Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Mafia OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ulysees vs r1150r

http://www.hdmedhat.com/preowned_bikes.html buell
http://www.brokersmarine.com/motorcy...7ac6d7cf50.htm bmw

So im on the hunt for a new to me bike and have come down to these two options. just wondering what your guys thoughts on these two bikes are. due to there being a foot of snow on the ground, a test ride is not an option. being 6.1 i dont want a bike that makes me look like a dog humping a football. i need a bike tha i can ride a lot around town as well as take me on my long distance fishing trips. comfort is huge, and would be occasionally takin the wife for a short ride. like the pics say the buel has 27000 km and the bimmer has considerbly more. the bimmer also has a regular maintanence done. not sure about the buell. any thoughts on these two bikes would be appreciated.
oh and the buell is three quarters down the page. the one for 6400
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Having owned an '06 XB12X I can say it's a nice bike and pretty reliable and dead easy to work on. It's more sport-tour oriented than dual sport, that's for sure. It lacks a center-stand and shaft drive. The wheel bearings are somewhat notorious for failing on early versions. You say you're 6'1" so you should fit it just fine. Given the choice between the 1150 and and the XB12X I go with the BUELL. :)
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,426
I assume that you are looking at the 2007 Buell? For my money, the 2010 they have would be a better deal. 2008 and up Buells were improved over earlier models and the 2010 was the best of all.

I have a friend with both an 1150 GSA and a Buell XT. He says the Buell is sportier but the BMW is more solid and reliable. He likes both but says if he had to keep one, it would be the BMW.

If you want to save some money, do a fly and ride. Both bikes are cheaper in the US and both are eligible for import.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Trapper315
Bold Adventurer

Oddometer: 6
Buell XB12X vs BMW R1150GS

I have both and have ridden both for long multi days rides across the US both two up and solo. My grandson who rode pillion across the US from NY to California and back on both, says the Buell is more comfortable. As a rider I also have to say the Buell is more comfortable and my legs do not seem to get as cramped up after hours of Interstate riding like they do when I am on the 1150GS. However, I am only 5ft 9in tall and that may be a factor. I agree with the other posts that say the Buell is more sport touring oriented than off highway adventure touring. Up until this past year it was almost impossible to get real dirt oriented tires for it. The 1150GS is a much more all around bike especially if you may be thinking about longer adventure rides. The Buell however, is easier to maintain as you do not have to worry about adjusting the valves on a regular basis like the BMW. The horse power to weight ratio as well as the ability to carry higher weights is better with the Buell XB12X or XB12XT. If I was forced to keep only one however, the Buell would go and I would keep my 1150GS.
Trapper315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,250
You'll be able to find spares for the BMW until 2050.

Just sayin'
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 794
at 6'1" you'd be scrunched up on the 1150R. I have a black 2003 which has been flawless for 10 years now. The ergs may not work for you on a R1150R. My .02 cents. Good luck.

PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRR View Post
at 6'1" you'd be scrunched up on the 1150R. I have a black 2003 which has been flawless for 10 years now. The ergs may not work for you on a R1150R. My .02 cents. Good luck.

I am 6'3" and my GSA is all-day comfortable. You might want to look for a GS/GSA instead of an R.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I am 6'3" and my GSA is all-day comfortable. You might want to look for a GS/GSA instead of an R.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
Several of the bike mags had selected the R1150GS as Sport Touring Bike of the Year several years back citing handling and ergonomics.

As for servicing, the boxer is dead simple and you have spares for the rest of your life.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
It's been said

By two different posts, so far. Mine will make three. I have both a Buell Lightning Long, and a BMW Rockster (think sporty r1150r), and 100% if I HAD to choose one bike, BMW.

Three people have now told you what you should already suspect. The BMW is the ride that you'll always use, and will always do you right.

The Buell is fun, fast, and great, IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. Long distance and with a passenger are NOT those times.

What was said about maintenance is correct. BOTH are really reliable, thought the Buell has left me stranded WAY far from home, while the BMW has NEVER come close to that. The BMW has 50,000 amazing miles on it from me, the Buell has 17,000miles and I LOVE to commute to work on it. I'm 5'10 and both bikes fit me well, though the wife is fond of the Buell, she will ONLY pick the BMW for any trip, short or long. It is SO much more comfortable, and all my friends with the GS sing the same tune about their girlfriends, and wives. Though I'm the only one with the Buell as the speed bike. If you test ride them, bring your significant other, or just assume that YOU will never want or ask anyone to be on there with you.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Don't forget that Harley tends to treat Buells like a retarded red head step child and won't be too helpful if you need something.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Don't forget that Harley tends to treat Buells like a retarded red head step child and won't be too helpful if you need something.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
EVERY TIME I need something, it's about internet shopping and/or friends to help work on the Buell. The Dealership has over charged and done questionable jobs on the RARE chance they get to touch it. Though MOST jobs can be done yourself, but know that before you buy.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlazerIrregular View Post
By two different posts, so far. Mine will make three. I have both a Buell Lightning Long, and a BMW Rockster (think sporty r1150r), and 100% if I HAD to choose one bike, BMW.
There's a big difference in ergos between the Lightning and the Ulysses. My '07 Ulysses was the most comfortable long distance bike I've ridden that was not a full blown tourer. It was more comfortable than my 1100GS or my MG Norge and never gave me any problems.

If I had to choose between the Uly or 1150R, I'd take the Buell every time for both comfort and fun. There's not a thing wrong with boxer motors, but they just don't do it for me like a good v-twin.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 707
What is this r1150r of which you speak?

Get the Uly and spend the other 8 grand on gear and a road trip this summer.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Had an 07 uly. Fun to ride and very comfortable. However, by 2009 it had already begun to rust in spots, and when the rear wheel bearing failed at 75 mph I almost shit my pants.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote