Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #181
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
Thanks for feedback, that pretty much puts my mind to rest. I have one of those large Swiss Army looking lap-top back packs for my 17-inch work lap top that I went by the dealer with and and it wouldn't fit in the vario top box, or it at all at least not without a lot of cramming to the point I'd be worried about breaking it. It may fit in the side vario expanded (didn't try it) but not crazy about side opening boxes. Looks like it'd be an easy fit in the Jesses, I'd rather not have to wear it for long commute. I also like the idea of option for storing helmet too. Dealer is willing to give me 100s $ off of either sets of BMW cases though, so honestly my head is still swirling over which combination of boxes to get.

Thansk,
Steve
That 17 inch laptop will be difficult to fit in any top box Steve, but if you have a good case to carry it in any side pannier should be able to store it for you. As for the drag with the Jesse top box? I do not even know it's there.

To be honest I have never felt drag on any of our trips with these bags. We use the top box almost 365 days a year because it sure makes commuting easier, stores our helmets, quick release makes it easy to take of if you choose and really convenient to access "stuff" one would need on a trip without having to get into your side bags. I love the top box even though it appears to be quite large.

We have a back rest that can be attached to the box for a passenger but like you noticed we rarely ride two up. Cheryl is my passenger at times and with the Jesse box it's a little snug on the 800 but she can lean back and says she is comfy. The color is black and we have the 8inch old version of the Safari. Thought about trading up the 9 inch but even Al Jesse said "keep the smaller ones, you are used to traveling with them and why add more space for more crap?"

We used these on the Triumph Tigers we borrowed thanks to Al Jesse and with all the rain we ride in they have proven to be water tight. I really like the look and functionality of these bags. Like the rounded corners and even the mount. Jesse luggage mounts close to your bike making as narrow as possible. Many other systems I see out there make the bags stick out more than they should. Cheryl and I like the idea of using a system that keeps the bike narrow within the handle bars width so when we ride in traffic etc, we are not worried about clearance.

in the end, it's all about your own needs, budget and of course if you like the look. So, good luck, I think I would get a smaller laptop to start and then get some luggage... I can fit my 13 inch MacBook Pro in the top box no problem and I make sure I use a well padded cover.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #182
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
"That 17 inch laptop will be difficult to fit in any top box"

That's what I was wondering about. I hate to order boxes around a lap top, but I won't be due for another one from work for a while and may be stuck with this one for time being unless I can trade with a co-worker who has a smaller one. My next laptop will be smaller to lighten the load, and since I'm almost always plugged in to remote monitor anyway, but for the moment will need to lug this thing around, so looks like I'll need side cases large enough for this thing.

So in this thread I've seen the 3 piece Jesse's, which I think look awesome, and I wasn't aware that there was a backrest available for when riding with passengers, which my wife may like. I've also seen Jesse panniers paired with Givi top box and BMW vario top box; either combo also looked pretty good, though I suppose those were paired by people who already had a top box they wanted to keep. Even with dealer discount the BMW aluminum panniers will cost more than the Jesses, or at best about the same. The polished aluminium looks good and they are top-loading, but knowing that I'm lazy to keep aluminum polished and considering there may be aluminum dust to deal with over time, I'm still leaning toward powder-coated inside-and-out Jesse's. Also, Jesse's are tight to the bike and narrower overall than BMW aluminums. I think my questions are answered.

Thanks everyone.
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #183
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Okay time has come to order Jesses for my new Kalamata. Looks like black is the choice and looks good, but for due diligence in consideration, has anyone seen the charcoal color Jesses on the Kalamata color 800gs? Wondering how that looks. Unless I see charcoal mounted and think it looks better, I'll be ordering black in the next day or two.

Does anyone use CeeBailys (spelling?) Jesse case liners?

Now a little off topic: I've decided to go with BMW hand guard since there's so much speculation whether different screens will fit with Barkbusters, and I like the BMs backbone is stainless not aluminum, and they don't stick out so far, etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #184
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,279
we had the CB shield on the 650's as you know. Loved but the older version would not fit the BB hanguards. They would hit too fast at full lock. We use the Jesse top pannier liners all the time but not the side bag liners even though we have them.

soph9 screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:31 PM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #185
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
Okay time has come to order Jesses for my new Kalamata. Looks like black is the choice and looks good, but for due diligence in consideration, has anyone seen the charcoal color Jesses on the Kalamata color 800gs? Wondering how that looks. Unless I see charcoal mounted and think it looks better, I'll be ordering black in the next day or two.

Does anyone use CeeBailys (spelling?) Jesse case liners?

Now a little off topic: I've decided to go with BMW hand guard since there's so much speculation whether different screens will fit with Barkbusters, and I like the BMs backbone is stainless not aluminum, and they don't stick out so far, etc.
Can't help much with any of the above except that there is an inmate that has a like new set of Jesse Safari cases that he's trying to sell.

Check out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853438
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #186
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,691
I have the Oddesy bags and they hold a lot of shit. I did not get the liner for the lower part but the liner/bag for the upper part is a great place to carry my clothes. Love them.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #187
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
Can't help much with any of the above except that there is an inmate that has a like new set of Jesse Safari cases that he's trying to sell.

Check out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853438
Thanks, I might consider these. Looks like the boxes I want. Im A bit torn though. Love to help an inmate get rid of especially at a discount from new, and on the other hand I've been thinking about ordering through my dealer and having them lumped in with purchase price on my loan for the bike.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #188
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
[QUOTE=CrustyOldFart;20452521]Thanks, I might consider these. Looks like the boxes I want. Im A bit torn though. Love to help an inmate get rid of especially at a discount from new, and on the other hand I've been thinking about ordering through my dealer and having them lumped in with purchase price on my loan for the bike.[/Q

Sent you a pm. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote