, but when I got there the wheels were hanging over the edge and I was able to pull it back and get going again. I bruised the side of my right hand in the crash, but that’s about it. It’s really is so difficult to pass the quads on terrain like this, one went out in front of me when he broke a wheel and they also seem to pull over occasionally, but that was about the only way I could get past.”
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #12199
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,426
Barreda and CD are essentially neck and neck! Barreda is going as fast following as CD is navigating.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #12200
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Farres who was 8th + 2'30, stopped at km127, as per dakar com
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #12201
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Unless the guy in front of you is an alien
cue WP5. Barreda 1 second faster than Cyril. Like I said, nothing.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #12202
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:

taking 9 seconds off the guy opening the course in front of you, after approximately 100kms is nothing. I might even call it underperforming
it's certianly not alien territory
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #12203
catas
Orange rider

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Barreda and CD are essentially neck and neck! Barreda is going as fast following as CD is navigating.
I think CD doesn't mind to loose few minutes to Barreda, since he's not a threat to overall and will avoid CD to open course tomorrow
catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #12204
minnow
Let's go...

Oddometer: 833
Live

Any links to where it's live on air now? It's midnight down under and I need fix! Help?
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited to what we all know now and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand” Albert Einstein.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #12205
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,194
Quote:
cue WP5. Barreda 1 second faster than Cyril. Like I said, nothing.
They are riding roads again today? Not to diminish it but the nav today isn't comparable to open terrain...Fiambala....that's where I'd like too see him lead and win..he's the only one in the field capable

Did we get a story out of Luis or his team?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #12206
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 344
Talking Portuguese do it better

... very proud of my compatriot Ruben Faria
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #12207
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Stan Watt & Tim Forman on yesterday's stage:

120kph crash and a dislocated shoulder for Stan Watt

Stan Watt: “I had a big crash today – the best way I can describe it is like the Connor Cummings crash on the IOM TT! I had four quads in front of me and because of the dust they throw up it was so dangerous. The bike was flying and I’d got past three of them. I went for a pass around the outside of a fast corner and lost the front. There was a raised edge on the track and that sent me up into the air and then I dropped about 30ft, landed on a load of rocks and then came to a stop at the base of a tree. The bike had gone even further, but luckily there were some locals around who managed to get my bike out. It was a big hit, but I knew I had to get going pretty quick otherwise I would have seized up.

“The front of the bike was all bent - as were the discs - but it started up in about 10 seconds and I got on with it. Unfortunately it was only at the start of the stage so I had a fair way to go. Because there were so many trees, the dust was just hanging and the quads kick up so much it really was dangerous trying to make a pass. I must have been going 120kph when I went down, but it was my fault.”

Tim Forman: “I was going around a right-hand sweeping corner and there was a fork in the path with rocks in the middle. I realised I wasn’t going to make it so I laid the bike down and slid along the ground. I stopped and I could see the bike still sliding and I thought it had gone over the edge of a ravine, but when I got there the wheels were hanging over the edge and I was able to pull it back and get going again. I bruised the side of my right hand in the crash, but that’s about it. It’s really is so difficult to pass the quads on terrain like this, one went out in front of me when he broke a wheel and they also seem to pull over occasionally, but that was about the only way I could get past.”
tough guys
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #12208
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,426
Husky: winning stages and all in the top five, but no overalls in the picture. SOmething in there about the best dress and a handsomest date, but no prom queen

Bang Bang, Speedy and Allobutturi are fast, faster, and even fasterer today, through WP5.

Edit: Ivan and Helder snuck in there
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #12209
EKIN
Couch Junky Heaven

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
ADV's Rockstars

GOOD MORNING.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #12210
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Any links to where it's live on air now? It's midnight down under and I need fix! Help?
None right now sadly. We're all following the live timing on:
http://trackingdakar.nl/index.php?page=summary or
http://monitor.trackingdakar.nl/
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote