User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Buddyv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
1150 GSA ABS lights....

.... rode my 2002 1150 GSA today...... after a few start-ups, the (2) abs lights that typically flash back and forth before ignition STAYED ON AFTER DRIVING AWAY.

Uh... that never happened before..... and left me thinking that the ABS is not activated.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, in advance. (hope it's a quick, easy fix).
Buddyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,834
It is your battery most likely. The ABS needs to see a certain voltage at startup and you bettery ain't providing it. To confirm this you can drive a bit and then stop and restart your bike. Of course I just play mechanic in my garage so I could be wrong. I have also performed an ABS reset which is jumping the contacts in your ABS plug located on top of the air filter under your seat. Instructions are in the HOW at the bottom of the page.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
I don't know if your 2002 has servo-assist ABS or not but your ABS lights should be flashing simultaneously when you first turn the key to the on position, not alternating flashing.

Jazz62 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:53 PM
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Stayed on, as in stayed flashing? Or stayed on, as in a steady light on?

When this happened to me, it was the brake light bulb. There are two filaments in the bulb, so one goes out, it will vary the voltage so the light still works, but in a "failed" state (so it doesn't look like the bulb is out). When I replaced the bulb, my ABS warning light worked as it should. This was from a steady light on.

This was the $4 fix when I thought it was going to be much more expensive.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Buddyv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
everycredit....

lights flashing back... and forth.... and back....etc.

I suspect it could be my battery. The previous owned called me back. Only time it happened to her was when she had not ridden the bike in a short while. She then put a trickle charger and problem solved.

I have a Battery Tender I will try..... fingers crossed.

If not, I understand the brake fluid being just a bit low could cause issues.

I will check in after I try the battery,
Buddyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyv View Post
lights flashing back... and forth.... and back....etc.

I suspect it could be my battery. The previous owned called me back. Only time it happened to her was when she had not ridden the bike in a short while. She then put a trickle charger and problem solved.

I have a Battery Tender I will try..... fingers crossed.

If not, I understand the brake fluid being just a bit low could cause issues.

I will check in after I try the battery,
Good luck! I always try the cheapest option first before getting more expensive. Hopefully this will solve your problem.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I'll bet on the battery also. The 1150 is very picky about voltage. Even though you have enough to start, the brake system isn't happy. Try the charger and if that doesn't clear it up have your battery tested.

I had a 6 y/o battery that unless it was constantly on a charger would throw the ABS into fault. A new Oddessy PC680 fixed that problem.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,373
yes, battery is most likely the cause. Odyssey is the cure. or you can do the mod that delays the ABS startup until the alternator is working.

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...oltage_Fix.htm

if you do the mod, you do not need the extra relay... you can wire from the alternator to the ABS. thats how I did mine a couple years ago & no complaints.

the burnt bulb thing everycredit posted about is on later iABS starting in either 03 or 04... pretty sure your 02 is ABS II

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326162

if you still have the original rubber brake lines, get rid of them, they are prone to failures. there are many reports of deterioration inside the lines with rubber flaking off & going into the ABS, brakes that won't release, & brakes that go to zero... mine did all the above over the course of the summer 2 years ago.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
yes, battery is most likely the cause. Odyssey is the cure. or you can do the mod that delays the ABS startup until the alternator is working.

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...oltage_Fix.htm

if you do the mod, you do not need the extra relay... you can wire from the alternator to the ABS. thats how I did mine a couple years ago & no complaints.

the burnt bulb thing everycredit posted about is on later iABS starting in either 03 or 04... pretty sure your 02 is ABS II

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326162

if you still have the original rubber brake lines, get rid of them, they are prone to failures. there are many reports of deterioration inside the lines with rubber flaking off & going into the ABS, brakes that won't release, & brakes that go to zero... mine did all the above over the course of the summer 2 years ago.
def is offline   Reply With Quote