Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #1411
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,668
From what I can see, these are off to a stellar start! I'm betting they will rival the best on the market, or better! Beautiful work!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #1412
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,228
I am sending a PM. I got to typing and realized it was better suited for message material than public. I have mostly nothing but support and compliments to add to the thread publicly, however. I must say that you and I have a very similar set of skills and interests, especially as it applies to paint, metal, and... well, not electrician stuff. I'm not sure where you get that. But we have a lot in common, I'll say that. Oh, we both like beer. What kind do you drink, I'll be sure to bring you some when that warm time of year occurs.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #1413
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I've been wanting a box/pan brake for a while This just enforces that - DAMNIT!!!

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #1414
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

Yeppers. Me likey! With any luck, I'll be firing up the TIG tomorrow. I also plan on meeting with a local powdercoater in the morning. I'm going to do my best to knock these puppies out of the park.

Until next time...
I had a set of Happy Trails knockoffs powdercoated for my KLR. (insert your own joke here about the cost of powdercoating being more than the value of the bike ) It was GREAT to be able to put stuff inside them without getting that nasty black aluminum crap all over everything

Have you been noting your measurements so you can make some templates and shear all the pieces first and not have to cut them out after the fact?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #1415
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
From my buddy Ken, who is the smart electrician. I are the dum one.

"...following a 2% voltage drop calculation, 240V, 50A circuit; max. distance on #6 is 98'. #4 is good for 156'."

BTW - I did use #6, but brain-farted when I said #8. I told u I is the dum one. Thanks, Ken!

Thanks......
But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #1416
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Get one of these,aluminium deburrer.

Just a cheapie from any HF style place.I'm an aluminium fabricator and I use mine pretty regular at work, nice clean edge every time,just a nice even swipe and your done.Although I did take mine off the apprentice at work a few weeks ago, some people just dont get that technique is more effective than force.
Using a file drives me nuts now.
Nice work again.
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #1417
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
patterning the pieces

i was thinking the same thing...might be worth a few extra minutes to lay some cardboard on the separate pieces to cut templates prior to welding them together. that way you can use the shear to cut all the pieces and save some time if you decide to go into production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I had a set of Happy Trails knockoffs powdercoated for my KLR. (insert your own joke here about the cost of powdercoating being more than the value of the bike ) It was GREAT to be able to put stuff inside them without getting that nasty black aluminum crap all over everything

Have you been noting your measurements so you can make some templates and shear all the pieces first and not have to cut them out after the fact?
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #1418
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
From what I can see, these are off to a stellar start! I'm betting they will rival the best on the market, or better! Beautiful work!

Jim
Thanks, Jim!

I'm doing the best that this "3rd year welding rookie" knows how to do!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #1419
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
I am sending a PM. I got to typing and realized it was better suited for message material than public. I have mostly nothing but support and compliments to add to the thread publicly, however. I must say that you and I have a very similar set of skills and interests, especially as it applies to paint, metal, and... well, not electrician stuff. I'm not sure where you get that. But we have a lot in common, I'll say that. Oh, we both like beer. What kind do you drink, I'll be sure to bring you some when that warm time of year occurs.
Thanks, Joel!

I look forward to meeting you in the spring!

I like prefix beer. You know - the kind that has the word free in front of it.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #1420
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Get one of these,aluminium deburrer.

Just a cheapie from any HF style place.I'm an aluminium fabricator and I use mine pretty regular at work, nice clean edge every time,just a nice even swipe and your done.Although I did take mine off the apprentice at work a few weeks ago, some people just dont get that technique is more effective than force.
Using a file drives me nuts now.
Nice work again.
Thanks for the tip! I'll get one.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #1421
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
i was thinking the same thing...might be worth a few extra minutes to lay some cardboard on the separate pieces to cut templates prior to welding them together. that way you can use the shear to cut all the pieces and save some time if you decide to go into production.
Good idea. I'm keeping detailed notes on everything. I may be able to shear off the corners ahead of time, but the insets will still need to be manually cut. I'm guessing the big boy's have their patterns laser cut or stamped out...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #1422
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

I met with a local powdercoater yesterday. Very nice guy. He loved my front bumper and wants one for his shop truck!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #1423
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

All seams TIG welded.

Now I get fancy with the lids. 3rd time's a charm. Try one and two in the background. 1/8" wrong makes a huge difference here. I had to make a 1:1 scale drawing to measure the length of the angles to get them just right. My original 1/4" : 1" drawing had the width of a penstroke messing me all up.

Ends bent and sheared. The whole purpose of a finger brake is to do all this in one single piece. Not gonna' happen here. Maybe on a simple lid with no bevels. I had a heck of a time just doing this.

Bevel cuts and miter cuts on corners laid out. I'm letting the kiddos get their beauty sleep before I fire up the grinders at 4am.

DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #1424
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,668
Looking great Kirk! I really like the lids too!

I can hardly wait to see them done!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #1425
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,454
Beautiful work so far. As usual, us on-lookers have questions...

Why the "canyon cut" on the aft edge of the boxes? I understand that the sides are cut for lean angle and the front edges are cut for ankle protection. Is the back just replicated for symmetry or aesthetics?
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote