ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #196
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,029
Heck, if the count gets any bigger for the Pumpkin Parade, I'm gonna bring the CRF instead just to be different. I was looking forward to Not having to kick start a dirt bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #197
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Heck, if the count gets any bigger for the Pumpkin Parade, I'm gonna bring the CRF instead just to be different. I was looking forward to Not having to kick start a dirt bike.

Be careful about bringing a different bike. I've been a real oddball at some of their get-togethers with my KLX300S, and they made me camp outside of a 100 yard perimeter. Snobs!!!

TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #198
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The section in question is almost all cruising, lots of 5th (and 6th ) gear stuff, you'll probably get max mileage in that area.
For planning purposes, I'm going to assume 40mpg on my EXC with taller gearing.

It's a ways out, so things might change.....

I'm planning on spending the entire week prior to the ride in the Moab area with my lovely wife. We'll be doing some of the moderate trails in the area.

I've suggested that I attend the first two days of this ride. Paula would then drag our toy hauler over to Temple Mtn to meet up with us on Saturday night. We have a built in 25-30 gallon fuel tank with electric pump. Since I'll be headed home from the Swell, all of that gas would be available to sell (at "market rates" ) to other riders.

Again, it's a ways out. If we have break downs or injuries prior to this ride, we might take our toys and go home. It's always good to have backup plans. I would suggest bringing extra gas cans, but not filling all of them if Plan A works.

Ben, if this works out, maybe your dad would be interested in some scenic rides around the Swell with Paula on Thursday or Friday.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #199
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post

7 pumpkins, I missed one
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #200
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
For planning purposes, I'm going to assume 40mpg on my EXC with taller gearing.

It's a ways out, so things might change.....

I'm planning on spending the entire week prior to the ride in the Moab area with my lovely wife. We'll be doing some of the moderate trails in the area.

I've suggested that I attend the first two days of this ride. Paula would then drag our toy hauler over to Temple Mtn to meet up with us on Saturday night. We have a built in 25-30 gallon fuel tank with electric pump. Since I'll be headed home from the Swell, all of that gas would be available to sell (at "market rates" ) to other riders.

Again, it's a ways out. If we have break downs or injuries prior to this ride, we might take our toys and go home. It's always good to have backup plans. I would suggest bringing extra gas cans, but not filling all of them if Plan A works.

Ben, if this works out, maybe your dad would be interested in some scenic rides around the Swell with Paula on Thursday or Friday.
Jeff, thanks for the offer. Might take a little of the load off Ben's family.

We were thinking of doing a bit of low impact slickrock thurs afternoon before the ride.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #201
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
So here is what i was thinking for gas on night 2....If this will not work we will need to go into Hanksville prior to the swell.

On day two from Hite to the camping spot it will be about +- 110 miles. Then on day 3 to green river it will be about 75 miles to gas. Based on this I did not feel the bikes would be on empty at the end of day 2 and the plan was to bring several 5 gallon gas containers and put about 2 gallons in each bike. My thinking is this would be plenty to get into green river because non of the bikes should be on empty to start with (if they are you will still be in beef basin anyway, LOL).

We have tons of 5 gallon gas cans so it is not a problem for us to bring them to the swell.

I feel we will be fine, but if people see an issue we can do a blast into Hanksville, and back up through factory Buttes, but it will add at least another 2 hours to a long day??
Ben - I can certainly bring the 5 gal. containers we use when we go to Powell, that's not a problem. That'll give you about 40 gallons when you arrive at the Swell. I can get a couple more containers if needed.

But from reading through the threads it sounds like 40 gallons should be plenty. I'm certainly not going to need any for the riding I plan on doing Friday after we get down there. The question for me will be whether or not I do a portion of the ride with you guys Sunday morning. That's up for further discussion.

I plan on going into Hanksville earlier Saturday so I can ice up the beer real good and have it nice and cold when you all arrive. I'll fill the gas containers up then as well, just like we do when we go to Powell. That way, everyone can fill up their tanks Saturday night after they arrive at the Swell. If anyone feels as though they need more gas, I can run back into Hanksville after we get done eating and get more gas. Not a big deal.

I don't think anyone will have to worry about gas as long as they can make it to the Swell on day 2. We'll make sure you get the gas you need.
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #202
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Ya Im sure he'd be down for that and I think was going to do some riding on Friday after they got set up.

Dad-

Thanks...that was my plan is just to use the 5 gallon continers from the house. We will see what the final number of bikes is, but I bet 30-40 will be plenty. If you can do some of the ride sunday that would be fun. We could have the ladies pick us up in Moab and then spend another night in the Swell and go home monday if you want to do the whole ride on sunday.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #203
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ650Rider View Post
I plan on going into Hanksville earlier Saturday so I can ice up the beer real good and have it nice and cold when you all arrive.
I like the way you roll
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #204
Assfault
Exposed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Be careful about bringing a different bike. I've been a real oddball at some of their get-togethers with my KLX300S, and they made me camp outside of a 100 yard perimeter. Snobs!!!

The MN crew treated me pretty well when I crashed the C of the C ride a few years ago.
A CO boy on a Honda working in Texas at the time. I defiantly had to earn their respect though.
Chasing RF up the Box with all that dust, I felt I was in the Dakar The next day I gave up a tube so we could continue helped my case as well. It's been since then we rode together, hence signing up for this with them.
I need some more NM camaraderie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ650Rider View Post
I don't think anyone will have to worry about gas as long as they can make it to the Swell on day 2. We'll make sure you get the gas you need.
Sounds like this is handled. Thank you all. If you think we need some more fuel cans let me know, I have all kinds I can supply for the cause, I will just need to bring them up to you in Denver or wherever before the ride.
And a cold beer after all day in the saddle does sound great! I can taste the sand going down my throat as I type.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #205
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,160
Don't you hate it when this happens?

Ok how many days do I have to try and figure this out Hey Assfault--you bringing a tow rope

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #206
Assfault
Exposed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Ok how many days do I have to try and figure this out Hey Assfault--you bringing a tow rope

Rut row, ruts up with rat??? Cam chain break, or what?
Yes I carry a tow strap, but I really hate to use it on principal.
If you dont get it sorted, I have a spare bike.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #207
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Bummer, how'd that happen? Any serious damage?

Westfest 2013
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #208
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,160

Intake valves tuliped into the head--common problem on the 07. As they tulip the elephants foot on the adjuster gets too close to the rocker arm and will break off if you don't replace the intake valves. Mine had about 1.5 turns left so I decided to go ahead and replace the intakes with Kibblewhites.
Now if my memory of where everything goes can hold until I get the head back--I will be good to go

I've got the Husky TE510 in the background but it gets 38mpg with a 2 gallon tank--if I had to take it I would need a tow!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #209
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Just thought I would ask. I would love to make this trip and I know that you already have a full paddock.Do you have a standby list in case anyone drops out? I rode thru in 2010 doing the TAT and would love to see more. Just bought a new 500 XC-W and have my vacation time scheduled for May.I know it's a long shot but it would be nice to see the highlights of the area.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #210
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll let you know if we have any spots open up. Also I think inmates TNC and Builderscott were talking about doing similar rides. Maybe keep an eye out to see if they organize anything.

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
Just thought I would ask. I would love to make this trip and I know that you already have a full paddock.Do you have a standby list in case anyone drops out? I rode thru in 2010 doing the TAT and would love to see more. Just bought a new 500 XC-W and have my vacation time scheduled for May.I know it's a long shot but it would be nice to see the highlights of the area.

Westfest 2013