Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You need the auto tune, if you are not tuning on a dyno. And even so, I would still verify it all on a dyno, but that's just me.
Does the auto tune constantly tune or does it read and then you accept the trims later on the CPU?

I know on the Bazzaz system (not for F800GS but for my trackbike) it reads the AFR and then I review and accept the trims later.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Does the auto tune constantly tune or does it read and then you accept the trims later on the CPU?

I know on the Bazzaz system (not for F800GS but for my trackbike) it reads the AFR and then I review and accept the trims later.
In a round about way it controls the a/f values you have specified when you hook up your laptop. Lets say you ride, and want to get rid of the snatchy throttle.... you can then set a acceptable a/f ratio of idle, to say what ever rpm you want. The AT will then conform to that, along with other a/f values you have specified. The reason for my thought on the dyno, is that it will verify that all is as it appears ( readout on your flaptop...)

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
halfcabnut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Well right or wrong I ordered the power comander v with auto tune this afternoon ,Ill report back on how it does .
With the changes I have made to the bike I feel I have to do something .
Dan.s
halfcabnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
The AutoTune does exactly what it says. It "Auto"-matically adjusts settings while you ride in relationship to the info it is gathering from the bikes sensors and giving you the "optimum" performance at that moment. Basically it is supposed to omit you having to Dyno-Tune your bike. I talked to the guys at PC about what it does before I purchased. Call them, and they will explain it to you in great detail. The Tune that I put on mine is one that DynoJet made for the F800GS with a LV slip-on w/ DB killer installed, which is what I am running. If you have a different exhaust or a different air filter, then this tune would possibly not be perfect for your bike, therefore you would need to have it Dyno-tuned, or install the AutoTune and let it do it's job.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
halfcabnut
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep i spoke with them ,really informative .They advised me with some of the changes I had made to the bike Auto tune would be helpful to me.I must say Im excited to here your seat of the pants review ,I think the F8 is a great bike but always wished it had a little more bite., Hopefully this will help satisfy that.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

I'm pretty sure... not I am VERY sure you have to ride, review and accept the suggested trims for A/F ratio.

My understanding is that it is the same as the Bazzaz Z-AFM (Air-Fuel Module) in that it reads from the o2 sesor, notes it in the tables. You then review the tables and accept or reject the trims. Clear it out, restart it, ride and repeat.

So it does not automatically tune it. It just allows your riding to take the place of putting it on a dyno.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. In reading a few links like this one it seems to work just like the Z-AFM.

Install
Ride
Review
Accept/reject recommended trims
Clear
Restart the gizmo
Ride
Repeat
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure... not I am VERY sure you have to ride, review and accept the suggested trims for A/F ratio.

My understanding is that it is the same as the Bazzaz Z-AFM (Air-Fuel Module) in that it reads from the o2 sesor, notes it in the tables. You then review the tables and accept or reject the trims. Clear it out, restart it, ride and repeat.

So it does not automatically tune it. It just allows your riding to take the place of putting it on a dyno.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. In reading a few links like this one it seems to work just like the Z-AFM.

Install
Ride
Review
Accept/reject recommended trims
Clear
Restart the gizmo
Ride
Repeat

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc..._autotune.aspx

Straight from the horses mouth......

We have taken virtually the same technology that our patented Tuning Link dynamometer software (for automated Dyno tuning) uses, along with Bosch Wide Band O2 sensors and miniaturized it to be used on your bike, ATV, or UTV, while you ride. Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride.

Of course, the more of a techy you are, I understand that you can make other changes as well, but bottom line is that it works on the fly.

Grits&Gravy screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 04:55 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcabnut View Post
Yep i spoke with them ,really informative .They advised me with some of the changes I had made to the bike Auto tune would be helpful to me.I must say Im excited to here your seat of the pants review ,I think the F8 is a great bike but always wished it had a little more bite., Hopefully this will help satisfy that.
My review? What about your review? I hope it meets your expectations, and it should.

I'm hard to please, but every now and again a blind hog finds an acorn. I just wanted my bike to be smoother and I got what I wanted for a few cat eyes.... It's the reason we go to work.... to buy the things we want.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc..._autotune.aspx

Straight from the horses mouth......

We have taken virtually the same technology that our patented Tuning Link dynamometer software (for automated Dyno tuning) uses, along with Bosch Wide Band O2 sensors and miniaturized it to be used on your bike, ATV, or UTV, while you ride. Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride.
Have you used it? unless they changed something this year it does not adjust on the fly.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Have you used it? unless they changed something this year it does not adjust on the fly.

Obviously you don't read very well or you have selective interpretation and selective memory. Good Day Sir. I will not acknowledge or respond to you any more.

Grits&Gravy screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 06:21 PM Reason: added selective memory for all you FF's
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz;20503073[B
It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride.[/B]

I have have had a PCV with Autotune on my Guzzi for years.

Actually everyone is right, just not putting the whole picture on the wall

The key here is "corrects it". Corrects it to what???

Well simple.. An AFR (Air Fuel Mixture) map programed into the PCV. This AFR Map is generated by either one of two procedures and does not change "on the fly".

1) Put the bike on a dyno, and use an O2 sensor up the tail pipe to measure the AFR of the engine, from which an new target AFR map is generated and uploaded to the PCV
2) Use the wide band O2 sensor attached to the auto tune and ride , accept trims, ride accept trims, ride accept trims etc etc etc until with each ride the iteration in the adjustement of the base map to achieve the target AFR is very small.

What the auto tune then does is NOT vary that base map, it just accounts for varying riding conditions by trying to get the AFR in the engine as close as possible to that map as external conditions change such as air density, air temperature, and some other factors internal in the engione that affect fuel burn etc. It does this by constantly monitoring the AFR in the engine as sensed by the wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust, which is the real magic of the auto tune.

A Dyno generated map can't of course do any of this real world adjustment of the fuelling into the engine as conditions change, it just blindly shoves fuel into the engine according to the programmed map without any consideration for external factors that may be different from the conditions in the workshop when the bike was on the dyno.

THe PCV with AT is without doubt a fantastic bit of kit on the right bike and for some riding styles or requirements..

Mike.C screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 11:50 PM
Mike.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #27
halfcabnut
Gnarly Adventurer

Grneggs
Unfourntnetly My comander is 2 weeks out ,due to back order .Oh well its going to be dang cold in Indiana for the next few weeks anyway .I guess that gives me time to get a couple more things done to the bike .
Power Comander told me the exact samething that you posted ,like you said straight from the horses mouth .
I think some folks just like to argue or be negative ,Oh well !!! Thanks for the info and Ill let ya know how it works out for me .
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Today was the first day I've had to put time on the bike since installing the PC-V. The bike has been butter smooth and the power is more available. This bike is not a powerhouse, but there is a noticeable difference and I can pull the front tire when this has never been achievable in the past. I like the results and am totally satisfied with the addition of the power commander V. My gas mileage also improved by about 7 MPG.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
I would HIGHLY suggest before anyone goes buying a PCV... Give Max at MAXBMW a call about his ecu flashing... he'll tell you horror stories of PCV's on BMW's..

Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
I would HIGHLY suggest before anyone goes buying a PCV... Give Max at MAXBMW a call about his ecu flashing... he'll tell you horror stories of PCV's on BMW's..

What do you mean ecu flashing...... The ZFE on the 800...???? I thought the ZFE could not be re flashed for different fuel mapping.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote