Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #1036
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
In other words, the blinking is just another idiot light that if relied upon could get you killed.
That is correct. Kind of like the warnings on a hair drier that says don't use in the shower.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #1037
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
It flashes to get your attention that it is cold enough for ice to be on the road. I do not know how that endangers your life.

There could be an idiot involved in the process.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #1038
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
There could be an idiot involved in the process.
Yes, if you need a light to blink to tell you when it's cold (on a motorcycle, no less) you are an idiot.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #1039
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

There a lot of those around. 3 at least on the hill behind my house in the last week. http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...Accidents.html.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #1040
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,067
Ooooooooooooooooohhhh.

Now I feel stupid. This is what I told my GF when she got her new bike:

Her: "What does the flashing snowflake mean?" (it was snowing)
Me: "It's the new weather forcasting feature option, If you see a flashing raindrop, pull over and put your suit on".
Her: Blink, blink, blink (computing) "Really?"
Me: "Really. Nuthin but the best for you Honey."

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #1041
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

How do feel about ABS and ASC? If you need those gizmos you should not be ridiing a mortorcycle

It is a flashing light. Don't need it, ignore it. I fail to see how it puts any one in danger. Mine comes on at 37 degrees apparently. Stupid light.

About as accurate as my gas gauge.

I am yanking his chain. I look at the farkle list and notice that a lot of rider priorities are things like big windscreens, electrical boxes to hook up things like heated gear. The bike has heated grips. Maybe those riders need some warning it is cold outside. I see no harm in a warning and being BMW I don't rely on it.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 09:58 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #1042
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Thanks Guys

Thanks for your replied
Just want to be sure it is not the bike that need attention

ADV
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1043
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It is a flashing light. Don't need it, ignore it. I fail to see how it puts any one in danger.
It's dangerous because it creates a false sense of security, yes, a bit like ABS. As pointed out above, there can be black ice at temperatures too warm to make the idiot light flash. Therefor, if you're relying on a flashing light to tell you when there could be ice, it's dangerous. ABS has the same effect. People use it as a replacement for learning how to brake properly, and I promise you if you grab a handful of brake in a corner, you're going to hit the ground whether you've got ABS or not.

I've been riding motorcycles for the last 30 years, and this is the first bike I've owned with either ABS or an "ice warning" light. I've never needed either before, and I don't need it now. Learn to ride... I mean really learn to ride, and neither of those safety crutches will ever matter.

Also, there's a fascinating phenomenon called "risk compensation" (look it up) that basically shows that as you improve perceived safety, people take greater risks. ABS and traction control are perfect examples. People don't think they need to be as careful (or learn a necessary skill) because these features will somehow magically save them. So because of that, they ride above their (or the bike's) ability and end up crashing anyway.

I take this seriously because lawmakers think like you do. And eventually when they realize that all the safety features in the world can't keep you from killing yourself, they'll just outlaw motorcycles.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1044
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Ooooooooooooooooohhhh.

Now I feel stupid. This is what I told my GF when she got her new bike:

Her: "What does the flashing snowflake mean?" (it was snowing)
Me: "It's the new weather forcasting feature option, If you see a flashing raindrop, pull over and put your suit on".
Her: Blink, blink, blink (computing) "Really?"
Me: "Really. Nuthin but the best for you Honey."

Some day she's going to go by the dealer and ask why impending-rain-warning-light didn't work and she got wet.... Shortly afterwards there might be a guy named Reaver getting his a$$ kicked
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #1045
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
With out all those red blinking telling you what go on!!! they would have to lower the price....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #1046
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
It's dangerous because it creates a false sense of security, yes, a bit like ABS. As pointed out above, there can be black ice at temperatures too warm to make the idiot light flash. Therefor, if you're relying on a flashing light to tell you when there could be ice, it's dangerous. ABS has the same effect. People use it as a replacement for learning how to brake properly, and I promise you if you grab a handful of brake in a corner, you're going to hit the ground whether you've got ABS or not.

I've been riding motorcycles for the last 30 years, and this is the first bike I've owned with either ABS or an "ice warning" light. I've never needed either before, and I don't need it now. Learn to ride... I mean really learn to ride, and neither of those safety crutches will ever matter.

Also, there's a fascinating phenomenon called "risk compensation" (look it up) that basically shows that as you improve perceived safety, people take greater risks. ABS and traction control are perfect examples. People don't think they need to be as careful (or learn a necessary skill) because these features will somehow magically save them. So because of that, they ride above their (or the bike's) ability and end up crashing anyway.

I take this seriously because lawmakers think like you do. And eventually when they realize that all the safety features in the world can't keep you from killing yourself, they'll just outlaw motorcycles.

The older than you proof. Hate to tell you this but I am 70. My first bike was a 1968 Aeromacchi 250 and I have been riding ever since. I don't have ABS on my bike.

I don't know of any law that requires the bike manufacturers to put ice warning lights on a vehicle. The fact BMW has one, has nothing to do with the government.

I do get a kick out of some posters, who announce how many times ABS has saved their bacon. My thought is they are doing it wrong, as I have been riding 44 years with only 2 going too fast for my skill level crashes.

You want to be serious about bike safety? quit worrying about "ice lights" and go talk to your legislature about Helmets, mandatory training and staged licensing, because that is the only way you can be sure they get it. It probably would have prevented the 2 accidents I had.

But that would involve the Government, which I am sure you are against and your right to do things that might kill you.

Lets get back to other stupid questions

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 04:48 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #1047
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The older than you proof.
I made it very clear that my comments about my riding experience were directed at those who feel they need a warning light to tell them when it may be slippery. So for you to get your panties in a bunch, I must assume that's you.

Quote:
But that would involve the Government, which I am sure you are against and your right to do things that might kill you.
Well yeah. Um, duh. Of course I'm against the Government telling me which activities are and aren't safe. And EVERYONE on this board should be. Unquestionably, if the motorcycle were invented today, it would never have been made legal. Our society is way too safety conscious to allow such an unsafe contraption on the roads. If you disagree with that, I find it very hard to believe you're really 70.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #1048
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

My panties are fine thank you.

I don't know if any one feels they need a flashing temp light. The OP did not even know what it was. I ride the same as I always did. It has one, BFD. Man you are wound tight.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to take out the flashing temp light, seat belts, air bag, traction control, and abs on my wifes car, so she can learn to drive better.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 11:16 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #1049
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Now if you will excuse me, I am going to take out the flashing temp light, seat belts, air bag, traction control, and abs on my wifes car, so she can learn to drive better.
Might actually work. This part especially:

"Peltzman concluded that while the standards had saved the lives of some vehicle occupants, they had also led to the deaths of pedestrians, cyclists and other non-occupants. John Adams of University College London studied the impact of seat belts and reached a similar conclusion, which he published in 1981: there was no overall decrease in highway fatalities."

In other words, those "features" of your wife's car make her more likely to kill a motorcyclist.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...nd-Behave.html

Fascinating stuff.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #1050
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Wait, this one is motorcycle-relevant:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho..._street_savvy/