Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #4786
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a trip planned in june and i was thinking about getting the Shinko 705's for it. Well I saw the tires in person the other day, they look a lot more agressive in the pictures than they really are. Now I'm starting to lean more to getting the Kenda K270's or the Shinko 244's. Both look about the same, and get similar reviews on Motorcycle Superstore.
I use the Shinko E700's http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx ....not the 705's. More aggressive knobby and I get about 4000-4500 miles per set.

Not a fan of the squirmy feel of the 270's...especially when new.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #4787
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
The biggest thing is access to a spring compressor and a nitrogen set up with gauge to put the right amount of pressure in.
My friend here in Michigan will replace the fluid and put nitrogen in it for you for $40.00,but you have to cover shipping both ways.
If you are interested just let me know and I will give you his contact info.
That seems like a decent deal. I rebuilt my stocker solo. It was time-consuming, but simple enough.

My question would be- Why do you need to replace the shock oil? Unless you have a leak or are wanting to go to a different grade of oil or change the valving, I'd say just leave it alone. I had to replace the seal in my shock.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #4788
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I use the Shinko E700's http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx ....not the 705's. More aggressive knobby and I get about 4000-4500 miles per set.

Another +1 vote for the Shinko 700...

I know the OP was asking about the 270s and 244s. I haven't had those on my KLR. However, the 700 has served me very well.

On my current (rear) 700, I have just under 4000 miles (buttload of pavement, too). And, it's about 1-2MMs from the wear bar. I have a feeling that, once it hits the bar, it's gonna' last forever. That bar looks to be about 3-4MMs thick.

EDIT- Oh, and uhh, there has been absolutely NO quirky handling.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #4789
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
That seems like a decent deal. I rebuilt my stocker solo. It was time-consuming, but simple enough.

My question would be- Why do you need to replace the shock oil? Unless you have a leak or are wanting to go to a different grade of oil or change the valving, I'd say just leave it alone. I had to replace the seal in my shock.
What did your oil look like when you changed it ??

I just took my shock apart with 10,000 miles on it and it was black.
The damping quality is going to suffer with broken down oil.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #4790
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Another +1 vote for the Shinko 700...

I know the OP was asking about the 270s and 244s. I haven't had those on my KLR. However, the 700 has served me very well.

On my current (rear) 700, I have just under 4000 miles (buttload of pavement, too). And, it's about 1-2MMs from the wear bar. I have a feeling that, once it hits the bar, it's gonna' last forever. That bar looks to be about 3-4MMs thick.

EDIT- Oh, and uhh, there has been absolutely NO quirky handling.

Ok, so I'm thinking that the 270 and 244 may be a little squirmy on the street, which makes sense with the smaller lugs. The 700 will be less squirmy due to the larger lugs, but may not grip as good off-road. Either way the mileage should be plenty for the trip.

I'm going to hold off on ordering for my bike until we see what kind of roads we are taking. One guy is talking about coming on his R6, not sure if he's doing it or not. He's looking for a dual sport tire that will fit, but either way that'll limit our road selection.

I'm getting her klr250 tomorrow, if all goes well I'll order tires after picking the bike up. Probably will do the Kenda 270's. I'm guessing they are good in gravel in gravel and dry dirt, but I've never ridden on this style of tire. Should be good enough for her first set anyways, I doubt she's going to do much trail riding at first.

Thanks all for the advice. I've only ran DOT knobbies on any dual sport before, and have never toured on one far enough to worry about not making a trip. I like the 606/MT21 combo and have pretty much just stuck with it.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #4791
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post

Here is a sample of the oil with 10,000 miles on it that came out of my shock, and it was already rebuilt once.
I think it is due to the soft body of the shock.If you sent out the body and got it hard anodized then the oil would stay much cleaner.Eventually I plan on doing this.
I've changed fluid on Penskies with 25,000 miles and the fluid is like brand new, due to the high tech materials of the body I suspect.
IBA # 23,716
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #4792
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,426
How could the shock body material impact the rate at which the oil breaks down?

Not trolling, but curious.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #4793
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
I w2ent to start my '09 KLR to go to work tonight. It cranked twice...then...nothing. No lights, no neutral light, no tail lights, nothing. I'm thinking I blew a fuse, but won't have time to check until Monday (working 12 hour shifts tonight and tomorrow). I had the factory recall done on the wiring harness when I bought the bike. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for. Man, I hope I don't have to fart around finding a short...

It was a live short. Found it in the wiring harness behind the gages in the front cowling. Some idiot decided to route it right along a little metal "knife edge" and the brown wire wore through. I spliced the wire, re-wrapped it and the few wires next to it and re-wrapped the whole harness. Then I split a piece of old fuel hose I had and wrapped that around it and zip tied it. Then I re-routed the harrness lower and zip tied that.

