Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #1276
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good to hear you're hanging in for a Seaworthy and inexpensive boat. May the warm trade winds blow good fortune your way.

I'm thinking about getting to Colombia too ... but from Galveston, Tx. Have you heard of any cheap transport from Texas? I could go Sea freight or Air ... but I imagine by ship would be cheaper.

I've seen Central America ... so thinking of riding to Galveston, then shipping from there. Also looking into going into Venezuela .... no info yet. I know quite a lot of shipping traffic going back and forth. Any low dollar ideas?

Cheers ... Rubber Side Down!
Hi Adv Grifter,

I noticed that rtwpaul is flying his bike back from Colombia to Miami for 900 bucks. That's the same price I would have paid yesterday to fly my bike from Panama to Colombia if Girag hadn't been booked for two weeks.

I have no idea on Texas to Colombia or Venezuela prices. Sorry. If I find out anything I will sure let you know. I'll keep my ears open.

You learn a lot about these things from other travelers on the road. It's never as easy as it sounds on the internet.

As a sidenote, I was talking with two videographers who came up the Pacific side in launchas from Colombia to Panama last week and just arrived on the bus over here. Not much boat traffic over on the Pacific side. It sounded like a wild ride. If I bring my bike back north, that is the route I will take.

Saludos,
Juan Kuna
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #1277
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Hola mis amigos de aventura,

I am currently at the last place with wifi before the cut-off to Carti down the Darien highway in Cheppo.

If you don't hear from me for a few days to a week or so it means I caught a cargo boat and am in transit to Colombia.

Of course, if you hear from me sooner it means I am enjoying the Darien still waiting for the Sherpa loveboat.

Either way it should be interesting.

All the best,
Juanito Crusoe
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #1278
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Good luck on finding a ride!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #1279
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Enjoying this RR ! and donated some to keep you riding... I'm still on page 30-something though...

Greetings from distant Poland !

mario33/M.Ozga
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #1280
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

I am actually really enjoying all the twists and turns in this saga of getting to South America. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. It's almost like a fun game now.

Hasta Mañana,
Juanito

Guru Juan,

A lesser Gringo would throw in the towel. Would say f*ck this, stomp his feet and fly his stuff back home cursing all Mexicans and all of Mexico for ruining the trip. The Gringo would forget all the great adventures in route, forget the people and places. He would dwell: How could Airlines possibly be booked? The Stahlratte wouldn’t make room for me, ! There should be more boats leaving on a regular basis, double ! 4 months of fun ruined by things not going “my way, on my schedule”.

Now the ADV’er is a different breed, but you sir are an exception: above and beyond. The world has much to learn from you, and people like you.

I’m impatiently waiting for America Sur.

Carry on!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #1281
sdwebb

Oddometer: 34
Hola John,

Thanks for this great RR. I really appreciate the detail you are putting into it. Like other riders in the thread, I hope to follow in your tracks some day (once the kids are a bit older).

I've been looking forward to the results from your Darien crossing. My personal vote (not that it matters) was for the cheap-boat method (that seems to have selected you) - it fits well with attempting to do the trip as frugally as possible and has lots of adventure attached to it. Best wishes on making it safely and with a minimal amount of vomit.

GRinCR said it well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
A lesser Gringo would throw in the towel. Would say f*ck this, stomp his feet and fly his stuff back home cursing all Mexicans and all of Mexico for ruining the trip. The Gringo would forget all the great adventures in route, forget the people and places. He would dwell: How could Airlines possibly be booked? The Stahlratte wouldn’t make room for me, ! There should be more boats leaving on a regular basis, double ! 4 months of fun ruined by things not going “my way, on my schedule”.

Now the ADV’er is a different breed, but you sir are an exception: above and beyond. The world has much to learn from you, and people like you.
Many people get frustrated when the journey (or their life) doesn't match up to their expectations; however, the secret is in putting those expectations aside and living the moment that is at hand. Enjoy the Darien crossing and the rest of the trip - however fate serves it up to you.

Cheers,
Scott

P.S. I sent a few bucks your way to cover the cost of any barf bags you may need.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #1282
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Carry on!
I concur!
Keep on keeping on!
Eyes UP, safe going ... have fun most of all.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #1283
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Maybe John found his Sherpa love boat?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #1284
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 330
Subscribed

Finally caught up and all I can say is wow John, very informative, great pictures and just my kind of style.
Keep it going and I will follow you along from the bitter cold north.
Excited to find out if you got the boat ride.
Jeff
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #1285
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Well its been a couple of days so I hope his next post is from the far side of the darian .
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #1286
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Like the rest of you, I been lookin' several times a day to get my latest Super-Sherpa fix to no avail. Sometimes, as they say, no news is good news. Seems pretty clear to me that JD is making his way 'cross the Darien, or has been kidnapped by the FARC.

I'm hoping for my first guess...!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #1287
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Hey John, shot you a donation last week, still catching up though after finding your thread a couple weeks ago. I'm planning the same trip and your thread has been a complete asset to my planning, I really appreciate it. A couple things I need to say though...

-You make it seem as if street food is inferior to that of what might be offered abroad. What you don't know is that this is the food of the gods, especially on a student budget.

-I have zero experience in construction or masonry, but I really value an ability to work for one's self and I really want to thank you for all the fun info, tidbits, and opinions on all the work you seem to find yourself attracted to on your trip.

-It's awesome that you don't drink, because I don't and never have. It makes me happy to see someone have such a great time on their trip without getting smashed, but also going in with the mindset that drinking is just another useless expense.

-Do me a favor, instead of writing my name on your gas tank, next time you stuff your face with incredible food from wherever you're at, write my name on the plate and take a photo.

All in all, I suggest you eat more street food, it builds the spirit.

Clem Kevin screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 12:26 AM
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #1288
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
or has been kidnapped by the FARC.

This being the case, Juanito would somehow have them cutting a path through the jungle, taking pictures on the sherpa and wishing him a feliz viaje on the other side.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #1289
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
and signing his tank
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #1290
jonesy792
n00b

Oddometer: 7
It took me a solid week of reading to get to this point and of course I get caught up right in the middle of the darien blackout

Loving the 250 minimalist adventure. I started riding on a ninja 250 a couple years ago and loved that bike, took it everywhere even offroad camping 2-up but ultimately caved in and upgraded to the big litre v-strom that I have now. Methinks it's time to scour craigslist for a little dualsport

I topped off your paypal acct for a couple more days of riding, can't wait to read some south american adventures!
Closed Thread