Rutsref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #6108
RiderJones
sketchy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutsref View Post
"You either like bacon, or you're wrong"

Recently seen on the internets : "I used to have trouble choking down the pills I have to take for controlling my cholesterol, but it’s a lot easier now that I wrap them in bacon." ~ Brad Simanek

RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #6109
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Is the Dakar over yet?

Been a busy couple of weeks -- stomach flu for my birthday , then Dad visiting from Chicago, then made 60+lbs of chili for our annual ADV party at the ADVentureLoft™.

Good times.

Back to the ride report, eh?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #6110
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 11: Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012

Today was a nice easy day of riding. Until it wasn't.

The day's route took us south out of Medicine Bow, WY, crossing I-80 at Arlington, where we'd gas up, and then dive into the Medicine Bow NF, stopping again for fuel at Centennial, and eventually finding our way across the border into CO into the Roosevelt NF, emerging back onto pavement at the dunes at Colorado State Forest State Park, which almost proved to be Steve's (and Blueberry's) undoing.

Good times.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #6111
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We woke up

to a bit 'o frost,

and hustled to move our gear off the grass, not knowing if we'd be subject to a timed sprinkler system.

Big Dog packed up his new-found chair,

And we had wheels rolling into the great beyond 'round 8am.

Not a cloud in the sky, heading towards CO, AKA "Campfire Heaven".
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #6112
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wide open throttle

This is where one might be happiest having a 1200cc motorbike.

The miles rolled off easily.

Navigation wasn't an issue. We spied some windmills up ahead.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #6113
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wind farm

It was an impressive installation.

Still hazy from the wildfires.

and not very windy this morning.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #6114
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When we crossed

I-80, Big Dog stopped to make some phone calls to check up on a family situation.

He was good to continue.

Entering Medicine Bow NF we passed these fences -- maybe to keep snow from drifting?

Or maybe to keep the mexicans out, like we saw in Canada?

The leaves were really starting to show some color up here,

Know what I mean?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #6115
corsair4360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Fences

Those fences are to make the snow drifts occur not on the roadway, but adjacent so that plowing will not be needed as frequently. All over Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and states in that area. The fence slows down the wind slightly to cause the suspended moisture particles to drop out on the ground. They work amazingly well as I recall (lived in that country for many years al ong time ago.
corsair4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #6116
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oh yeah...

This was gonna get good,

Notice how the SUV's pull right over the moment they sense the power of a mighty DRZ bearing down upon them.

We kept stopping to take pitchers, the leaves were so purdy.

At 10,000 ft. we followed a nice shelf road around a valley,

It was 'bout 11am, we'd been making great time, totally smooth sailing.

a short stretch of pavement, and we were in Centennial, WY.

We stopped at a cafe for some coffee and a sit down snack. Brunch, you could call it.

If I recall, on this very spot, someone left her heated grips on and needed a bump start.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #6117
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Climbing out of Centennial,

The road was no less pretty, and a bit more technical.

Winding through the forest, every once in awhile LDF would complain about her steering, and I'd stop and check it out and it'd be fine... wimmin.

I had no idea what I'd routed, but we hadn't had to re-route, so I was pretty stoked.

We skirted a nice meadow,

and even had a water crossing,

which in this drought was a treat.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #6118
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rob Roy reservoir

looked pretty low,

Just past Keystone on Douglas Creek,

we got lucky; there was some tree work on the road,

we didn't see anyone, so we rode on through...

on the other side,

we scooted through these barricades. Oooops.

I think the crew was at lunch. oh well.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #6119
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ahem,

This is right near the border -- for the record, the lodge at Wyocolo is closed, and there's no gas there. But I knew that.

Deadwood.

Here's the border:

No dancing girls or nothin'. Just a cattle guard. Whoopie.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #6120
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Right away

in Colorado, you could tell the fall colors were better.

This could have been ugly right around 1:00

What a perfect day. So far.

Francine loves tearing through the aspens.