Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Clearly it must be in a rift in the space-time continuum if Eddie is going to the South Is 25 Jan, staying there 2 Jan & sailng back 3 Feb

Or inland from Kaikoura.

We are planning on going in & camping on the first open weekend of the season, 12-13 Jan on the way down to the dusty butt.

Cheers
Clint
You misread... Eddie's going to the little-known Calrance reserve. It resides in a rift in the space-time continuum.
The better-known Clarence reesrve is inland from Kaikoura.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
I'm heading across the ferry on Friday Jan 25th and off down south for Bike Week at Bannockburn (http://www.bikeweeknz.com/), heading back up and hoping to stay in Clarence River reserve on Saturday night Feb 2nd before crossing the ferry back to Wellington Feb 3rd.
I don't know what your all talking about.....

To keep things on topic, here's my 950 on the TSS Earnslaw

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums

Eddieb screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 05:19 PM
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
You misread... Eddie's going to the little-known Calrance reserve. It resides in a rift in the space-time continuum.
The better-known Clarence reesrve is inland from Kaikoura.

Thanks guys....glanced that much through Google.
There's a heck of a lot of country "inland from Kaikoura"....reaching right across to the WestCoast.

I'll dig it up somewhere, sometime...

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #34
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
Thanks guys....glanced that much through Google.
There's a heck of a lot of country "inland from Kaikoura"....reaching right across to the WestCoast.
I'll dig it up somewhere, sometime...
Here you go. Limited weekends Jan - Feb. Here's the PDF blurb. Spectacular in there. Here's my ride report from 2011 (just after the Chch earthquake).

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #35
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Here you go. Limited weekends Jan - Feb. Here's the PDF blurb. Spectacular in there. Here's my ride report from 2011 (just after the Chch earthquake).
Thanking you muchly, sir!!

Was hoping to be able to have a snoop on the next ride, but we're about 3 weeks too late.
Just means another trip one of those years

Love your pics....this is beautiful !!

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #36
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
spacekadet, jondirt,

after visitng friends in Adelaide over Christmas and new year, I will rent a Yamaha 660 Tenere in Christchurch on January 6th and plan on looking at easier gravel roads (found some here and http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/ ). The Yamaha is much heavier than my G650 X Challenge, so more than a few water fords are probably not right with a rented bike. I will return the motorcycle on Friday 18th.

Is there a chance of joining you?

This is all short term planning, I know. But my girl-friend ditched me 2 weeks ago. She will be signing up for an organised trip. I will do what I have done many times in recent years: gravel traveling. But eventually not alone this time?

Greetings from Graz, Austria
Ulf
Hi there Ulf,

We'd be delighted to have your company for any parts of our trip that cross over. We are arriving Christchurch on 3 Jan and getting the bike on 4 Jan. Rough plan is to head south to Invercargill, then back up to Manapouri for lake cruise on 5 th. However if the distances are too long we'll just head straight to Manapouri. Must be in Queenstown 6 and 7th as we have accommodation booked there.

At this stage the only "adv" type road I'm planning to do it is the one discussed above that involves the Earnslaw. PM me if any of this fits in with your plans.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #37
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Back from South Island last w/e

Just checking in to thank the riders who posted on this thread for great advice on South Island routes. The trip got a bit rushed in the end and I didn't have time to follow up on any offers, but would surely like to on a future trip,

Ended up doing a clockwise circuit Christchurch - Dunedin - Invercargill - Te Anau - day trip to Milford - Queenstown via Mavora Lakes and TSS Earnslaw - day trip up to Greenstone on the other side of the lake - Arrowtown (?) and mountain pass to Haast - Fox Glacier - Authur's Pass back to Christchurch. Did a 1/2 day trip on the last day around Christchurch harbour and hinterland.

Had the GS1200 for 8 days, total of just under 2,500 km. Amazing ride, did not want to give the bike back. Hard to say which was the best part - the West Coast was spoilt by 300 mm of rain in one day, blizzard winds and temps around 13 degrees C. We were sitting in front of an open fire on the same day as they had 43 degrees C in Sydney! I'd like to try that bit again with better weather.

For me the best single location was the day ride up to Greenstone from Christchurch. Bit of everything, including dirt and creek crossings. Scenery looks like it was copied from a Swiss postcard. But Milford is amzing too, and the ride past Mavora Lakes to Mt Walter is fun, especially with the 100 year old TSS Earnslaw to complete the hop a across the Queenstown. All creek crossings were a little deeper than "advertised" due to wet weather. The deepest would have been on the way to Greenstone, probably just over my feet. Scariest was on the way to Haast - dirty brown water flooding the road, could not see how deep it was. Waited for a motorhome to go then followed - maybe only 150 mm deep but pretty fast flowing. That road was closed later that day.

As noted by others, Arthur's Pass would put a smile on anybody's face.

Our 8 days of riding was comfortable - you'd need 2 more to get all the way up to Nelson without rushing. But I could happily spend three weeks or more there.

Also would like to thank the guys at NZ Motorcycle Tours & Rentals - the GS 1200 was "as new" and fitted with a good set of Anakees and bulky luggage. Everything just right.

I'm a Tiger XC800 owner but no complaints about the GS1200. Lovely bike - great ergonomics and the gear ratios are more sensible than the Tiger :( Engine isn't as much fun though.

First day on the bike not a care in the world...

Nice day for ride? (on the way to Haast, West Coast)

Following the lake North from Queenstown
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote