Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #136
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
happy 2013 btw
you too... Happy NOT the end of the world!
LandsVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #137
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wheel bearings and inner tube have arrived

Well, have my parts. Now, a little time and should have the rear tire and wheel back together. Meanwhile, have gotten further on the bracket fabrication for gauges and key.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #138
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

update and question about XR500 and battery

Well, installed bearings in the rear wheel today! also, sold some XL600 parts to a 'new' friend and hopefully riding buddy, and recouped some of the loss.

So, I have a line on another basket case near me: 1984 XR500 (what I was told). Where does that bike fit in to the lineup of my 86 XR600, and the parts left from my XL600? Which one is it most similar to? What big ticket items would interchange and/or is it worth getting?

...I have the seat being redone by a local guy, sorry Z_S. He's only 1 mile from my new house so I decided to support local business - not to mention, if it's junk he can do it over and I'm not paying for shipping!

I'll have pictures as soon as practical.

Almost have the bracketry figured out for the speedometer and key switch. a lot of trial and error, but I think It will work.

If I'm going to use (which I am) a dry cell battery setup, Am I looking for a combination of 12 volts? how many cells is that? Anyone have a recommendation? Like a radio controlled toy battery pack or something?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #139
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Rechargables run 1.2V per cell, so you will need 10,
Akalines run 1.5V percell so you only need 8
Lipo's run in config of 3.7V per cell, so 3S (3 in series) is 11.1V, 4S would be 14.8V and you would need a regulator of some sort.
New type LiFe's run 3.3V so a 4S pack would be 13.2, probably spot on for what you want.
Disclaimer, I have no experience with batteries on a XR600, just an RC junkie.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #140
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
Rechargables run 1.2V per cell, so you will need 10,
Akalines run 1.5V percell so you only need 8
Lipo's run in config of 3.7V per cell, so 3S (3 in series) is 11.1V, 4S would be 14.8V and you would need a regulator of some sort.
New type LiFe's run 3.3V so a 4S pack would be 13.2, probably spot on for what you want.
Disclaimer, I have no experience with batteries on a XR600, just an RC junkie.
Nice! and thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #141
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsVW View Post
So, I have a line on another basket case near me: 1984 XR500 (what I was told). Where does that bike fit in to the lineup of my 86 XR600, and the parts left from my XL600? Which one is it most similar to? What big ticket items would interchange and/or is it worth getting?
I ride the 83 and 84 XR5s.

They are most similar to the dual carb XR6. However, there is a bit less parts interchange than I thought when I bought my first XR5.

Things that are different off the top of my head:

steel swingarm
steel kick lever
different rear frame sections
larger muffler
different left case half, left side of crank, stator cover, connecting rod is unique to the XR5
smaller bore (obviously) and a head with smaller combustion chamber. (valves/cam are the same).
other small changes for oiling (see XR600 top end questions thread)
larger carb insulator plate port holes
fuel tank (over 3 gallons) and seat are different

The wheels should swap easily

Not sure you want the XR5 to use as spares on the XR6. How good of a deal are gonna get for the basket?

I've always thought that the XR5 engine in a 85-87 XR6 frame would make the lightest big bore RFVC
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #142
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

tire info and questions and current state of affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
The wheels should swap easily

Not sure you want the XR5 to use as spares on the XR6. How good of a deal are gonna get for the basket?

I've always thought that the XR5 engine in a 85-87 XR6 frame would make the lightest big bore RFVC
I haven't heard exactly what he wants yet, just a few emails stating (first) it was a 600, then the second one said a XR500 basket case. Since I bought my first one labelled as a 1989 XR650 (and turned out to be a 86 XR600) I am sceptical until I see it myself, LOL... It's only about 10 miles away tho, so if I hear back, I most likely will at least drive up.

On another note - got my Kenda Tube, installed it w/ the almost new Kenda tire off the XL600, and sure enough, I put a hole in the tube (stupid me using screwdrivers). Soooo, let this be a lesson to you all! buy the dang tire irons! they are 5$ a piece! At least I didn't cuss and throw tools. This time. I ordered Motion Pro tire irons tonight off ebay. I'll go get a patch kit from NAPA when the irons come in. I figure it was either that or pay a bike shop 25$, and they want to replace the tube again. plus, I think the front may have a leak as well, so will be looking in to that AS SOON as I have my tire irons My seat is ready and will be picked up on Wednesday! :)

This thing has duct tape for a rim strip? anyone have a comment on that ghetto setup? Is that ok, or should I get an ebay rim strip too? The other one had a normal but brittle rim strip so couldn't use it.

