Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #2191
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Re: radiator "guard" . I installed one of these from Emperor Racing. I think a BRP would be built stronger but this'll do in the meantime.

http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/r...-5?pp=24&pp=24

Enjoyed the photos and short film.....Thanks !

Dave
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #2192
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
Re: radiator "guard" . I installed one of these from Emperor Racing. I think a BRP would be built stronger but this'll do in the meantime.

http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/r...-5?pp=24&pp=24

Enjoyed the photos and short film.....Thanks !

Dave
Ive got the emperor radiator guard. Havent crash tested it but i could not get it to flex. Nor could my brother and hes a pretty strong guy. Very strong. I even told him to do his best to break it haha
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #2193
JRaye89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for all the pictures and videos. I'm glad to see that the bike can take a fall or two. I've been looking hard for the white plastics and seat that the bikes overseas have. Does anyone know where i can get some?

Also you probably already know but for cheap OEM parts try:

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempa...f250l-ac-parts

JRaye89 screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 12:02 AM Reason: to add stuff
JRaye89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #2194
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
THIS is what a motorcycle should look like. Polish is for your teeth.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #2195
giap
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi guys!
interesting thread to follow, even if I don't have a CRF

subscribed!
giap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #2196
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by giap View Post
Hi guys!
interesting thread to follow, even if I don't have a CRF

subscribed!

Welcome!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #2197
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Service Manual

FYI

Called Helm Inc 1-888-292-5393. CRF Service Manual is currently sold out. They'll take your email and contact you when it's available again.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #2198
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post
THIS is what a motorcycle should look like. Polish is for your teeth.

Isn't she beautiful?
izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #2199
giap
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
Welcome!
Thanks!
giap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #2200
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
FYI

Called Helm Inc 1-888-292-5393. CRF Service Manual is currently sold out. They'll take your email and contact you when it's available again.
CRF only has them in stock, I ordered one and it was here promptly (to Canada too!) Shipping was a bit much but I emailed and asked them to ship it cheaper and they did.

I also noticed Lost Rider's pic about the shift lever. I ordered a RFX Forged Gear Shift Lever from a company on ebay, it bends on impact and looks well made. Was only $30 or so... Didn't get to try it out "yet" lol

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #2201
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
CRF250L Stalling Issue in New Zealand

We bought a CRF250L for work and I got to take it out on a fantastic three hour gravel road blast around the back roads of Raglan. I thought it was amazingly easy to ride, stock IRC tires were perfect for the dry gravel roads and the seat height was perfect for my 5'9" height. Love the fuel gauge, clutch is silky smooth. A bit slow on the road (compared to my KLR650!) and the seat is a bit hard (no big deal on either issue of course). HOWEVER, at around the 230km mark when I was slowing down coming into a stop (behind a line of cars), the bike stopped running. I was in first and had the clutch held in. I immediately hit the starter button and it came back to life. I assumed I did something wrong (?) and thought nothing more of it. About 60 odd kms later, as I slowed down to turn into my driveway the same thing happened again in the exact same manner. The next day, the Boss at work had the bike stall (shut off) three times on him while slowing down, in first gear, with the clutch in. So the dreaded "stall" issue has reared it's ugly head over here as well!! Really sucks because I am about to buy one for myself!!! I will wait to see if the dealer can fix the issue before I pull the trigger. From all I have read it is a fuel injection issue that WILL happen to SOME bikes. No known fix yet. Any advice or "secret tricks" to fix it would help because I'll bet our dealer will not have the slightest idea what is wrong.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #2202
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
There's many things that could cause that stalling and it might very well not be FI related.
Has the bike had it's first service and inspection yet?
The fact that it started right back up would lead me to believe it's not one of the more common FI related issues like a clogged injector or failed fuel pump. (not that I've been hearing much about these Honda's having those issues other bikes have)

It's under warranty, let the dealer figure it out and post up some real data instead of hearsay or speculation.
Not buying your own LRP because of this issue doesn't make sense to me but to each their own, plenty of trouble free owners in here, and many more CBR250 owners with many trouble free miles on the same motor, this isn't a new untested engine we have here.

Good luck!

My 2

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #2203
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Steady on there Captain! I am posting real info that is happening to our CRF250L. IF you read through the posts you will see that it is not an isolated incident (take a look at the CBR250 stalling issues if you want to read about a million pages of agony). I actually like the CRF, and as I stated- it does not happen to all bikes and IS clearly happening to some. Do not worry, I will certainly post updates as we try to figure out why the stalling/stopping is happening to a new motorcycle. Forums are not only for posting the good things that happen with our bikes, but also as a way to inform others of issues and hopefully rectify them.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #2204
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
You can buy a BMW 650 GS, and get the same thing, mine would stop running just like the Honda does. If I slowed down and shifted through the gears I would never have this problem, but slow down and hold the clutch in it might stall. I can say it probably happen once every 100 miles of riding and yes, it would fire right back up as if nothing had happened. It is a fuel injection problem on the BMW and the computer is telling the FI to shut down. BMW can't find a fix for it in its 12 years of production on their 650 single, but maybe Honda can. I don't think the Honda has a computer, but I'm sure it's probably has some sensor somewhere telling it the shutdown. Mine hasn't done it yet and let's hope Honda has a fix for it.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #2205
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
We bought a CRF250L for work and I got to take it out on a fantastic three hour gravel road blast around the back roads of Raglan. I thought it was amazingly easy to ride, stock IRC tires were perfect for the dry gravel roads and the seat height was perfect for my 5'9" height. Love the fuel gauge, clutch is silky smooth. A bit slow on the road (compared to my KLR650!) and the seat is a bit hard (no big deal on either issue of course). HOWEVER, at around the 230km mark when I was slowing down coming into a stop (behind a line of cars), the bike stopped running. I was in first and had the clutch held in. I immediately hit the starter button and it came back to life. I assumed I did something wrong (?) and thought nothing more of it. About 60 odd kms later, as I slowed down to turn into my driveway the same thing happened again in the exact same manner. The next day, the Boss at work had the bike stall (shut off) three times on him while slowing down, in first gear, with the clutch in. So the dreaded "stall" issue has reared it's ugly head over here as well!! Really sucks because I am about to buy one for myself!!! I will wait to see if the dealer can fix the issue before I pull the trigger. From all I have read it is a fuel injection issue that WILL happen to SOME bikes. No known fix yet. Any advice or "secret tricks" to fix it would help because I'll bet our dealer will not have the slightest idea what is wrong.
Well, looks like it is happening on bikes all around the world unfortunately. I have the Dobeck EJK on mine and a member said he had contacted Dobeck and they suggested resetting the idle switch point on the EJK controller. I did that to mine but have not ridden it since because of the cold weather. So....don't know if that will help but at any rate, it is happening just the same to totally stock bikes and it is an issue that Honda needs to address and implement a fix. Let us all know if you come up with anything and like you said, don't count on your dealer for any help with an issue like this as they will likely not have a clue. In the meantime, when you pull in the clutch and roll to a stop, keep giving it some throttle to keep the engine from idling down too low....maybe that will help for now.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote