Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Please Delete

Hi,

I am currently selling my motorbike and car so that i can make the transition to purchase a GSA.. I am VERY excited about it and feel that it is the right thing for me to do to get to experience more freedom of riding..

Some of the things i was hoping to be clear on prior to making a purchase..

1) What should i expect to pay for what year ( i would like LOW mileage)

With a new bike costing $20k, I was thinking that $17k would be a good budget for a 10' seeing as their are very limited amounts of used GSA's on the market, I imagine my best bet would be to purchase an ADV Premium and factor in a budget for add on's such as..

2) What budget should i factor in for getting the gear necessary so that i will be happy to just ride the bike after purchasing

Full Akrapovic Exhaust (twin) $1600 (labor cost? $140?)
Adventure Jacket/ Pants/Boots and Gloves (what gear do you ride with Socal year?)
Top box (hopefully will be coming with but just in case $500?!?!)
Michelin 2CT's
Windshield Extension
Aux Lights ? (Vision Solstice)
Insurance 1 year ($1500)
Any add ons you would reccomend as MUSTS?

A bit all over the place but hopefully it will come together the closer i get...

Look forward to hearing from you...

Regards, LukeinLA

lukeinlondon screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 05:16 PM
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,924
I think you'll get a good 2010 for well below 17.

Craigslist is your friend - look all over the country - maybe a fly-in & ride-home could help you snag your dream bike at a great price - with an adventure thrown in for good measure.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Masterpotter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I would plan on getting the bike and riding it for a time to see what your needs are. You may find it needs nothing for the way you use it. After all it's a great bike. I'd put good gear and comfort items first and then add other stuff as needed. Some Roc straps and a Dry Bag work well for that once a year big trip.
Shop for a bike that is well farkle, and remember these bikes will run for a long time if maintained (get the paperwork). So a bike with 25k or more miles is just starting to run in.
For me a non factory exhaust system would be very far down on any list I made, less mpg, more sound and less low end, but very cool looking !
Masterpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Use searchtempest.com and search for "R1200GSA" at the appropriate distance from your ZIP CODE.

Using 3500 miles will return ALL GSA's in the country on Craigslist.

Good luck with search.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
I really like cycletrader.com for finding bikes. I found my 2012 Triple Black there and then link back to dealership and now she's all mine.....

I would think unless your very tall that the stock wind screen should be just fine.

Good luck...half the fun is the hunt.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
... Some of the things i was hoping to be clear on prior to making a purchase...
Well, Luke in LA, you probably don't believe what the previous post said, but, yes: +1.

You don't need to plan all your stuff in advance, though selling your car is an impressive sacrifice.
Presumably, your bike will come with all accessories you need - at least for a while. The tires will be there, so will an exhaust.

A must?
Insurance, of course.
Riding gear: well, whatever you find (not that I want to start a hijack, but Rev'It makes nice gear for reasonable cost.)
That is it!

Anything else? Why? Why? Oh, why?
(Especially exhaust - what does Akrapovic do that BMW OEM does not?)

My own bikes are farkled to death, but I do recognize that it is all fun accessories, basically motorcycle jewelry. Nothing is really required. Where are you going to need those extra lights, for example?
Top box? How about just a soft tailbag? Cheap.

Just get a nice bike and enjoy. Thinking and planning too much will only make your head hurt (and, your wallet...)
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,729
Figure out what you are going to on spend aftermarket parts and goodies and then double that and you will be done!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I havent found a lot of information re' removing smog and airboxs that slow the bike down..but I am new to Fi. On my current bike aftermaket exhaust, air box removal, o2censor, smog stuff and aftermarket air box and you were talking A LOT of added HP! but with the GSA it seems in terms of modifying the engine or 'un-corking' it their is not much to be done?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
....but with the GSA it seems in terms of modifying the engine or 'un-corking' it their is not much to be done?
Do NOT change a thing, for two reasons. #1 doing so will likely make it run worse, decrease mpg, be less reliable, or any combination of the three. #2 You'll be wasting money. Keep in mind you're not buying a Harley!
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Night Goat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
Do NOT change a thing, for two reasons. #1 doing so will likely make it run worse, decrease mpg, be less reliable, or any combination of the three. #2 You'll be wasting money. Keep in mind you're not buying a Harley!
I would head this advise. I worked in the service department of a BMW/Triumph dealership for 5 years. More times than I can count folks would get a killer new bike and straight away "make it better" with this and that, i.e. aftermarket exhaust, CPU modifications, etc... And more times than I can count a stock bike would wipe the floor with the modded bikes.
Night Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Goat View Post
I would head this advise. I worked in the service department of a BMW/Triumph dealership for 5 years. More times than I can count folks would get a killer new bike and straight away "make it better" with this and that, i.e. aftermarket exhaust, CPU modifications, etc... And more times than I can count a stock bike would wipe the floor with the modded bikes.
+1..Most aftermarket exhausts, not all, do very little with respect to horsepower and torque gains. The added benefit of a little weight reduction certainly does not justify the expense nor the headaches down the road. The 2010 and beyond GS exhaust sounds awesome.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
+1..Most aftermarket exhausts, not all, do very little with respect to horsepower and torque gains. The added benefit of a little weight reduction certainly does not justify the expense nor the headaches down the road. The 2010 and beyond GS exhaust sounds awesome.
First thing I asked the previous owner after I test rode the 2010 (that I bought) was - "Is that an aftermarket exhaust?" - it did not sound anything like previous GS's (or boxers) I'd ridden before.

I'd join the choir here and suggest saving your dough - and using it instead to pay for a couple of extra long weekends - and get out and ride that thing.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW this is really going to be a whole new beast to me then, I have had three KTM's and the more money you put into aftermarket performance the better it ran so needless to say its been a very expensive riding career..maybe thats why Akrapovic have not made an updated exhaust for the GS if you look at all other bikes they are well on their way with the hexagonal Akra's whereas the only option GS's currently have is the REALLY old circular can (no offence)

Its kind of a relief to here that I shouldnt pump money into the performance but having seen how expensive the BMW jacket is?!! NO BLOODY WONDER ha

I sat on one in the showroom on Honda of Hollywood..it was sold and waiting for delivery brand new $26k with all the whistles..felt a bit like siting on a mythical bull... on steroids

No chance for a test ride from a dealer I only have my UK license and they said for insurance purposed they can't

I like the idea of saving the money so I can do a trip, its just not how my brain has been wired yet having a bike that i havent felt equipped to do that with..
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Buy the most bike you can afford. Spend money on farkles thereafter when you're broke--you'll learn to prioritize money in terms of food, shelter, love, and bike. It's interesting to see what people sacrifice to get TT gear.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

HAHA..

Would like to find out about Touring gear, I see a lot of people riding with XD type helmets, why do people prefer this over other helmets? What foot wear do you guys ride with?