Seems to have worked. Put around 100 miles on yesterday with no issues! I would love to meet the idiot that did the routing on the wiring harness, though...

Thanks for all the help everyone!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #4794
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
How could the shock body material impact the rate at which the oil breaks down?

Not trolling, but curious.
The aluminum inside the shock is not hardened or coated like a high end shock so it breaks down and contaminates the oil.The oil in my shock was like a frothy black oil with some trace of aluminum residue.Also,there is not alot of oil in the shock,so it doesnt take much for it to break down.
Its like if you take some mothers aluminum polish and rub it on a piece of aluminum that is raw your white rag will be black,but if you do the same thing on a coated or treated piece your rag will be clean.

My shock has a modified 2 stage valve stack and proper spring also so the fact that it is working more efficiently may also contribute to the oil breakdown.
IBA # 23,716
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #4795
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349
Another vote for the Sninko 700, put one on the rear late last season and matched it with a TKC front I had been given. My initial take is I really like the set up. the TKC gives better front end grip in the dirt and the 700 seemed well enough off road. (I am sure it is not a mud tire) And on road the TKC front sticks well enough for me and the 700 feel's great. I will probably switch to a T63 on the front when the tkc is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Ok, so I'm thinking that the 270 and 244 may be a little squirmy on the street, which makes sense with the smaller lugs. The 700 will be less squirmy due to the larger lugs, but may not grip as good off-road. Either way the mileage should be plenty for the trip.

I'm going to hold off on ordering for my bike until we see what kind of roads we are taking. One guy is talking about coming on his R6, not sure if he's doing it or not. He's looking for a dual sport tire that will fit, but either way that'll limit our road selection.

I'm getting her klr250 tomorrow, if all goes well I'll order tires after picking the bike up. Probably will do the Kenda 270's. I'm guessing they are good in gravel in gravel and dry dirt, but I've never ridden on this style of tire. Should be good enough for her first set anyways, I doubt she's going to do much trail riding at first.

Thanks all for the advice. I've only ran DOT knobbies on any dual sport before, and have never toured on one far enough to worry about not making a trip. I like the 606/MT21 combo and have pretty much just stuck with it.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #4796
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Has anyone tried to service a shock modified by Sasquatch suspensions? He did my KLR shock a few years back and I would like to change the fluid I am just not sure how.

The biggest thing is access to a spring compressor and a nitrogen set up with gauge to put the right amount of pressure in.
My friend here in Michigan will replace the fluid and put nitrogen in it for you for $40.00,but you have to cover shipping both ways.
If you are interested just let me know and I will give you his contact info.
I just checked the guys at the local bike shop will pop the spring off for me. Then I can do the service and get the nitrogen charge from a tire place and have the spring re-installed. Any tips on oil capacity and nitrogen pressure???
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #4797
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 View Post
1987 KLR650 $1000
  • 2000 KLR650 $1800
  • 2003 KLR650 $2500
  • 2005 KLR650 $3200
What sucks for me is all these bike are at a minimum 70 miles away. It seems when I look around craigslist, people are always asking a high price and are firm on it... I dunno, maybe they really don't want to sell it or are hoping some poor schmo will buy it.
The seller's motivation makes a big difference. Some people want every dollar they can get out of an item. Some want to move it and price it to move. I got a 2001 for $1,200 although it was 150 miles away. The seller said that when he sells something he prices it to move so he doesn't have to deal with it long. I believe him.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #4798
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
The seller's motivation makes a big difference. Some people want every dollar they can get out of an item. Some want to move it and price it to move. I got a 2001 for $1,200 although it was 150 miles away. The seller said that when he sells something he prices it to move so he doesn't have to deal with it long. I believe him.
One little trick I thought about tried and worked was...look at the old craigslist ads. its a little bit of a shot in the Dark whether or not the still have it. but I got an 07 for 2500. the ad was 3 months old. The bike had almost unnoticeable very repairable damage that didnt affect the function but might have been why he sat on it so long.
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #4799
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I just checked the guys at the local bike shop will pop the spring off for me. Then I can do the service and get the nitrogen charge from a tire place and have the spring re-installed. Any tips on oil capacity and nitrogen pressure???
This link should have all the info you need.
http://calgarydualsport.tripod.com/k...procedure.html
IBA # 23,716
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #4800
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
One little trick I thought about tried and worked was...look at the old craigslist ads. its a little bit of a shot in the Dark whether or not the still have it. but I got an 07 for 2500. the ad was 3 months old. The bike had almost unnoticeable very repairable damage that didnt affect the function but might have been why he sat on it so long.
I had a trick pulled on me yesterday selling a 250 ninja. Agree on a 'delivered' price, with the buyer being 3 hours away. 2 hours later call the seller, and say you're $140 short but you can throw in a bicycle. ghead:

Anyone want a mountain bike for $140?

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote