Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #61
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Wow! What a great ride and adventure. I gotta say, though--you are a one-man moving monsoon. I have no doubt that if you had planned your trip to include parts of the southwest last summer, they would not have had ANY problems with the drought. And as far as your rain clothing being water "resistant"....well, you would have had to be in a hermetically sealed bubble to stay dry in that weather.

Out of curiosity, did you change your tire(s) out at any time during the trip?

ROFL!
Yes, at times I wondered if the sun was shining anywhere in the world!

I was a bit concerned early in the trip when I was monitoring tire wear, but once I got away from the gravel roads, the tires seemed to stop wearing.
I made it home and then changed them after another couple of hundred miles. They had over 14,000 on them when I took them off.

Michelin PR3 front
Michelin Commander II rear

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #62
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Rick... did u adjust tire preasure on gravel?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #63
holedigger101
n00b

Oddometer: 1
im wondering the total costs

Hey Rick.. I dont often see where people asks the costs involved. My question is this : once your bike was rigged like you wanted it etc and u were on the bike ready to head out... from that point, til you got back ( gas, hotels, campgrounds, eats etc) what were your approximate expenses?

Awsome job !! well done..
holedigger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #64
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Very nice work Sir!! Just finished the last of them today. I think my favorite one turned out to be the ride over Thompson Pass going to Valdez. ALCANRIDER gave me a guided (haha) tour from his home in Glenallen to Valdez and we took a little excursion off the road just over the pass. It was there that Jack took a pic of me that I consider my money shot of the entire 15k mile trip. I was watching the video over lunch the other day and the wife stepped in just as I got to the segment of you crossing the pass. I stop the clip to give her the perspective of where Jack and I were compared to the road. Brought back a good memory and was good to share with the wife

Here is my pic

Cruise back through your video and you can see the outcropping I was on for this picture!!

Thanks again for the time you spent to edit and post this RR. Pretty much locked me into buying a GoPro system. The HD video does the ride more justice than the pictures I have taken!!!
What an awesome photo!
It kills me to see the things I missed in my big rush to go everywhere in one trip!
Salmon Glacier
Lake Maligne
This mountain
etc...

Looks like I'm going to have to go back....

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #65
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterGdawg View Post
Rick... did u adjust tire preasure on gravel?
I had received some advice on reducing tire pressure on gravel, but I never did.

I hadn't really ridden this bike on gravel before, I hadn't run these tires before, I needed to get the maximum mileage out of them if I was going to make it home on one set....

So with all those excuses, I didn't feel comfortable trying something new (for me) that far from a repair shop.
Even though I had a 12v compressor with me.

I'll always wonder if the Dalton would have been easier to handle with lowered pressure.
It sure kept me busy.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #66
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holedigger101 View Post
Hey Rick.. I dont often see where people asks the costs involved. My question is this : once your bike was rigged like you wanted it etc and u were on the bike ready to head out... from that point, til you got back ( gas, hotels, campgrounds, eats etc) what were your approximate expenses?

Awsome job !! well done..
I just kept the details on the fuel....

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #67
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,297
Really enjoyed watching

Thanks for sharing. This is a ride I hope to make within the next 2 years
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #68
BumpyRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Rick,

Your videos are by far the most inspiring and helpful I have come across. I'm planning this trip in the summer of 2014 after I retire. The video gives me the clearest idea of what to expect and after watching them I've gained much confidence.

I'm curious about how you managed to keep the video camera aimed to capture all that nicely framed video. Did you have a lot left on the "cutting room floor" after editing?

Seriously well done stuff. I'm sharing it with my local "club", some of whom have made the trek already.

Many thanks!
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #69
Cliff-77
Lost Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Awesome trip

Good job,loved ur R.R.i rode to Alaska back in July&Aug.on a F650gs,11,129 mi.round trip in 22days,ready to do it again.
IBA#54495 Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,and your government when it deserves it.Mark Twain.
Cliff-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #70
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Awesome videos. I come across so many on YouTube that aren't framed or explained; just random bits of video. Excellent job with the video footage and your narration to go along with it.

Near the end of your fourth video where you ride past the immense valley to your right as Louis Armstrong plays A Wonderful World was awe-inspiring. Excellent video as well as music choice for the moment.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #71
catundaseskin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Dalton Highwat

Hi Rick, just sat and watched your videos back to back, they are amazing. I have always wanted to go there ever since my partner brought home a copy of , motorcycle tour and travel, home about 16 years ago. I was very intriuged by a black and white photograph of a road sign saying 240 miles to the next services. After we bought maps of the area we decided we would love to do it, unfortunately the trip never came off. Today watching your videos has rekindled that dream. When claire comes home tonight I will show her the videos and we are now in a situation where we can start and save and maybe do it at long last. Once again thank you Dave
catundaseskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #72
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpyRoad View Post
Rick,

I'm curious about how you managed to keep the video camera aimed to capture all that nicely framed video. Did you have a lot left on the "cutting room floor" after editing?
Yes, framing was a challenge...
I did have a couple of clips where the helmet mount was bumped off-level and I didn't know it until later.
You can see in the beginning where I did a 180 to get a second look at a bear - the camera was tilted badly.
Also, when I got to the Northwest Territories and filmed the bison around the buildings, I didn't know the lens was dirty.

I got a Wi-Fi BacPac for Christmas,so in the future I'll be able to check the picture with my iPhone app before I take off.
I chose the middle setting on lens angle. The wide angle would have been better for some of the scenery, and the narrow setting would have been better for the wildlife. The bears that look like they are a half-mile away are just a result of the lens setting.

I had to use a "stabilize" effect with my video editor SW to reduce the camera shake that comes from using a helmet mount. In some of the scenic areas, I stood on the pegs to use my legs as an extra shock absorber, giving the camera a smoother ride. If you can see the bike's windshield in the clip, I'm sitting down. Otherwise, I'm probably on the pegs.

I also learned the technique of turning my head to the side for a shot while looking straight ahead toward the highway.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #73
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catundaseskin View Post
Hi Rick, just sat and watched your videos back to back, they are amazing. I have always wanted to go there ever since my partner brought home a copy of , motorcycle tour and travel, home about 16 years ago. I was very intriuged by a black and white photograph of a road sign saying 240 miles to the next services. After we bought maps of the area we decided we would love to do it, unfortunately the trip never came off. Today watching your videos has rekindled that dream. When claire comes home tonight I will show her the videos and we are now in a situation where we can start and save and maybe do it at long last. Once again thank you Dave
Thanks, Dave.
I would never try to talk someone into making a trip like this if they weren't interested in the first place, but for someone who has felt that spark of adventure, the "Call of the Wild", I would say do it sooner than later.

We all have friends who say they want to go with us on our adventures until it comes down to the big decision... then there's always plenty of excuses for not going.

There are a lot more dreamers than doers.

But that's OK - the majority of people will always prefer safety and security over the unknown - that's what makes us "special".

I had started planning to do a Newfoundland trip, then a California trip, and then the Grand Finale of Alaska, all spread out over 3-4 years. But the more I thought about it, I decided that being 60 years old, I don't know how many trips I have left, and I didn't want to miss this one. I have dreamed of going to Alaska since I was a kid. What better way than motorcycle camping?

Look at it this way - the sooner you go on your dream adventure, the longer you'll have to savor the memories and share them with your friends!

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #74
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 489
Awesome! I watched the first 6 videos, the 7th said "not available for this platform". I've used an iPad for all.
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #75
Gotawee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Hi Rick
Thanks for posting your great RR and fantastic video's.
I sat and watched them all back to back last night.
I dream of riding Canada and Alaska, watching your video's certainly makes you feel like you are.
Thanks again
Gotawee is offline   Reply With Quote