Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #121
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Tyler at ModuleMasters.
I have worked closely with the ModuleMasters folks on several complex projects that included cluster failures on Audi TT's as well as other electronic ABS dealings and I cann tell you personally that they are a great organization.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #122
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Tick tock, tick tock... sooner or later, the servos will crap out. It was a solution looking for a problem!! For a noob considering a GS, I'd say get one without servos to avoid a nasty surprise later. If it was such a good idea, bmw would have kept using them.. power assisted brakes on a car proved to be a good idea.. on a bike? nope.
I'm not saying it was a good idea, but the reports of failure have so far been very small comparred to the fear mongering. Sure, buying one without might be preferrable, maybe, but not for the price difference of the two bikes, and the fact that these are now rebuildable cheaply.

Besides, most who own the servo-assist actually like it. I know I do.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #123
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSgeorge View Post
GB...Are you saying: Anybody that has a 05 06 1200 gs,has a piece of crap? It's Technology(They are always moving forward),Just like they moved on with a new water cooled engine. Who knows,maybe they are working on a whole new power brake design?
The only real issue with the Servo-assist is that if the servo stops working, the brakes require a lot more effort than non-servo-assist bikes to stop. The brakes still work, but it could catch you off guard. That said, it is pretty rare. Furthermore, the non-servo-assist bikes also contain a servo, just not to assist in applying the brakes.

Jim
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #124
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post

I had planned on doing the bleed every two years anyway, but will change per his recommendation. It isn't a difficult job once you buy the special funnel from beemerboneyard.
The complete procedure requires a lot of different bleed points, so add a set of speedbleeders so that you can easily access all those damn bleed screws easily. With the funnel and speedbleeders, it is an easy job.

BTW, my 2005 GSA has been completely reliable; it hasn't been back to the dealer since the 1000km service.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #125
mandon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
speaking of abs modules(mines a servo)...it got fecked last october...have to be ordered from germany...and it cost me $3000++ for the unit and labor.....and lately during my xmas vacation the starter went awry, two of the magnets got loose....cost to the repair 10 bottles of beer at approx..$1.5 per bottle and $2 for the glue...
mandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #126
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandon View Post
speaking of abs modules(mines a servo)...it got fecked last october...have to be ordered from germany...and it cost me $3000++ for the unit and labor.....and lately during my xmas vacation the starter went awry, two of the magnets got loose....cost to the repair 10 bottles of beer at approx..$1.5 per bottle and $2 for the glue...
Screwed you were!

By the way,for the servo-ABS there are only 5 bleed points that need to be bled, three on the wheels and two on the ABS unit.

Notice:
There was a change in the need to bleed all the ABS controller fitting in a couple of BMW service bulletins.

Specifically in Bulletin # 34 002 06 (019) dated Apr 2006 Maintenance:

For maintenance work, the brake fluid replacement in the control circuits is now only to be carried out via the control circuit bleeding ports (see arrows in pictures). It is no longer required to replace the fluid via the bleeding ports of the metering cylinder and of the Integral circuit during routine brake fluid replacement.

Jim
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #127
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJM View Post
On the '05 I thought that was the switch for the Hazzards.
And it also stays lit when your accessory socket is hot or have the can-bus charger hooked up properly.
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #128
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
OK ... as a non BMW guy ... who has ridden motorcycles for 40 years and puttered about doing light maintenance on them.... most of the R1200 GS problems look solveable to me. It appears the right approach is to get the right tools ... do a bit of reading and research ... and put in some one on one time up close and personal with your bike.

While I haven't had a BMW before ... I did fly a German helicopter for nearly 25 years.... and it definitely had some quirks that sound similar to what I'm reading. Two thoughts from that experience. I once asked a German engineer why they didn;t do the fuel/oil intercooler/heater simple like an American manufacturer. His answer was "Vhy do it simple...vhen you can do it complex and vhunderfuhl...!"
( Because it's expensive as hell when it breaks...)

And when the kraut helicopter had a problem that the krauts couldn't engineer out ... they would first deny the problem existed ... and finally when the evidence was overwhelming they would insist the problem was a "feature...:"..

But... that helicopter was wonderfully tough and a joy to fly for a pilot that likes to explore the edges...and when properly maintained we had over 90% availability.

So I made an offer...and have gotten an acceptance on the '05...and just need to work out logistics......
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #129
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Congrats!

You have the right attitude for a BMW owner!

Jim
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #130
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post

While I haven't had a BMW before ... I did fly a German helicopter for nearly 25 years.... and it definitely had some quirks that sound similar to what I'm reading. Two thoughts from that experience. I once asked a German engineer why they didn;t do the fuel/oil intercooler/heater simple like an American manufacturer. His answer was "Vhy do it simple...vhen you can do it complex and vhunderfuhl...!"
( Because it's expensive as hell when it breaks...)

And when the kraut helicopter had a problem that the krauts couldn't engineer out ... they would first deny the problem existed ... and finally when the evidence was overwhelming they would insist the problem was a "feature...:"..
BMW makes helicopters? I thought they got out of the aerospace market after this baby:

If you understand those helicopters, you understand BMW motorcycles.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #131
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Ok not a troll or anything. I've had a vstrom for a few years, and every other little dual sport there is. I've wanted an 1150gs forever. Every time I talk to anyone on the vstrom forum they talk about how the BMWs cost so much to maintain and how things are always breaking.
well you can do an oil change yourself for $30 or you can go to the dealer and pay them $400.

The maintenance is simple - im not much of a wrench but I do all my own stuff. The bike is very simple to work on and actually quite rewarding.

In over 50K on my bike I have yet to have an actual problem - minus run-ins with farm equipment
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #132
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
BMW makes helicopters? I thought they got out of the aerospace market after this baby:

If you understand those helicopters, you understand BMW motorcycles.
An FW 190-A4 I believe...and the markings indicate the Eastern front. I would dearly love to fly one of those. I did once get to fly a P-40 and I checked out in the yellow peril, a Stearman. But the 2 aircraft I would give a small fortune to fly would be a Supermarine Spitfire or a FW 190...

This is my aircraft...

a BK117 A-4 upgraded to B-2. I liked flying Blackhawks but the BK was even more manueverable with a rigid rotorhead...

OBX-RIDER screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 06:55 PM
OBX-RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #133
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Unlike the fellow who started this thread I'm bringing one home...

Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #134
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Congrats

Quote:

Congrats!! What year (looks like an '05-'07), how many miles? more pics!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #135
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Quote:

I'm with you!! Been on the hunt for a little over a month and snagged this '07 GSA with only 1300 miles!! This must be what love feels like..

The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote