Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #406
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
I'm probably telling you something you already know but here goes anyway.
The A-Star Scouts are really stiff when new. This adds to the lack of shiftability (not a word). Take the rubber off the foot-peg (you probably already have) and raise the shift lever up a bit. Until the boots get some flexibility at the ankle you'll probably have to shift "dirt bike" style.
With a stiff boot like this I usually wear them around the house walking to speed up the break-in process.
Some wear full on MX boots which are a hell of a lot less shift friendly so put in the time and those Scouts will loosen up for ya. They are nice Dual Sport boots.

As far as the pegs go....well they look real nice. $$$
I was laughing at myself the first day I walked around the house in them. Felt goofy!
Actually, I have not removed the rubber, so that's the first thing on the agenda. If that's not enough, I'll adjust the lever up.
I do like the boots.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #407
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,155
I wear A-star Scouts and love them. Never had trouble shifting on the Tiger, but they were already broken in from my previous bikes...
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #408
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,526
The rubber foot peg covers don't work with MX style boots. However, I like them with regular work boots.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #409
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Madstad screen comments

I've got the Madstad Explorer 20 inch on my 800XC. Love the screen. It's much quieter than the stock screen, and offers great wind protection, a good thing in the winter. And in its lowest position, I still look over the top of the screen, which I like. It looks huge and a little ungainly, but it works great, so I can forgive the looks.

But...

At night, the edges of the screen glow, and it is unbelievably distracting. The screen itself remains clear, but the edges glow very brightly. As best as I can tell, the lower leading edge is picking up light from the headlight, causing the glow. In well-lit areas it's not an issue, but on a dark road, it is really distracting.

I was out today looking at car door-edge guard stuff, because I was thinking of slipping some on the lower edge to see if that might help. But the door-edge guard stuff looks too narrow to fit on the edge of the screen.

Then it hit me this evening: black paint or maybe even using a black sharpie, applied only to the edge of the screen, might block the light too.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else notice the glowing screen edges at night?

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #410
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
All clear screens do that. Like you said use permanent black sharpie on bottom edge. You can also use sandpaper to dull the top and side edges.

Or get the light gray tinted screen, .Tinted screens do not transmit light.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #411
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Soldier,

I have had good luck using Krylon paint on the backside (toward rider), of various screens. Clean it real good and spray it. As long as your smooth with your stroke, it will look factory and being it is on the backside, you don't have to worry about anything flying up and chipping it.

Here's my old Tiger.

My Scrambler.

My Ulysses.

Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #412
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks dirtysouth and tampajim.

I've had other clear screens on motorcycles that didn't have glowing edges at night...I think it's that the Madstad sticks out far enough forward to pick up light off the headlight. Also, other clear screens I've had look like they were molded into their shape. The Madstatd looks like it was cut to shape from a curved piece of plexiglass, so the edge is different than if it were molded.

I can't see painting the screen...since it's a large screen, there are times when I need to look through it, and painting it would not work at all. I'll do some testing with electrical tape to see what I need to black out, then either paint just the edge or find something to cover that lower leading edge.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #413
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I'll do some testing with electrical tape to see what I need to black out, then either paint just the edge or find something to cover that lower leading edge.
Why not do a quick test by putting electrical tape over the lower edge?

At least that way, you can confirm that you will get the results you want.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #414
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Why not do a quick test by putting electrical tape over the lower edge?

At least that way, you can confirm that you will get the results you want.
That's exactly what I had planned on doing.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #415
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 604
2 cents

Finally got my new XC accessories mounted so figured I'd add my 2 cents on farkles. I basically sold my '02 1150GS Adventure - had spent almost 10yrs tweaking her to what I considered perfection for distance touring - but the weight thing was an ongoing problem so I went to the 800XC and have no regrets. Here's what I added to mine and have a few photos of the mods:

- TT windshield adjustment bracket
- Triumph fog lights
- Triumph grip warmers
- Triumph headlight protector
- Triumph radiator guard
- Triumph sump guard
- Triumph engine guards
- TT fairing guards
- additional power outlet
- center stand
- TT cases (that was my "big splurge")
- hyperlights

I selected these accessories after reading the thread and contemplating what I'd done to my 1150 over the years. I also ditched the rubber pads on the stock pegs...that drops about 3/4" off pegs and makes it easier for me to ride/shift with my Sidi Crossfire boots.

I've got a Giant Loop Diablo tank bag to install and then it's just a matter of seeing how the XC will do with 500-700 mile days...she's already proven adept at 250!

Given that the XC hasn't napped yet or gotten dirty, I can't add much on the durability of the guards or off-road performance of the pegs, but based on my 1150GS experience, I suspect the XC will do just fine.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #416
clint64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
DarkRider, What size are the TT cases. I ask because I will be buying a tiger in the next 2 months.
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #417
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint64 View Post
DarkRider, What size are the TT cases. I ask because I will be buying a tiger in the next 2 months.
I went with 45/38 liters and didn't do the special cut-out set as I didn't want to mess with the exhaust. I'll add a Pelican case up top at some point soon, but the cases look quite adequate compared to the Jesse's I had on my GS.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #418
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
Given that the XC hasn't napped yet or gotten dirty, I can't add much on the durability of the guards or off-road performance of the pegs, but based on my 1150GS experience, I suspect the XC will do just fine.
Before the inevitable nap happens, I highly suggest some proper hand guards. I love my HDB guards with the Rox risers. Barkbusters makes some as well. That's a very nicely set up Tiger Darkrider.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #419
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Before the inevitable nap happens, I highly suggest some proper hand guards. I love my HDB guards with the Rox risers. Barkbusters makes some as well. That's a very nicely set up Tiger Darkrider.
Thanks fullmonte - I've definitely got Barkbusters on the "next upgrade/farkle" list. I was out in low 40s temps and really missed the hand guards off my 1150. I've also got a set of TT risers on order...need to get a little more enduro-style angle in my elbows.

Do you have any suggestions on which Barkbusters fit well on the 800XC and if so, perhaps a suggestion on where to buy?

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #420
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
BarkBusters makes a model specific version for the XC. I know you can get them from Twisted Throttle. They're not cheap, but go on easily. They've been discussed in one of these Tiger threads recently and there are tweak$ you can do to make them fit better.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote