User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
CO-or-bust OP
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 168
Question Why do I never hear about the Garmin Colorado???

An Inmate here has a Garmin Colorado for sale. Mint condition, I believe a fair $250 price (Model 300 but has added Maps of USA "100" + a few more specific "24" Maps of the West, in essence making it a Model 400).

It has a "jog" dial vs. buttons and/or a touch screen. I believe it runs only on batteries vs. a usb power port.

Any other potential negatives that I should know about??? I think I can live with the two noted above. In fact, do NOT want a touch screen at all. Almost positive I would buy a 60 or a 62 series before a Montana, Oregon, etc. Just not a HUGE fan of the touch screen on my Android "Smartphone" --- especially when it's wet, cold, and nasty out --- and that's when I want an need my GPS to work WITH me, NOT against me...

Open to ANY-AND-ALL thoughts and/or questions.

Thanks!
"COorbust"
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by COorbust View Post
An Inmate here has a Garmin Colorado for sale. Mint condition, I believe a fair $250 price (Model 300 but has added Maps of USA "100" + a few more specific "24" Maps of the West, in essence making it a Model 400).

It has a "jog" dial vs. buttons and/or a touch screen. I believe it runs only on batteries vs. a usb power port.

Any other potential negatives that I should know about??? I think I can live with the two noted above. In fact, do NOT want a touch screen at all. Almost positive I would buy a 60 or a 62 series before a Montana, Oregon, etc. Just not a HUGE fan of the touch screen on my Android "Smartphone" --- especially when it's wet, cold, and nasty out --- and that's when I want an need my GPS to work WITH me, NOT against me...

Open to ANY-AND-ALL thoughts and/or questions.

Thanks!
"COorbust"
It's fairly capable but was discontinued a few years ago. The scroll wheel is very tedious to use, has been known to fall off and get lost. $250 is way too much for it. $100 is more reasonable.

Not sure why you're reluctant to consider a touch screen model. The Montana is awesome, wet or dry, hot or cold, night or day. There's nothing better out there right now. I had the 60, still have a 62S, but it's my Montana which is the one I always use.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Oddometer: 62
Good afternoon COorbust,

Agree with Emmbeedee in this case. The reason you don't hear about it is this device has been tried and there were simply other options that served the community better.

The Colorado 300 is discontinued and software updates are not implmented on this model line anymore. The unit also does not have the same AMPS mount that the Montana does. You will want constant power and the only hard power lines offered for this device will need to be direct wired.

The Montana is an excellent device and has been thoroughly vetted for off road use. The screen brightness, accessories and overall capabilities of the unit are reasons to consider it.

The Garmin Zumo 660LM would be your other choice to consider.

If you only make technology changes from time to time, it would be best to jump from best in class to the new best in class.

Good luck,

River Pilot
Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
Web: www.riverspilot.com
River Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
CO-or-bust OP
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 168
Thanks for input

Emmbeedee & River Pilot,

Thanks to both of you for the input. The jog-dial falling off does not sound too good ... Think it'd make me and then excessively.

As for the Montana, yeah I am sure that the touchscreen on a $600 unit would be/better be more capable than my Android "smartphone", but picking up a used Colorado or 60 or 62 series with Maps already loaded, in the $200's is more within my current budget vs. a $600 unit + another $99 for Central Mountains (CO/UT). Seriously, I get it. You get what you pay for, but I am looking to get and pay for a reasonable unit that will do the trick and get me around. A new tricked out Rubicon for $30,000 to $40,000 is a MUCH more capable Jeep and I'd LOVE to have one, but if I get a Jeep it'll likely be a 5 to 8 year old Wrangler in the $10,000 range. AS nice? No. Will it get me around and do the job? Yup...

Trust me I am NOT trying to be a wise-ass here. I asked for folks with more experience than me to help me with their knowledge and input. I'm just bringing my own sense of reality to the fact that $600/$700/$800 with Maps is just beyond my means right now.

Thanks again guys and I think that I'll stay away from the jog-dial. Probably keep a focus on a used 60 series for now.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks again guys and I think that I'll stay away from the jog-dial. Probably keep a focus on a used 60 series for now.
No problem. I'd take a 76/60Cx or CSx over the Colorado any day.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Just an idea. If you don't want a touch screen, but want to get one that is still supported and has the option for a tough external power hook. Check out the Garmin GPSMAP 78 series.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Just an idea. If you don't want a touch screen, but want to get one that is still supported and has the option for a tough external power hook. Check out the Garmin GPSMAP 78 series.
Apparently the 78 is on special for $200, as described in the GPS Dealfest.

That's a real deal on a great 'modern' gps.