Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Over Here, it is common (and thus more or less expected) to turn on your flashes if you are not merely braking but rather stopping.
On the Autobahn, or here on the Autostrada, when you travel at 150 km/h you really want that information.
And you really, really want the guy behind you to know that you're halting.

A quick look will tell you that the vehicle behind you have the flashers on as well, and you know you're safe. Much weasier to spot that that it's speed has decreased.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #17
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,363
As Tagesk said, in Europe (and actually a lot of the rest of the world) it is standard practice.

I am lightning quick on the "hazard" or four way button in all my cars/bike for this reason. Drilled in habit. If you've got a Lambo/Scaglietti/SLS/M5/whatever bearing down at you at 250kph (either it's Helmut or Habibi, they all drive fast as hell) you will do anything you can to tell him there's a slow-down. Of course, I haven't put on more than 1000 miles on any kind of vehicle in the US in about 5 years...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
bboshart OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Interesting.. I did expect a favorable response to the use of hazard lights on a motorcycle forum. I received an opposite response on a car forum that I frequent. If you google the subject it would seem most opinion is that hazard lights should never be used when in motion (with the exception maybe of funeral processions and large trucks moving slow up a grade).
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #19
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboshart View Post
If you google the subject it would seem most opinion is that hazard lights should never be used when in motion.
Tried to Google in German or Italian (or French, Spanish, Norwegian......) ?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
same here.

+1
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
In So Cal with sudden slow-downs or stops ('cause there is a bend in the road or the sun is in their eyes and the road is ending!) I use the 4-ways quite a bit.
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I do this all the time; if I have any reason to believe the car behind hasn't seen the queue of stationary/very slow traffic in front, I'll put the hazards on whilst slowing. Once they have started to slow, my hazards go off again. This isn't just me doing this; it's pretty common practice in the UK [EDIT - Not just motorcyclists either; cars, lorries and vans all do it; it's particularly noticeable amongst professional drivers]. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with police present.

It signals that the traffic has stopped and helps avoid an accident, I can't see any downside to it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboshart View Post
Interesting.. I did expect a favorable response to the use of hazard lights on a motorcycle forum. I received an opposite response on a car forum that I frequent. If you google the subject it would seem most opinion is that hazard lights should never be used when in motion (with the exception maybe of funeral processions and large trucks moving slow up a grade).
Whatever saves you from a post in the Face Plant forum, do it.

EDIT: In terms of flashers, I recall certain models of Volvos do this automatically when stopping suddenly.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 108
Just watch out in Alabama - I have seen several volunteer FD people in private vehicles speeding with the 4 ways on. Some other divers think that turn into an emergency vehicle if they turn them on.

Now once I am almost stopped (during an unexpect abrupt stop of traffic) I press both turn signal buttons for a few seconds to give an added alert to those behind me but I already have my escape route planned when I do that. It makes me feel better.
2009 K300GT
K4AN
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
In So Cal with sudden slow-downs or stops ('cause there is a bend in the road or the sun is in their eyes and the road is ending!) I use the 4-ways quite a bit.
Same here in Toronto area...I use them on a regular basis if ther is a sudden stop or big decrease in speed as I don't want to get rear ended...do the same in my car or truck.

That is what they are for...alerting other drivers of your status change.
Most large trucks use them, some other cagers use them.

IMHO, they really do give others a heads up on condition changes.

When I did my paramedic training years ago, we were taught to use the tools available to you to make yourself visible and to allert other of a change in traffic condition that might affect them and you.

P.S. did I mention changes in traffic condition?
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
Duall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
It is standard practice in Europe and that's why everybody knows what to expect when they see your 4ways on, they also use 4ways for thanking someone behind you that just let you in front of them. It makes sense therefore it makes driving safer and a little more civilized.
Rent our Apartment in Budapest @ www.walnut-apartment.com
Duall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #27
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duall View Post
It is standard practice in Europe and that's why everybody knows what to expect when they see your 4ways on, they also use 4ways for thanking someone behind you that just let you in front of them. It makes sense therefore it makes driving safer and a little more civilized.
We Americans can always use more civility.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
Lol

Americans still can't seem to grasp the idea that slower traffic should move to the right... In the EU, if you are "flashed" and don't move over, you may even be cited by the Po-Po!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
A Kisan Signal Minder flasher replacement offers a "brake flash" function automatically which flashes the turn signals when the brake light comes on. The blink rate decays exponentially until the turn signals are on solid. Use red LED turn signal bulbs in the rear and you will be fully road legal. Since the Kisan feature is automagic, you keep your hands on the bars where they belong when in traffic.

I use a Signal Minder and a Run-n-Lites Liteblazer on my R100GS and I feel much more confident that people behind me can see me...

ignatz72 screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 10:48 AM
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #30
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,422
No reason not to use your flashers to warn the traffic behind you, but as soon as another vehicle behind you pulls up and stops (or slows if that's the situation) then your message has been sent and received--time to turn them off. Otherwise you're just aggravating the hell out of me them!