Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #91
MissOrganized OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris View Post
Heeeey it's ur favourite aussie, hope u had a great ride! get me on fb cause I've a bunch of photos lost ur Email !! But joined adv and stalked ur post, just in Ushy at the end of my trip. Take care and talk soon :)
Hey! Good to hear from you and glad you made it all the way South! Congratulations! Poodle has the paper somewhere with your address on it and when he finds it we'll email/facebook you.

We fly home tomorrow. It was so good to meet you and we hope to see you again sometime.
MissOrganized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #92
MissOrganized OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Shipping Home

I still have a question on whether or not we will see our bikes again, and if it would have ended up being cheaper and easier to just ship them home via air the same way we shipped them south.

We dropped off the bikes at a "warehouse" in Santiago the day we left. It was in a super sketchy part of town and I really wondered how safe we were personally as well as how likely we'd see our bikes and all those important papers we left along with them -- we made it out just fine, and the bike safety remains to be seen.

Earlier this week I got news that we might have a solid ship date scheduled now and the bikes should start their trip home in the next week or two, provided I can transfer a pile of money into the shippers bank account at Chase Bank. I will do that tonight and hopefully will have a secured ship date by early next week.

I don't really know what we will have to do to get them out of Customs once they arrive back on US soil, but I decided that's a problem for future-me and for now I"ll just wait. Wish me luck -- I'll update again when we have the details complete and can comment or recommend / not-recommend the shipper.

I'm also trying to remind Poodle to get a bunch of pictures posted -- we have selected our favorites and there's only about 400 in the "favorites" folder. I suppose we'll have to cut it down a whole lot more.

Gosh! What a great trip that was!
MissOrganized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #93
rcroese
Haarlem Globetrotter

Oddometer: 22
Sounds like quite a normal ocean shipping event - it always takes a lot longer than expected. I shipped my bike from Johannesburg to Detroit one time and it took a month longer than expected. When it arrived, the crate had been transshipped so many times that it was quite busted and the bike was hanging by its straps.

Importation in Detroit was a bit dicey and the customs people were demanding all kinds of stuff, until one of them finally understood that it was my bike, I held the registration in my hand, and that I was just bringing it home from where it had started 6 months earlier. After the light went on in this fellow, he placed a stamp on the paper and there was nothing else to do. I "uncrated" the bike right there, threw the busted timbers on the side of the building, put it on the back of my truck and we were off. No problem.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some of those pictures!

rcroese screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:17 PM
rcroese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #94
Adventurous Human
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Pics pics pics
Adventurous Human is offline   Reply With Quote