*** never mind, i just ordered a rim strip off ebay ***

LandsVW screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 10:05 PM Reason: question was answered by myself
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #143
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
There is a great thread somewhere in the garage section where a guy installes a tire without using irons. Its kind of hard to explain without pics so go check it out. Ive installed my last three tires that way but I substitute zip ties for the nylon straps. I like it so much I now have enough zip ties in my emergency tool kit to install a tire this way. If you start the tire at the stem it is actually easier to get the stem through the rim than when you use irons.

found the thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=tire+changing
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #144
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
thats for tubeless sealed rims like shown...put a tube in there and things might get funny...but I guess you can try

anyways...if 8 straps can be had for 8 bucks thats cool...2 or 3 tire irons for me
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #145
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

regarding tire mounting thread

Wow! that is a good thread! has some pretty good ideas of how to use different methods in a 'pinch'. I have the tire spoons on the way, but may try to create a hybrid method with some parachute cord I have lying around. I have always wanted tire spoons, and this gave me a great chance to buy tools too. plus, they will come with me on a trip for sure. Anyone recommend a patch kit? I noticed that NAPA had several different styles and kinds of patches and kits. Some said rubber patch, some said radial (for tubeless) but are all tubes rubber? My tube is a Kenda.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #146
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

the good patches are the round ones with a read glue kind of seal on the outside...

I have patched many a tube...all tubes are rubber! jajajaja

the important thing is to sand the affected area well and let the glue tack dry first...the press firm for 5 minutes or so under a rock..there is always a rock for this...and inflate the tube to 5psi and install in the tire

THEN install on the wheel

that way NO PINCH FLATS

3 spoons are better than 2, but if you have a crescent wrench or long screwdrivers you can compromise

christian
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #147
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
thats for tubeless sealed rims like shown...put a tube in there and things might get funny...but I guess you can try

anyways...if 8 straps can be had for 8 bucks thats cool...2 or 3 tire irons for me

Ive never owned a bike with tubeless tires and Ive used this methd for the last two tire changes. You have to slightly inflate the tube and then put it in the tire before cinching it down with the straps making sure one of the straps is next to the valve stem on the tube and you should still use talc between the tube and the tire. Start the tube on the rim by inserting the valve stem in the hole in the rim and start a nut on it. then work the tire onto the rim just like in the pics. I don't use rim locks so I don't know how those are installed but I suspect it might still be possible
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #148
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

well thats cool...all I was saying is that the original thread shows a comstar like rim that uses no tube...they are easier to install

also most tires sold these days are tubeless, doesnt mean people dont use tubes in them, typical tires like these are most offroad dot tires....

id like to see somebody use this method out on the trails

just sayin
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #149
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
well thats cool...all I was saying is that the original thread shows a comstar like rim that uses no tube...they are easier to install

also most tires sold these days are tubeless, doesnt mean people dont use tubes in them, typical tires like these are most offroad dot tires....

id like to see somebody use this method out on the trails

just sayin
Tubeless tires are a lot tighter than tubed tires and harder to mount. Comstar was a 2 piece Honda mag 30 years ago.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #150
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
the good patches are the round ones with a read glue kind of seal on the outside...

I have patched many a tube...all tubes are rubber! jajajaja

the important thing is to sand the affected area well and let the glue tack dry first...the press firm for 5 minutes or so under a rock..there is always a rock for this...and inflate the tube to 5psi and install in the tire

THEN install on the wheel

that way NO PINCH FLATS

3 spoons are better than 2, but if you have a crescent wrench or long screwdrivers you can compromise

christian
Thanks, I've patched a few, but it's been a few years, so I'm kinda fuzzy on the details... Also, when I worked in an auto shop we had 'rim ease' which was amazing stuff. Maybe I'll go beg for a small container of it at the local shop since it only comes in big tubs, LOL. Moving slowly forward - learning and relearning... old dawgs learn new tricks, then promptly forget them...