Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #16591
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Battery is likely toast. What specifically did you charge it with?
This is my charger, a Schumacher Electric 2/6 amp, 6/12v manual charger:
http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...ame=94026508AL

And this is the battery, a BikeMaster TruGel that I picked up from the dealer on Friday:
http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster...attery-mg12b-4

With the battery on the charger, I can get a reading of 14.82V while charging at the 6amp setting and 13.54V at the 2 amp setting. About 5 minutes on the charger is enough to bring the battery back up to about 13.2V before it rests at 13.1V, static, and is able to start the bike.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #16592
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
This is my charger, a Schumacher Electric 2/6 amp, 6/12v manual charger:...And this is the battery, a BikeMaster TruGel ...With the battery on the charger, I can get a reading of 14.82V while charging ...
True gel batteries need gel-compatible smart chargers. A conventional "dumb" charger intended for a wet-cell lead acid battery can fry a true gel.

A smart charger with a gel charging circuit generally should not charge over 14.1v.

Charging at 14.82v may not seem like a big deal, however to your true gel that's not so.

Can you try an AGM battery?

Can you load-test the gel battery?
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #16593
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Alright I guess I should have known better but after seeing the prices people are asking for side boxes, the ammo cans are starting to look better and better.

I can get a decent set of Pelican cases (which would be about the size I need) for around $180 each.

Or a set of 20mm ammo cans (similar in size, although heavier) for ....

,,,$18 each?

quite a difference.
SOLUTION FOUND!!
Thanks to ADVRider!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19692637

Just ordered my cases. Bigger inside than ammo cans and weigh less than half as much.

$30/ea. Two cases out the door (with shipping from OH) at $74.

Kind of a shame, I was sort of digging the ammo can look but I really don't want all that weight.

Hoping the Duratool cases will prove 'good enough.' Certainly my cheap JC Whitney top case has proven to be more than adequate.

I should have guessed you bastards would be just as cheap as me!

Now I just need to get the hardware to mount it. Looking at Happy Trail and Caribou...
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #16594
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Charging at 14.82v may not seem like a big deal, however to your true gel that's not so.

Can you try an AGM battery?

Can you load-test the gel battery?
While I didn't know charging at that high of a voltage could damage a battery, I did know that the 6amps of current to get to that voltage could, especially on a small 10amp-hour battery like on the motorcycle, which is why I've been charging at 2 amps. I was merely staring the ability of my charger, knowing that it was outputting sufficient voltage to charge a battery.

The point still remains though, that if a brand new battery (having been pre-charged by a dealer) is good enough to ride around town for 3 hours or so, that it cannot start a motorcycle 14 hours later.

This is the only battery I have. To swap it with an AGM, I'd have to buy a replacement, or take this one back to the dealer and try to exchange it. But I'm out of the country this week, so I can't do anything until the weekend. I had the battery charged and stable at 13.25V before I left, disconnected and sitting on my kitchen counter. We'll see what it drops to by the time I get back. Never know, perhaps when I installed the aux power switch, it closed something a circuit and that's draining the battery, or maybe when I bypassed the clutch safety switch. Either way, we'll see in a few days.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #16595
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
TStorm,
It's not your battery !!!!
I and a lot of others have had this same problem. I can start mine up, ride for 15 or 20 miles, let it sit for an hour and it won't start. Won't start as in won't turn over. Just a click and nothing.
This problem has been discussed on several internet sites, and to my knowledge, no solution has been found. Several years ago some Australians were thinking about a class action against Triumph because this problem was so widespread. Don't know what became of this.
Triumph knows about the problem, even if your dealer doesn't. Several people have achieved a fix (maybe not permanent) by replacing the cdi box. Some claim it's the crank position pick up. ( Inside right engine cover) Replacing the regulator/rectifier is another solution thats been tried.
I have quit riding my Scrambler because I'm never sure if it will get me home. I've been stranded four times. Tell me how a battery has less voltage after being ridden than it did before???
I hope you can get some response out of your dealer because, as much as I love my Scrambler, I can't own a bike I can't trust to ride.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #16596
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44 View Post
TStorm,
It's not your battery !!!!
I and a lot of others have had this same problem. I can start mine up, ride for 15 or 20 miles, let it sit for an hour and it won't start. Won't start as in won't turn over. Just a click and nothing.
This problem has been discussed on several internet sites, and to my knowledge, no solution has been found. Several years ago some Australians were thinking about a class action against Triumph because this problem was so widespread. Don't know what became of this.
Triumph knows about the problem, even if your dealer doesn't. Several people have achieved a fix (maybe not permanent) by replacing the cdi box. Some claim it's the crank position pick up. ( Inside right engine cover) Replacing the regulator/rectifier is another solution thats been tried.
I've been reading a fair bit of stuff on TriumphRat about this, or a very similar problem, and some people have gotten it fixed by getting an "urban tune." From what I read, this is an undocumented Triumph tune that I think was meant to be their fix to this, either adjusting the ECU to allow it to start the bike at less than 12.6V, or it shutting off the ECU almost immediately after turning off the bike, instead of letting it continue to run for another several minutes. I'm already considering replacing the rectifier with a MOSFET type, which should be strong enough to charge the battery even at idle. That'd be awesome for me, since there are so many red lights where I live. I'm definitely going to be trying a few things once I get home this weekend.

Quote:
I have quit riding my Scrambler because I'm never sure if it will get me home. I've been stranded four times. Tell me how a battery has less voltage after being ridden than it did before???
I know what you mean. There's a definite problem, even if it only effects a small percentage of bikes. I like the Scrambler, but I shouldn't have to plug it in each night like some electric car. And soon, I won't even be able to, since I'm moving to a parking garage that won't have an outlet for me to plug a tender into. I'm certainly not removing the seat, disconnecting the battery, and bringing it inside after every ride.

Quote:
I hope you can get some response out of your dealer because, as much as I love my Scrambler, I can't own a bike I can't trust to ride.
Well, I kinda feel like I'm going to be on my own on this, since the dealer I used to go to no longer deals in Triumphs and my new one I think only started working with them recently.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #16597
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
minimum battery voltage starting

I installed one of those switches that prevents the headlight from coming on when you first turn on the key before hitting the starter button. This eliminates voltage draw by the headlight and makes more power available for the starter which hopefully will be enough juice for it to engage. I had the same starting problems with a seemingly good battery and this has helped. After starting the bike though you have to remember to flick the red "pass" switch to turn on the headlight.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #16598
wildjester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
I installed one of those switches that prevents the headlight from coming on when you first turn on the key before hitting the starter button. This eliminates voltage draw by the headlight and makes more power available for the starter which hopefully will be enough juice for it to engage. I had the same starting problems with a seemingly good battery and this has helped. After starting the bike though you have to remember to flick the red "pass" switch to turn on the headlight.
More info on this "switch" you speak of?
Please
Thanks
wildjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #16599
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
I saw something like that on newbonneville.com. A "Headlight Control Module" is what they call theirs. For $30 it's not a bad price for an extra bit of juice.

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/he...ol_module.html
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #16600
wildjester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
I saw something like that on newbonneville.com. A "Headlight Control Module" is what they call theirs. For $30 it's not a bad price for an extra bit of juice.

Thanks!
wildjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #16601
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
The Scrammy Legacy Continues!

Hi All,

Well, you guys hooked another one! After a year of reading this thread and dreaming about a Scrambler to put in my garage next to my 06 Sprint ST I started looking. I originally wanted a matte khaki green but after months of searching dealerships, craigslist, ebay etc...there was nothing, not one decent scrambler for sale in a 400 mile radius of my area (Central NJ), I wonder why?. So, I took a shot in the dark and went to my local mom and pop triumph dealer a half hour away from my house thinking if all the big dealers didn't have any Scramblers on the floor, they probably wouldn't either but low and behold they had just got a 2013 matte graphite in. The dealer had 2 phone inquiries on it while I was standing there so with the bleak outlook on used models, I said F it, you only live once so I sealed the deal and just rode her home! I had to take a hot shower to remove the frozen permagrin on my face, literally, it is 30 degrees and raining outside, the pipes kept my right leg warm and I have frostbite on my fingers but well worth it. Anyway, enough with the blabbing and on to the pics! Looking forward to the ensuing madness!!

And the stable mate:

2T2_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #16602
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 112
Thumb Re: The Scrammy Legacy Continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2T2_Ryder View Post
Hi All,

Well, you guys hooked another one! After a year of reading this thread and dreaming about a Scrambler...
...low and behold they had just got a 2013 matte graphite in.
... just rode her home!
Excellent! Congrats! Enjoy! Still loving every minute on mine - four and a half years after riding her home from the dealer's showroom!

That new Graphite colourway sure looks good.

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #16603
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:

Thats the one. Easy to install. It fits in the headlamp bucket.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #16604
Jim_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Congrats on the gray scram. I love that color. I have the kaki green scram. I saw a t-bird storm in that gray and had to buy it. At least I think it's the same gray.
Jim_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #16605
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
congrats on the new scram T2T....you exhibited excellent decision making skills
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote