Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #181
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
What i figured. What about wear on the batt body?
Be sure to trim more metal than plastic.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #182
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
Be sure to trim more metal than plastic.
Mmhm.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #183
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
I did this mod on a previous XR600 that I dropped a 650L motor into. That battery was tight so I used a hand grinder to grind out some plastic and a little metal where the bolts are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Would you expect I could get another .25" between the two airbox bolts? I'm going to go with the antigravity battery, but it's .25" "taller."
Yes, you can get an additional 1/4-inch between the airbox bolts. Even if you don't need to trim the metal tabs, I would recommend you do so to flatten the sharp edges, which can cut into the battery container.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #184
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_n View Post
Spud, you went with the LFX09A2, which has 135 cold cranking amps, and it has done good for you in ID. The Shorai site recommends the LFX14A4, which has 210 cca. Have you had any trouble on cold weather starts? do you see any reason to pony up the extra $50 for the LFX14?
Dv
I bought the 09 like Spud and installed it in May of this year, the bike has not seen much use (unfortunatly ) The other day when I went to start up the bike I got few cranks and the battery went t*ts up. Spoke to the guys at Shorai and they told me that there have been a few calls/claims like this relating to the 09 battery. They recommended that I get the 14 amp battery... had to pay an extra $45 but they sent it overnight (cost them probably $60..). Tonight when I got home there it was waiting for me.. I can't beleive the speedy service. The battery will be going in tomorrow night to I can finally get out there for long deserved ride!!

Spud take care of that battery you got there!! it looks like you got a good one .

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #185
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for reporting the good customer service from Shorai, CC. I'm pleased to report my LFX09A2-BS12 battery is still working great for me.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #186
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
I bought the 09 like Spud and installed it in May of this year, the bike has not seen much use (unfortunatly ) The other day when I went to start up the bike I got few cranks and the battery went t*ts up. Spoke to the guys at Shorai and they told me that there have been a few calls/claims like this relating to the 09 battery. They recommended that I get the 14 amp battery... had to pay an extra $45 but they sent it overnight (cost them probably $60..). Tonight when I got home there it was waiting for me.. I can't beleive the speedy service. The battery will be going in tomorrow night to I can finally get out there for long deserved ride!!

Spud take care of that battery you got there!! it looks like you got a good one .

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
I ended up ditching my 09 battery for the 18 amp battery they now offer. I like it much better. The 09 just seemed borderline for my XR's starting needs.
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #187
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
I ended up ditching my 09 battery for the 18 amp battery they now offer. I like it much better. The 09 just seemed borderline for my XR's starting needs.

I contacted Shorai about using the 9 and they suggested the 14 or 18.
On Shorai's website the 18 is a different case (1) than the 9. Did you have any issues with the size?
Thanks to everyone who help with info for this mod.
Lost on Row 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #188
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for reporting the good customer service from Shorai, CC. I'm pleased to report my LFX09A2-BS12 battery is still working great for me.

Spud
good to see a long term report on Shorai LFX09. glad it's working out for you.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #189
guinnessextreme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I have the LFX09 installed under the seat. It starts every time. When I ride often, it starts. When the bike sits for months, it starts. No problem whatsoever.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #190
EXRM193
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I've had mine fitted for a while now with no problems......
Except running a heated jacket and heated gloves together.......
It eats the Shorai battery in a couple of hours. I'm not sure of the XR Stator output, But I know the draw from the gloves and jacket is 8.6 Watts. Maybe I need to upgrade the stator??
EXRM193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #191
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
8,6w is way to low.

Should be more like 86w, perhaps even higher.

And yes, if you discharge the battery you need a bigger stator, or you need to save current elsewhere. Perhaps use an led-dimmer to turn down the jacket a bit.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #192
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
I contacted Shorai about using the 9 and they suggested the 14 or 18.
On Shorai's website the 18 is a different case (1) than the 9. Did you have any issues with the size?
Thanks to everyone who help with info for this mod.
Only the Shorai batteries with the case #2, form factor will fit on top of the air box under the saddle.

http://www.shoraipower.com/specs.html

I recommend the batteries with the A2 terminal configuration. Here are your choices.

LFX09A2-BS12
LFX14A2-BS12

My Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 has performed flawlessly for 30,000 miles. However, if I were to buy a lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) battery today, I would probably buy the Antigravity 8-Cell battery.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=994

This battery will also fit on top of the air box, under the saddle.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 05:34 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #193
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post
I have the LFX09 installed under the seat. It starts every time. When I ride often, it starts. When the bike sits for months, it starts. No problem whatsoever.
My experience is the same as yours; I haven't had a single problem with my LFX09A2-BS12 battery in 30,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXRM193 View Post
I've had mine fitted for a while now with no problems......
Except running a heated jacket and heated gloves together.......
It eats the Shorai battery in a couple of hours. I'm not sure of the XR Stator output, But I know the draw from the gloves and jacket is 8.6 Watts. Maybe I need to upgrade the stator??
All of the lithium-iron-phosphate batteries will have problems supporting heavy loads from heated gear. A conventional, lead-acid battery will perform much better under these loading conditions.

Spud
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #194
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Instead of sticking the battery on top, i built a new battery box, I cut the stock tabs of the factory box, bent some half in solid steel pipe in a bender. Used some scrap steel form some Kawasaki crates and welded it up. I ordered and XR650R side panel and et voila. Much nicer. Still clearance for most 130 rear tires.

http://s219.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=12

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #195
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
On Shorai's website the only 18 battery I can find in a case #2 is a 6 volt? With the service the 2 of you have had (30k) it may be overkill anyway. I am sure the 14 will work just fine since the 9 has.
I like the looks of that Anti Gravity. Anyone have any experience with them? This thread has been very helpful and I just need to say, "Well Played" !
Lost on Row 1 is offline   Reply With Quote