DL650 2,890 63.85%
DL1000 1,575 34.80%
Both DL650 & DL1000 64 1.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4526. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #2011
TeeBee
n00b

Oddometer: 6
After riding all sorts of motorcycles for 20+ years, I finally decided on my first adventure machine. I bought my '12 DL650 in September 2012. Been adding lots of bits and mods to it in prep for an upcoming trip from TX to AK. So far, I really like the bike and hope it will carry me over great distances reliably and safely.
TeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #2012
ENDODB4
b00n

Oddometer: 346
Just bought my burnt Orange Wee today! had an o8' sold it ,, I don't know why. then bought a 1900 star cruiser.. again dont know why but happy again!
ENDODB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #2013
cptdrew
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Just picked up a 2012 fox orange 650. Looking forward to posting my first RR soon.
cptdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #2014
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Picking up my new 2012 wee White on Black on Thursday. Working out my terms of purchase. Hoping for 15% off accessories as other dealers have offered. Probably get Engine bars/ Bash plate straight away through SW Motech. Also asking to switch to the low seat since I have a challenging inseam of 30 inches. Will probably purchase some other farkles before spring thaw and first ride. My second choice in bike was probably the NC700X. About the same fit/finish and slightly cheaper price. Disliked the rev limit of 6500 rpm and pure street orientation. But felt very flickable. V-strom seems to be the best choice at this price, otherwise I'm up in the $12K range. Pictures will follow after purchase. Traveling 450 mi and bike will ride in the back of my pickup. Hoping for good travel weather. A fellow riding friend volunteered to share the driving duties with me. He shares my enthusiasm for the sport. He has a new heavily farkled KLR 650, which rides very nice, just a little under powered for my taste.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #2015
Aldorean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hello my name is Michael i`m 29 years old and i come from Amsterdam The Netherlands.

I bought my V-strom in Oktober 2012 and posted some pictures on this forum already but it maybe is a good idea to show myself in this topic aswel.

My Strom is my first bike and i love it very much.

Aldorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #2016
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldorean View Post
Hello my name is Michael i`m 29 years old and i come from Amsterdam The Netherlands.

I bought my V-strom in Oktober 2012 and posted some pictures on this forum already but it maybe is a good idea to show myself in this topic aswel.

My Strom is my first bike and i love it very much.

Nicely farkled. I like the bash plate. Is that from Suzuki or aftermarket? I can see the "S" cutout on the side. Great pic as well with the Dutch windmill in the background. We have one not far from where I live. May have to post a pic with it. Regarding your centerstand? Do you find that you scrape the stand when deep into a corner or negotiating rocks/tree stump obstructions? I like the idea of the convenience for oiling chain but not sure what I may give up.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #2017
Aldorean
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgrn View Post
Nicely farkled. I like the bash plate. Is that from Suzuki or aftermarket? I can see the "S" cutout on the side. Great pic as well with the Dutch windmill in the background. We have one not far from where I live. May have to post a pic with it. Regarding your centerstand? Do you find that you scrape the stand when deep into a corner or negotiating rocks/tree stump obstructions? I like the idea of the convenience for oiling chain but not sure what I may give up.

Scraping the center stand isnt a problem in my case because i have my bike fitted with Hyperpro Suspension and i raised the tail with new dogbones so its almost impossible ( for me as a novice ) to scrape the floor. I use it indeed for oiling the chain just put the bike in 1st gear and oil it whilest the wheel is turning.

The bashplate came with the bike and i reccon is a standard Suzuki one but i`m not sure! The edition you see here is a Black Rhino edition ( as is an exclusive to The Netherlands ) and that bashplate just comes with the set.

The windmill yeah did it specially for the people from abroad haha The Netherlands arent windmills all over the place that time is long gone.
And a dutch windmill in Minnesota thats cool we have an american style windmill where i live

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #2018
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 372
What I've got

Traded a 1989 Honda Pacific Coast for this on May 20th of this year. 7k miles so far and loving it.

Dirty.

All dressed up.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #2019
Aldorean
Adventurer

Got to get my hands on a cheap second-hand Trax set of cases ! Man those cases are SEXEH !!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #2020
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
2007 Wee here!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #2021
DualSportAdventure
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My Girl Suzi...

Bought one of the first DL-1000 in Texas after reading all the reviews back in 2001. I've been loving her every since. Added the large Givi luggage and crash bars. Put a taller windscreen on her, but it created a lot of buffeting right at my helmet height, so I went back to the stock screen and problem solved. Traded the saddle for a Corbin and couldn't be happier. Really made a difference in the long range comfort. Will add some extra lights under the fairing next. I had thought by now she would be all farkled up, but usually she's just loaded up with all my camping and touring gear. Ready for anything. Soon I'll be retiring, and hitting the road full-time with her. Can't wait...
DualSportAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #2022
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Went to the Suzuki shop yesterday morning and met 3 fellow Stromtroopers, 2 on Stroms, 1 on a Wee all out for a morning ride. Seemed to love their trusty steeds as I love my 09 Wee. Chatting to one of the sales guys who said they get very few back as Strom riders don't seem to change their bikes very much. He reckoned most owners love them and keep them a long long time. I've thought about changing to a Tiger or a BMW but can't bring myself to do it. There is just something about the Strom. I don't know what it is but I'm hooked. Even looked at upgrading to a DL1000 or a 2012 Wee but I love my 09 so much I can't part with her! Love your Strom and she will love you back, and then some!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #2023
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Went to the Suzuki shop yesterday morning and met 3 fellow Stromtroopers, 2 on Stroms, 1 on a Wee all out for a morning ride. Seemed to love their trusty steeds as I love my 09 Wee. Chatting to one of the sales guys who said they get very few back as Strom riders don't seem to change their bikes very much. He reckoned most owners love them and keep them a long long time. I've thought about changing to a Tiger or a BMW but can't bring myself to do it. There is just something about the Strom. I don't know what it is but I'm hooked. Even looked at upgrading to a DL1000 or a 2012 Wee but I love my 09 so much I can't part with her! Love your Strom and she will love you back, and then some!
Seems like you and I think similar thoughts.

I've contemplated BMW 800's [but have already been down the GS road and learned how expensive and unreliable they really are], KTM's [but I don't need an artificial penis, my real one performs just fine], Triumph 800XC [but it just didn't quite manage to light my fire], and other odd "maybe's that really don't do it for me either.

My '09 Wee just keeps on going and thus keeps hanging around.

My other bike is an old '94 Kawasaki KLE500 that does good touring and really good off the beaten track away from tar.

But the Wee is just one of those "do it all without fuss" bikes.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #2024
bleedgrn
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Ockrocket;20529387]

My other bike is an old '94 Kawasaki KLE500 that does good touring and really good off the beaten track away from tar.

I have read about the KLE 500. Sounds like a fantastic bike. Surprised they have not brought them to the U.S., of course we never get the really cool stuff i.e. Toyota Hilux diesel (36mpg) - would give up a stone to have one. I would think the KLE would really put pressure on the KLR sales that have topped the charts for years.

Love my Glee as well.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #2025
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
[QUOTE=bleedgrn;20551603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post

I have read about the KLE 500. Sounds like a fantastic bike. Surprised they have not brought them to the U.S., of course we never get the really cool stuff i.e. Toyota Hilux diesel (36mpg) - would give up a stone to have one. I would think the KLE would really put pressure on the KLR sales that have topped the charts for years.

Love my Glee as well.
The '09 Wee I have is great, but when I want to get serious about including dirt on a ride or trip the KLE does it easier for me....given that, a proper lightweight dirt bike would be even better, but then I can't carry a load of camping gear and do long tar stages in between with comfort.

It is all about compromise, the Wee if longer interstate highway sections are involved between "mild" off road/single track, the KLE if there is more dirt and less highway [even if the ride is interstate distances].

Kawasaki totally missed the boat with the KLE, it is a far better adventure touring/dualsport bike than the KLR could ever be [hell, one even came in #20 in the Dakar, ridden by a privateer, post #393 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=90043&page=27 ] , the Versys is just a more road oriented equivalent of the Wee-Strom but Kawasaki promotes it as an adventure tourer [should really be listed as a road bike].

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote