ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #301
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
That is one hell of a camper setup, shame to be parking it in a campground... you could take that thing many places around DV and have quite the base camp.
I understand wanting to hang out with these FF's though. Looking forward to seeing you.

F800...
It was just the natural evolution for me to go smaller, but still on something I can bang out long miles on slabs to travel around on. Minus the self imposed countershaft deally, the Husa does it all pretty darn well for me in my travels and exploring. Fun bike that goes where I just couldn't no matter how much I tried on the GS. Looking forward to more DV exploring on it.

I have a few extra MSR bags I'm bringing if you want to use some of them, great way to carry extra fuel without the fuss of a bulky plastic tank, or in addition to. I have two 6L and a 4L.
Yeah, Karen is of the same mindset now after a couple runs in "improved" campgrounds. She has hot water and all the comforts of home and convenience for the baby, and no need for hookups, so it is really an ideal setup for us. The puppy won't be fully safe until the first of March, so we actually will be better off being more primitive. Hoping for a full family trip in mid February if you wanna rock.

I've put a 3 gal tank on the WR and have a 3 gallon bladder as well, so I should be good on range. The only problem is that I think my bladders a very tiny leak, but we'll see. I guess I've crashed too many times on the little bike...

Makes sense on the 'berg with all the nutty places you go. I'm thinking the next weapon when I get comfy with fund availability will be a 500EXC, but not sure and may get an older used orange bike, but we'll see. In the mean time, I'll live with the mountain bike.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #302
toomanykaws
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Vegas riders?

Any Vegas riders amongst the group? I am rolling over early Saturday for the day. A long day. Hope it warms up a tad as to what it is here today.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #303
john_h
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Oh man...

This looks like a gig I gotta consider - I did DV 2 years ago solo but didn't have the experience to get in too deep. And Goler and Mengel are West Coast rights of passage that really *should* be done at least once, correct?!

My understanding is that on a Funduro you're not likely to make it up solo unless you're a pretty damn good (i.e., stay on that throttle!), that you will drop it (not a problem), and will likely need help... Spent the last 2 years getting the bike mechanically toughened up and the ham-fisted wrencher educated. Maybe it's time to get that Hero Pro and put me and the bike to the test!

I'm gonna see what i can swing here...

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #304
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

If I can do it on the pig unassisted, you'll be fine.

I'm doing the same run on the little bike on Saturday if you wanna rock. I'm out of shape and out of practice, but can certainly help get the machine up if things go sideways for you. Plus I've got a SPOT for if we run out of beer.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #305
john_h
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
well, i did install crash bars and a bash plate for a reason... this trip i guess i'll have to remember to bring a rubber mallet and a stick to straighten out my risers after said drops :)

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #306
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
If I can do it on the pig unassisted, you'll be fine.

I'm doing the same run on the little bike on Saturday if you wanna rock. I'm out of shape and out of practice, but can certainly help get the machine up if things go sideways for you. Plus I've got a SPOT for if we run out of beer.
Thats easy to say when you have 36" legs
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #307
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

OK, next route question. In reading the Death Valley Road conditions report (thanks, Finn) I got excited for the Eureka Dunes.

So I'm thinking of doing the Lippincott to Teakettle Junction route, and then off to the Dunes, for my fuel stop to Big Pine. The only problem is from Big Pine back to Furnace Creek is another 150 miles on pavement.

Any better ideas other than to back track back?

Actually as I look, I think to back track would not only be more fun, but probably faster. I was going to do Titus to finish the day out, but I'll probably just cut south from there on North Hwy or whatever and head to camp.

I've not been to the dunes yet, so I think that would be more fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #308
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h View Post
Oh man...

This looks like a gig I gotta consider - I did DV 2 years ago solo but didn't have the experience to get in too deep. And Goler and Mengel are West Coast rights of passage that really *should* be done at least once, correct?!

My understanding is that on a Funduro you're not likely to make it up solo unless you're a pretty damn good (i.e., stay on that throttle!), that you will drop it (not a problem), and will likely need help... Spent the last 2 years getting the bike mechanically toughened up and the ham-fisted wrencher educated. Maybe it's time to get that Hero Pro and put me and the bike to the test!

I'm gonna see what i can swing here...

Not trying to say much really.... but I've dragged Nancy, a 125 pound girl who's first sat down on a bike 2 years ago through most of the rides in DV, most of them with her on a 450 pound thumper GS without knobbies. It's all in one's attitude, and for the lesser part one's commitment. She doesn't let off the throttle no matter what, sometimes scaring the shit out of me. "but darling you SAID to stay on the throttle", I say, "not when there's a 200 foot cliff"!

