Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Thick red starter relay wires cleaned. All starter relay connections cleaned. They were pretty cursty!
Cleaned the indicator relay connections. Clean as can be.
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #17
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
Assuming you still have the dim glow issue, allow me to suggest that pretty much everyone above is correct: poor connection to ground/power.

Now that you've burnished the starter relay reds (good idea), I'd do the following if it were my /6:

1. Clean the tip ends of the two 8 amp fuses in the headlamp bucket, the fuse holders, and reinstall the fuses; and
2. Remove the big black plug from the instrument cluster. Slightly pinch females #1 (power to signal indicator), 7 (ground) and 12 (instrument lights) in the plug to make them just slightly oval, improving the connections. Reinstall the plug.

Test and report back.

Horsehockey screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 05:14 AM
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,641
Still looking huh?

I have a different theory or source for your problem. The problem is the Yellow indicator for turn signals glows when the bike is running. The theories so far all invole the bulb for the turn signal being the source for this light energy, Photons. What if the Photons are coming from someplace else? And BTW, I'm being serious.

There is a gasket, piece of foam rubber, that isolates the individual bulb sockets from each other. It is #15 in the picture;

It is part #62 11 1 356 669. It was still available last time I looked and was never expensive, like 3 or 4 dollars.

My theory is the light is bleeding thru a tear or other deformity of the gasket from the instrument dial face lights or some other source. It has been known to happen. But is probably not as common as the bad wiring theories already covered.

BTW, I forget which model/year motorcycle you have. I'm not sure but think this part may be in all Airheads except /5. But you might check part # if you are looking at this for a different year than my bike, 1975.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 07:45 AM
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Still looking huh?

I have a different theory or source for your problem. The problem is the Yellow indicator for turn signals glows when the bike is running. The theories so far all invole the bulb for the turn signal being the source for this light energy, Photons. What if the Photons are coming from someplace else? And BTW, I'm being serious.

Charlie-
I think Helena Blavatsky was into the photon leakage theory too. Google her sometime.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I'm giving up on smart women. I always get this type. I think they think I'm smart but then when they find out I'm just another jerk like all the rest of the guys they know they leave me. No more smart women. Only real dummies from now on.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I removed the miniature hardware store today...oh I mean the instrument cluster.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

With care you can take these apart. One thing to get right is that when you put it back together don't over tighten the screws. The cover plastic breaks if the screws are more than snug. You can get it to the stage of disassembily shown in the parts fisch. Problems start when riders try to take the speedo or the tach units apart further.

If the gaskets #4, #11 and #16 are in usable shape be careful with them. They are NLA. (a term used for our bike parts that are No Longer Available)

#15 should be available if you need it.

And don't drop or loose the tiny screws they are NLA.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I thnk the only fasteners they didn't use were some reed and prince metric screws!

Anyway, I was trying to post a video.its not bleed over from another light because it happens about 1/2 a second after the other lights come on. Maybe the video camera is not fast enough to show that.

Also, removing the the turn relay causes the indicator light to be off, and the other light are on.

I cleaned all the contacts and checked the transparency printed circuit board for little like. Didn't see any. Cut with an exacto a couple of suspect spots.

I have a great idea!! Let's just print the circuit onto film!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did clean all the little connections in that rubber block.
Cleaned all the brown wire connections inside the bucket.
I moved the wires away from the sides of the headlight bucket to make sure north was worn there.
I moved the Grey flasher relay wire away from the unused upper right(as you look into the bucket) male connector, in case there was a worn spot.
I didn't ovalize the female connectors, but all but one seemed great. I'll try it though. Its easy enough.
I made a tiny cone of 400 grit sandpaper to clean inside the connectors, then some contact cleaner sprayed.
I tried measuring voltage at the indicator connections on the block, but it was zero without the rest of the instrument cluster installed.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Maybe the relay is bad?
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
Maybe the relay is bad?
It's starting to look like the only suspect. I've never had this problem. Do you think it is possible to take the relay apart and clean/fix it? I have cleaned the contacts in other relays but the turn signal relay on Airheads are not a normal type, are they?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
It's starting to look like the only suspect. Do you think it is possible to take the relay apart and clean/fix it? I have cleaned the contacts in other relays...
back to post #2:
1. Sounds like the relay is working correctly and sending the "flashing" power to the indicator bulb (black/white wire from the relay to the bulb); but I wonder if the relay might continue to send a "weak" power conncetion to the bulb? Do you have another relay that you can use for testing purposes? (I have an extra.)
It would be worth a try to take the relay apart and inspect/clean. One could try to watch it in operation when the cover is off. Then, throw it in the garbage and go buy a new relay.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The part number for the flasher relay is 61 31 1 358 194. It is listed for $92.75 at Max BMW. About the same price anywhere else. I believe it is possible to use something else but you loose some feature when you do that. I know there are articles somewhere about doing this. Maybe on the ABC site. Once again we get to the thing about you have to be a member of ABC to look at the articles there. But I think the relay is covered somewhere else also. I'll try to do some more research on the relay.

I've never looked into it because I have never had one go bad and if that should happen tomorrow I have an extra anyway. Not everybody will have an extra hundred dollar relay but I took apart a /6 bike a few years ago and have most of the parts still.

But we don't know for sure it is a bad relay do we? Nobody else has piped up that had this exact same problem?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The turn signal relay is a Hella part, made in Germany, of course. Hella #002 479-08. There is a long article on Snowbum's site and he tells how to use an ordinary three prong relay. I also found and article about taking the relay apart and cleaning it.

http://hotfootbmw.blogspot.com/2008/...her-relay.html

Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #30
bleaknessengine
Lousy Bum

Oddometer: 27
i had the same problem on my r90/6. the indicator light on the cluster would glow most of the time. i probably took the instruments apart 10 times trying to find it. bought a flasher relay at autozone for less than ten dollars, now it works perfectly! i found the part number either on the "dark secrets revealed" thread or on snowbum's website.
bleaknessengine is offline   Reply With Quote