User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Oddometer: 42
Bandit 1250s (2007 non-ABS)

I think I kind of go through these same questions every now and again. I'm just looking for some general ideas/opinions. I have had this bike a little over a year now so I'm much more versed in it's highs and lows:

1) The brakes suck and the rear tire will lock up with little stopping power or foot effort. So forget the back brake, do steel breided lines on the fron tend to help significantly with this bike?
2) I have 17,000 miles on the bike. Any services recomendations that I need to pay attention to in the manual or maybe not pay attention to? For example, the bike isn't ridden really hard, I'd say about medium whith short shifts and rare WOT. So shoud I even worry about the valves at this point? I keep hearing that they stay in spec MUCH longer than the manual suggest. What about plugs and fork oil?
3) Can anyone recommend better lighting front and rear? The headlight stinks and the rear brake light stinks. I know the PIAA lights could be mounted in the front but they are SO expensive. Also, purhapse one of those blinking LED license plate brackets in the rear? Unless someone has a better idea; I'm up for suggestions.

I think that about does it for the moment.
Harry'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

One more question

Does anyone know if there is a chart showing the speed in all gears on this bike? 1st gear must be around 60mph? 2nd around 85?
Is there a chart out there?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
2007 Bandit

I have this same bike and have owned it for four years. At this price point, there are some concessions that are easily compensated for through after market companies with a lot of info on some Bandit forums.

Brakes- I changed the fluid and found this to help emensly. Steel lines front and rear along with different pads will make a big difference for not a lot of labor and offer a good return for the money.

Follow the manual on maintenance and you should be ok. I have read that at the 25k mark for valve checks that they were not needed. Run a good oil and change the radiator fluid and all is good.

The lighting is rather weak. Check out some Bandit forums ie. Maximum Suzuki, TWT forums etc. HID bulbs can be added along with LED running lights. Check out the Vendor section for some LED choices.

Check out Dale at Holeshot Engineering. A great place for all of your questions and some after market parts for the Bandit. Great coustomer service and straight foward answers.

PM me for any other questions
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Fred, I appreciate the response. That is a great idea, going to the vendors page, which I never considered doing.
You are correct about the price point of the bike. It does a lot of things well and other things just OK but it's a great bike that just seems to need a little help in some areas. I can tell you when I ride a Ninja 1000 or virtually any Triumph product the quality of the bike compared to the Bandit is immense. Then, you are talking about a huge difference in cost (unless it is the new GSX1250FA which is ridiculously priced).
I'll get all the service work done and I'll hold off on the valves for now. Like you I hear that they really are rock solid well past the recommended 15k service.