For the most part I encourage people to ride and explore solo. If you can't depend on yourself then who can you depend on... As long as you can pick up your bike or carry a EZ-pull, and carry a satellite device like a SPOT or DeLorme Inreach with a good plan made before your ride for check-ins, there's no reason not to explore DV on your own, the reality is you're not that far from help out there. Even if you can't hit your HELP button on a SPOT, your pre determined plan will unfold and one of the many local authorities WILL be to help you in short order once your family alerts them.
Nothing more satisfying than getting to and back from somewhere on your own IMO.

With that said, I should be at this event and will be happy to ride with anyone who's not so sure of themselves, I'm not going to hold someones hand, I'm not an off road instructor, go see Jimmy Lewis for that, but if I can help encourage a fellow rider to do something on their own, without my help, then I did my part in promoting our ADV ways. If Nancy can do it with some encouragement, then so should other people with the right attitude.

You can do it!

Here's a little video from our ride last week to get the juices flowing, complete with some naked time.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 08:31 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #309
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Thats easy to say when you have 36" legs
Well, everyone has their cross to bear...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #310
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Doesn't saline valley road go all the way to big pine? That might cut out some pavement miles.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #311
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
OK, next route question. In reading the Death Valley Road conditions report (thanks, Finn) I got excited for the Eureka Dunes.

So I'm thinking of doing the Lippincott to Teakettle Junction route, and then off to the Dunes, for my fuel stop to Big Pine. The only problem is from Big Pine back to Furnace Creek is another 150 miles on pavement.

Any better ideas other than to back track back?

Actually as I look, I think to back track would not only be more fun, but probably faster. I was going to do Titus to finish the day out, but I'll probably just cut south from there on North Hwy or whatever and head to camp.

I've not been to the dunes yet, so I think that would be more fun.

Of course my recommendation would be to fuck off camping in a parking lot your last night and go park that badass ADV mobile you gots out on Saline Valley Rd at Boxcar cabin and do the loop to hot srings, eureka dunes via Steel pass, around to racetrack, lunch at Scotty's, down lippencott and then back, bypassing 200 miles of pavement and getting some quiet time.
I'd be down to join you for a mini adventure like that... Would even show you some great alternate routes on some super fun knarley two track instead of all of Saline rd....

Or basecamp at the dunes and do the loop just the same...

when you got to leave to head home?...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #312
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

I just did a track back and should be fine. Will be a LONG ay of riding.

By my route calculations, it will be 220 from Furnace creek to Big Pine via Saline, Lippincott, and over to the Dunes. And then there will be 126 for the track back.

By GPS it says all this will take 6.5 hours. I'm figuring a minimum of 8 hours total for all this which means I'll need to get on the road by 8 at the very latest.

This is the Friday ride.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #313
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Of course my recommendation would be to fuck off camping in a parking lot your last night and go park that badass ADV mobile you gots out on Saline Valley Rd at Boxcar cabin and do the loop to hot srings, eureka dunes via Steel pass, around to racetrack, lunch at Scotty's, down lippencott and then back, bypassing 200 miles of pavement and getting some quiet time.
I'd be down to join you for a mini adventure like that... Would even show you some great alternate routes on some super fun knarley two track instead of all of Saline rd....

Or basecamp at the dunes and do the loop just the same...

when you got to leave to head home?...
Hmm... I might be convinced...

I gotta leave on Sunday first thing as I've got a call with my boss very first thing Monday morning.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #314
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Wife and new baby in addition to job responsibilities sport, so there's only so much time I can spend away. The only reason Karen isn't coming is b/c of the new puppy. The next trip will be the whole family.

Truth be told, it's kinda silly to bring the full monty for just me for a couple days, but this is a good run for me to do a longer drive and test with the setup without worrying the boss on the baby.

I'm leaving on Weds around close of business and am going to boondock at Panoche Hills that night and then on in first thing Thursday morning. That seemed like the best time to do what you were describing, but in actuality I'd lose a half day of riding unless I left before sunrise on Thursday and get to the cabin in the morning and took off immediately on the bike and then repeated the same thing Friday morning. Too much driving.

On our next trip down in Feb, I'd really like to do something like this though. We'll chat when I see you down there.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #315
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I'm trying to plan a route to see the racetrack and saline warm springs (2 separate days of riding). And checking this link: http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Morning-Report.pdf I'm a little puzzled.

When I see that Saline road is 'posted closed' that means the closure is only a suggestion, right? My bike is too heavy to pull under a gate ;)