Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #136
deersSlayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1 I was gonna read this thread but I can already tell it's ruined by a bunch of comments from wankers who can't understand not everyone wants/needs/cares about the same shit.
Just ignore the the wanking posts and read the good stuff.

For the new WR250 owners: check out the wr250R forum, lots of great info there.

To sum up popular mods:
- get a fuel programmer (bike is far too lean stock.)
- if you get a new pipe open up the airbox too.
- stock seat sucks on long rides, Sargent makes a great replacement seat.
- rear shock rebound damping is almost zero, set it to max. Better still, get it revalved.

After over 10,000 miles I still really like my 2009 WR250X (supermoto.)
I like it even more after getting a set of 'R' offroad wheels, now it's a tri-sport bike?

It is a tall bike for me; I'm 5' 7" with not quite 30" inseam. I just look very carefully at where I stop, and get by just putting 1 leg down. If I had shorter legs I would get the bike lowered..

Final note: Interstate/freeway riding: just avoid it!! The back roads are so much more fun!
deersSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #137
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
Honda screwed up getting rid of the XR400 platform. They should have updated the suspension and made it a dual spot.
+1 the xr 200', 250 and 400 were much better bikes than any of the DS bikes Honda is building now. The old XR 200 would run circles around the new Crf250!

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #138
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
+1 the xr 200', 250 and 400 were much better bikes than any of the DS bikes Honda is building now. The old XR 200 would run circles around the new Crf250!
BS. This thread is a comparison of the current Honda 250 dual sport and the current Yamaha 250 dual sport. The bikes you're advocating aren't dual sports, and they are no longer in production.

The XR200 would suck on the street, while the CRF250L is by all accounts pretty decent there, for what it is. On the road, I bet the CRF250L would run circles around an XR200, 250, or 400.

Are the old XRs good bikes? Fun bikes? Reliable? Hell yes. Relevant to this thread? Hell no.

I'd really like a clean XR400. But you really aren't contributing to this thread by saying that, in your opinion, the old stuff is better than the current stuff, because they are very different by design.

jon_l screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 05:57 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #139
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
The OPs observations sound right on to me, and would be of value for someone considering these two bikes. The prospective owner needs to ask what they want. The bikes are different, and one will please more than the other. My choice would be the WRR, hands down, but I love to ride fast and hard off road. My choice is not right or wrong, it is what I would choose. A good argument can be made for the Honda for it's cost savings, especially if the owner is more casual about off road and more street focused.

The now ancient DRZ400 deserves consideration too, as it is in the same price range. Had one of those, surprising how I much got out of that bike with some simple suspension and engine mods. The big yellow pig got ridden fast and hard in the SoCal dez and gnarly CO rocks for 8 years, never let me down. It might have been heavy as an anvil, but it was durable as one too. I have a cool Husaberg FE450 now, but still have fond memories of the good times I had on the DRZ. That bike was like an old friend and I hated to see it go. That is saying something :)
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #140
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
BS. This thread is a comparison of the current Honda 250 dual sport and the current Yamaha 250 dual sport. The bikes you're advocating aren't dual sports, and they are no longer in production.

The XR200 would suck on the street, while the CRF250L is by all accounts pretty decent there, for what it is. On the road, I bet the CRF250L would run circles around an XR200, 250, or 400.

Are the old XRs good bikes? Fun bikes? Reliable? Hell yes. Relevant to this thread? Hell no.

I'd really like a clean XR400. But you really aren't contributing to this thread by saying that, in your opinion, the old stuff is better than the current stuff, because they are very different by design.
You are totally wrong. Honda had a great platform with theXR line and in Mexico, Honduras and South Africa where I have lived for the past 15 years they are street legal and make great street bikes. The XR 200 was used for daily transport in Mexico and Honduras plus lots of offroad stuff. The bike performed flawlessly for many years and was a blast on the street.

The Honda CRF is overweight,under sprung and underpowered the only thing it would run a circle around is another crf.

The Yamaha I would consider I would get the X model and buy a spare set of wheels for offroad. For me a DS should be a 50/50 bike. The Yamaha comes close to this The Honda does not.

For the money you might as well buy a DR. 400 and be done with it.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #141
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I have all three! WR, CRF, and 83 XL

I can speak from experience of the newer WR and CRF250L compared to an older Honda 83 XL250r dual sport. As for the WR and the CRF I have both. My son likes the WR for its suspension and power (has power programmer and FMF exhause) and aggressive knobbies. I like the CRF for its smooth ride, stock linear power output, and stock dual sport very streetable tires. The CRF takes little effort to ride trails. When you are 50+ like me and wanting to keep out riding with the young bucks that becomes important!

I also have an "old" dual sport, the 1983 XL250r. I can't speak for the "newer" XR's but the CRF250L is worlds ahead better than the 83 XL in many ways. Electric start and electronic fuel injection go a LONG way making it a much more comfortable bike. I don't believe the old XR's had either. The stock CRF does not give up anything in the power output and suspension to the old XL either. Although the plastics and the blinkers might give up a little durability to the old XL, I have not broken mine yet after a few enduro rides and 500 miles (300 off road). At the relatively low "new retail" price the CRF is an excellent value for a new bike with wide ratio transmission, fuel injection and electric start that also can handle the trails. The forward "running lights" and extremely bright headlight are nice bonuses on the CRF.

Sure the modified WR feels more twitchy power wise than either the CRF or the XL (both stock) and has a much more capable suspension than either. Still, even with my limited experience off road (3000 miles over 45 years, no races), I have no problem keeping up with my son on the WR and many bigger bikes (450's etc) on off road trails even when I am on either of the Honda 250's.

For those who want a capable comfortable affordable 250 dual sport both on and off road than the stock CRF fills that niche quite nicely. For those who race enduro or want gobs more suspension and hard off road prowess while remaining street legal but at the expensive of a comfortable street ride move on to the WR with aggressive knobbies, power programmer and exhaust (about $8000 new or $4,000 for a 2008 WR with about 3000 miles). For those who want gobs more power/twitchiness and are willing to work even harder on tight technical trails move on to a 400+cc bike.

Beware of reading all the charts and condemning one or the other bike. The OP did not feel the CRF stood up well for how they use it. The CRF does, however, work quite well for my relaxed riding style.

jimhaleyscomet screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 06:08 AM
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #142
Cyberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I just want to say thanks to the OP.
Nice write up.

I have always been a bigger and faster bike owner. But now that Im getting older I wanted a smaller fun bike so I just picked up a Husaberg 350. Man I should of had a small bike in the stable years ago. I just had no idea what fun I was missing with a small bike.

Now I have been giving the Yamaha WRR a look.
Cyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #143
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 996
These real world review from the OP seems very credible to me because they come from someone who has ridden and lived with both bikes on a day to day basis. Its really easy to ride the specs, but experience reigns supreme.

My WRR was stolen last year and I'm lookin' real hard at the CRF250L but for some reason am not completely sold on it due to its milder manners.

I always thought the WRR had 2 sides to it, both civil and disobedient in that that you could just chug it and ride it like an senior citizen or rev it out and ride it like a motocrosser. I fear that with the CRF, I won't be get "motocrosser" side of it when I need it. WRR did it smoothly and reliably.

Anyway, I need to to take a look at the CRF at the motorcycle show in NY next weekend and sit on and think on it. Anyone want to let me test ride their CRF : )
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #144
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Well ... it seems pretty pointless to compare CRFL to WRF when you can have a GasGas300EC plated for about the same price, which have the best components (ohlins...), only 225lbs and 60hp, if you want to make serious enduro.

Beside this, i shaved 22 pounds off, added a few horses (FMF, EJK ..), a T63 rear tire and became used how to handle it.
I can say im not ashamed at all by my CRFL, and consider its looking much better.

L

Krono screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 11:23 PM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #145
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Well ... it seems pretty pointless to compare CRFL to WRF when you can have a GasGas300EC plated for about the same price, which have the best components (ohlins...), only 225lbs and 60hp, if you want to make serious enduro.

Beside this, i shaved 22 pounds off, added a few horses (FMF, EJK ..), a T63 rear tire and became used how to handle it.
I can say im not ashamed at all by my CRFL, and consider its looking much better.

L
Shh....some people are not ready for that level of bike. Conjures up all sorts of false rumors like "parts unavailability" and "unreliability".

Which is just fine. Some people like mediocrity.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #146
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You are not ready for that level of bike.Although i have to admit to some level of reliability to your little KTM to be able to move your 300lbs. ,other than that people with your condition are physically unable to haul ass (i dont mean litterally).
Personal attacks will get you a permanent vacation, Scooter.

Do try and stay on topic.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #147
skibikemototour
Banned

Oddometer: 13
Thumb Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg View Post
I just want to say thanks to the OP.
Nice write up.

I have always been a bigger and faster bike owner. But now that Im getting older I wanted a smaller fun bike so I just picked up a Husaberg 350. Man I should of had a small bike in the stable years ago. I just had no idea what fun I was missing with a small bike.

Now I have been giving the Yamaha WRR a look.
Ditto! Thanks OP! Looked at this site for a while, new poster, agree thanks for this. Strange site in some ways, very obsessed Euro-loving fat-boys who just ride the couch it seems mouthing off all the time.Euro bikes are nice, so are Jap bikes- one chooses what they like.

Yep, I decided to give the WRR a try also. Thought about the CRFL. Both good for certain uses, personal preferences.
skibikemototour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #148
desert sled
n00b

Oddometer: 6
ktmtalk.com

kant take mexico
keeps taking money
kick twenty minutes:
desert sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #149
desert sled
n00b

Oddometer: 6
sochiro [sp] says

looks like xr250l is a good bike
thanks for all the good info
desert sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #150
CNDRAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I also have been considering these bikes...as some have stated,it comes to personal choice...riding styles,age,area/type of riding,individual size..I'm 6'2 / 210lbs.(all muscle )

I have been away from the dirt for some time...been luv'n the tarmac and my Triumph.Then for some reason I had a crav'n for some off road FUN.

The things I was looking for in a DS:
  1. Weight (didn't want to fight the bike on tight trails)
  2. Price (for an entry level bike,it's hard to beat the Honda)
  3. Wanted a DS..no need to load into a truck or trailer (pain/less riding time)
  4. Low maintenance (just ride the thing)
  5. Reliability (Both get A+ here)
  6. Dealer support (same)
  7. Fun factor (when I ride...do i look like this )
Lot's of other reasons but ...again we all have different needs and wants,at the end of the day we all want the same thing.

Enjoy the Ride!

OP..A BIG THANK YOU for the thread..and to all that have added great input on two very different bikes... I now know what I'm buying very soon
CNDRAT is offline   Reply With Quote