ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #16201
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
Related to our conversation: this is a pretty hilarious story. A guy outsourced his own job to China

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/201...ch-cat-videos/

lmao...
The story goes a little something like this. A developer at a US-based critical infrastructure company, referred to as “Bob,” was caught last year outsourcing his work to China, paying someone else less than one fifth of his six-figure salary to do his job. As a result, Bob had a lot of time on his hands; in fact, during the investigation, his browsing history revealed this was his typical work day:

9:00 a.m. – Arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours. Watch cat videos.
11:30 a.m. – Take lunch.
1:00 p.m. – Ebay time.
2:00 – ish p.m Facebook updates – LinkedIn.
4:30 p.m. – End of day update e-mail to management.
5:00 p.m. – Go home.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #16202
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
yup, can't outsource hauling trash
Those f***ers get paid really well but my back isn't up to it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #16203
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 939
job search gets interesting

Job search turned up this company hiring:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/acc/3509404993.html

http://www.identitymotors.com/

I wonder if they've seen this:

www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!

GHO100 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 12:00 PM
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #16204
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
I don't know your line of business, but I had a client who insisted on using an offshore software dev team. The company's logic was, "If they charge only 20% of what domestic programmers charge, then even if they take twice as long, it will still be a bargain!"

I was tasked with managing their work. I can tell you with authority, that is NOT true.

Developers charging only 20% (or 40%, whatever) may actually NEVER get the project done. Never. Not in 200% of the time. Not in 400% of the time. Simply NEVER. And, often if they do, the code quality will be SO terrible that making ANY change in the future will be difficult, or impossible.

I hired two of the best developers I knew locally to manage about 15 off-shore devs. We did this for about three years.

After that experience, I have no fear of being replaced with offshore computer programmers.

Pretty much all of them were well-meaning, and hard-working. That is the good part. However, as the saying goes: "Failure: When your very best just isn't good enough."

Despite their best intentions, we found the developers we worked with (about 40 individuals at three different companies) to be uniformly mediocre. At one point I asked my friend and lead dev (one of the most talented programmers I've ever worked with in 19 years of doing this professionally) to grade all the offshore resources we were using on an "A" to "F" scale.

Nobody got an "A".

One dev got a "B". FYI, after the project he moved to the US and now is H1B staff, charging American-level wages.

All the rest got "C", "D", and "F". One comment from my friend which stuck in my mind:

"I'll give XXXX a 'D'. He creates more bugs than any other developer on the project, but he fixes a lot, too." Put THAT on your resume!

Bottom line for me is this: If a company has never worked with good developers, then they might as well offshore to India/China/Russia/Philippines. You'll never know what you're missing.

However, if you need the job done RIGHT, you will need actual.. you know... professionals.
I'm in a completely different field... had an identical experience with Indian outsourcing. "You get what you pay for" has never been more true!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #16205
mbishara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Bob is not an honest guy. My company has a full IT department overseas. Overseas does not mean poor quality.

There are a lot of talented people around the world.

But what Bob did was dishonest by deceiving his employer. It's the employer's choice on IT strategy, not Bob's.

Personal web page:
http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbishara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #16206
arZan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Time to find a new world.

...I had to go work in a town that smelled of burning human feces).

And how does burning human feces actually smell ? This is a really ignorant statement to make.

Areas of New Jersey along the Turnpike near Newark smell horrible too. Should I categorize the entire United States to be like that ?

And yes before you ask, I am Indian but living in Brooklyn for the last decade and half.

93 Yamaha Vmax 1200
91 Honda Nighthawk 750
87 Kawasaki KB-100

News Views & Analysis | Urban Architecture | Parsi Khabar
arZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #16207
Ryan
Flugistani

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Thanks Rich.

I did open the tank to make sure I had fuel but it still wouldn't start. I'm home know and charging the battery, I'll try it in an hour.

Thanks for the advice!!
Don't know if you got it going by now, but check the air filter, especially if ridden off-road.

"There's Absolutely No Excuse for the Way I'm About to Act"
http://longerfasterstronger.wordpress.com/
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #16208
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Anyone need a ram mount for a Tom Tom ONE XL or XL-S?

Found this sitting in a box, I ordered it by mistake a long while back. If you can use it it's yours for a brewski.

It's the RAM-HOL-TO5U
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #16209
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by arZan View Post
Areas of New Jersey along the Turnpike near Newark smell horrible too.
Given the choice, I think I'd choose to live in Bombay over Newark any day.

On another note, does anyone have any experience using an EZ Pass in the rally card pocket on a Rallye II jacket? Will it work? Or does the EZ Pass need an unobstructed, line of sight, view at the detector?

It's nice that my most frequent toll booth is now "Pay by Mail" but I think I'd like to try an EZ Pass but don't really want to mount it to my bike if I can avoid it.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #16210
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

On another note, does anyone have any experience using an EZ Pass in the rally card pocket on a Rallye II jacket? Will it work? Or does the EZ Pass need an unobstructed, line of sight, view at the detector?
I have seen a lot of riders do that with no issues.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #16211
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

EZ-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

EX-Pass is very particular about WHERE the tag is located on your vehicle: How high, how far back, etc. I used to have a "system" in which I kept my EZ-Pass in my jacket breast pocket, and with my right hand would extract it and hold it up, without stopping.

It almost never worked.

OTOH, since mounting it on my windscreen, I've never had to wait like an ass for the toll booth attendant to fix the problem. (In NYC we have gates.)

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #16212
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 939
Fuck you, and fuck your acusation of ignorance.

You know what burning human feces smells like? BURNING HUMAN FECES. Its the smell of a city so poorly managed that people dump piles of trash and excrement in front of their homes on the street and set fire to it. Its the smell of a city where people neatly tuck their cellphones between their shoulders and ears, and whip their dicks out in the middle of the sidewalk and take a piss while still walking. Its the smell of a city that lets dead dogs and cattle rot in the middle of the roads.

Did I make a general statement about India? No. Guess you have some insecurity issues about your origins, and no, I don't give a shit if you're Indian. You brought that up, and I wouldn't have asked. So go fuck yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arZan View Post
And how does burning human feces actually smell ? This is a really ignorant statement to make.

Areas of New Jersey along the Turnpike near Newark smell horrible too. Should I categorize the entire United States to be like that ?

And yes before you ask, I am Indian but living in Brooklyn for the last decade and half.
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #16213
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,364

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #16214
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post

I'm thinking NOT curry for lunch. Anyone?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #16215
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
You know what burning human feces smells like? BURNING HUMAN FECES. Its the smell of a city so poorly managed that people dump piles of trash and excrement in front of their homes on the street and set fire to it. Its the smell of a city where people neatly tuck their cellphones between their shoulders and ears, and whip their dicks out in the middle of the sidewalk and take a piss while still walking. Its the smell of a city that lets dead dogs and cattle rot in the middle of the roads.

C'mon George, you know the rules.... pics or it didnt happen. Great sigline material though.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote