Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #766
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgpatrsn View Post
just donated. I have been reading this RR everyday. I am stuck working and just happy to see someone out there living the dream!!!

Tgpatrsn
Thanks man! Here you are:

Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #767
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
Sent some $ your way. Hope it can help ease the bite of those expensive repairs to the bike.
We met at the HU Cambria meet up and I hope to leave Los Angeles and hit the road to Ushuaia in September on my BMW G650 X Challenge. Glad you're ok after those close calls. All the best, Bryce!

-Dan Ford
Hey! Good to hear from you again! I think September is a good time to leave. I wish now that I would have left a little earlier and had some more time down here. In any event, here you are:

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #768
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
...Interzone is VERY hippy/alternative. ... Mary's Peak is amazing! ... I posted some pictures from a ride I took ...
Thanks BF. Interzone sounds interesting, but I really wouldn't know what to expect. In the old days, the 'hippies' were the nicest people; smartest and most considerate. Not to mention, fun. But this is now, and a lot of things have changed. I wonder where modern hippies would fit in Bryce's insightful type analysis.
I remember your pics earlier. The killer landscape around there in pictures reminds me of Ecuador.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #769
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterman View Post
Donated to the adventure. Keep keeping on.

Plasterman
Thanks! I will!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #770
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Bryce: no need to reply to the donation. I appreciate your past service to our country, and the great RR. At 68 I'm hoping to spend some time in Columbia within the next couple of years after reading your report. I've done service work in Equador with medical community and loved the scenery and the people. However, your descripions of border- crossing perils are a bit much for me. Will be riding the Yellowstone area this July with my wife and hope to meet up with some of the AVriders. Unfortunately, will be too far north to make the Ouray and Silverton rallys. Ride safe!
Colombia is awesome! But really, the borders aren't that bad. Thanks a ton!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #771
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Tank

Thanks to everyone who's donated so far! I wasn't expecting that much, that fast! I know I'm missing at least one person, so chime up so I can get you on here!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #772
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
... hit up Crashmaster and his plane....

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #773
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
I sent you a couple bucks. I can't spare a ton, but hopefully my small donation can go toward something very important, like beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Oops. Thanks for brining that up. I suppose you're right. There is a different attitude towards it down here though; it may not be the same everywhere, but I've seen numerous people draining the oil/radiator fluid/gasoline/etc out of their vehicles into the ground/street/sidewalk/ect. When I started this trip I would ask people what I should do with that kind of stuff and they would tell me not to worry about it, so I stopped really worrying about it. Still, I suppose that's no excuse. I guess it's time to clean up my act.
I'm glad ONandOFF brought that up. I feel the same way. Your ride report is amazing... But I've also been cringing at your posts about dumping oil and such. You seem as though you've been proud of it. No matter where you're at on this planet, what you do ultimately affects us all. Not to mention, it does reflect poorly on both motorcyclists and westerners in general.

I know how you feel about going with the flow when everyone else around you is doing something a certain way. When I was in Iraq in '05-'06 with the army, I used to joke that Iraq was the world's largest garbage can. I would routinely throw empty MRE packets, water bottles, etc. out the windows, and we'd laugh and make jokes about it. To this day, that still bothers me that I behaved that way. I was needlessly littering a beautiful landscape. I'm sure a lot of my garbage is still blowing around the desert, when I could have easily kept it in the humvee and thrown in out when I got back to the FOB. Live and learn I guess.

I'm glad to hear that you're rethinking your stance on this matter. I'm certainly no ultra-left Prius-driving liberal, but I've come to realize that we've only got one planet that we can call home at the moment.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #774
! Danimal !
--Dan--

Oddometer: 124
I've been monitoring closely and it's official, enough lecturing has taken place. Back to the previously scheduled ride report....bring on the food, scenery, and welding pictures

Semper,
Dan
! Danimal ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #775
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0861 View Post
I've been monitoring closely and it's official, enough lecturing has taken place. Back to the previously scheduled ride report....bring on the food, scenery, and welding pictures

Semper,
Dan
X2; Bryce has been admonished enough. He is using No-Toil Evolution Air Filter Oil; he's very "green" in that respect.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #776
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,475
Rrrr! Yut Yut!

Keep the reports coming!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #777
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Okay, I just wanted to make sure the bead was seated. Was the rim bent during one of your collisions?

Here is a video which demonstrates the correct method for tightening the front axle. Of course, the XR650L only has pinch bolts on the right fork.

Spud
After watching this video, I think that may be the problem. Thanks for putting that up Spud!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #778
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... it's official, enough lecturing has taken place. ... Semper, Dan
Although we are very fortunate to have an official to designate appropriate content, no "lecturing" has taken place!

We have simply been discussing the important ramifications our behaviours in our welcoming neighbors' territory.
But thanks, anyway....

Even a 'jarhead' can get that!

Peace! Love you Devil Dogs!
Bryce; stay safe!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #779
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:

Semper,
Dan
I agree. More pictures. Include a cute girl occasionally please
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #780
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterman View Post
... Include a cute girl occasionally please

Bryce does have great pictures and descriptions, entertaining and educational; following along here is helping me keep warm and hopeful while in cold environs and sans employment! But that is a good suggestion.