Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #376
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
Do you think this table (with the better front wheel chock) would handle a full dress harley? FLHTCUI

Seems like it would be maxed out...
At a small car and scooter sales place i used to work at, we had one of these lifts for working on the scooters, had a guy bring in an ElectraGlide for an oil change. We had one guy duckwalk the bike onto the lift under engine power and another to strap it down before he got off, it lifted it up and we did the oil change. Would I recommend doing heavy wrenching on a bike that big on it , but for oil changes and stuff it would be fine.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #377
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratski View Post
Would I recommend doing heavy wrenching on a bike that big on it , but for oil changes and stuff it would be fine.

I don't think it makes a difference what you are doing to the bike. (oil change/valve job) The table is doing the same job regardless of what you are doing to the bike. It works fine. I have no issue loading a Concours 14 on it myself with the stock wheel clamp.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #378
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 277
HF is a mixed bag...

I have a few various tools that have held up well, the Pittsburg hand tools sure aren't Snap-On, but I have yet to break one. The ratcheting box-end wrenches are super practical, and I've gotten good use out of them. OTOH, every time I go to HF, someone is returning an electric tool of some sort that didn't work, or stopped working.

The best thing I ever bought there is a mechanic's stool... my knees thank me every time I use it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...seat-3338.html
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #379
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,002
I bought 4 HB machete's and although they took 4 weeks to get here, I love them! Gave 3 as gifts and kept one myself. I polish one to almost a mirror finish and sharpened it to a pretty good edge.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #380
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
I have a few various tools that have held up well, the Pittsburg hand tools sure aren't Snap-On, but I have yet to break one. The ratcheting box-end wrenches are super practical, and I've gotten good use out of them. OTOH, every time I go to HF, someone is returning an electric tool of some sort that didn't work, or stopped working.

The best thing I ever bought there is a mechanic's stool... my knees thank me every time I use it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...seat-3338.html
I have that same stool. Use it all the time.

Have bought a lot of things from HF. Can't bring myself to buy their screwdrivers though.

The 1/2" electric impact is w/o a doubt my favorite. Every time I use it I'm glad I bought it.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #381
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,194
^I've had the rolling mechanic's seat like that for about 9 years and like it a lot, too.
BUT the "high impact PVC pan" gets very brittle and breaks off in chunks when it gets old. I guess I'll try to bend up a replacement out of aluminum sheet.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #382
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
I've never been a fan of Harbor Freight...BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
I got the torque wrench

I always make sure to loosen it all the way when I'm done with it, which I think helps a lot.
The directions I got with the foot pound and inch pound Craftsman torque wrenches I bought years ago said to always loosen them after each use or they could/will go out of spec.

Another inmate mentioned this plastic welder ten-fifteen pages back...

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ron-67102.html

Another inmate I know, Old Man River, bought one, and also bought one of these too...

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ent-96712.html

He reported no problems, even though the reviews weren't stellar. I needed to weld some boats where I work so I talked the boss into buying both.
The first one gets OK reviews, nothing special...once it's at operating temp, DON'T push it into the work trying to speed up the process. The plastic handle gets hot and will bend/fail if forced. Let the heat do the work. Higher end units(at $279+) have a tip that has an opening to place a welding rod into the tip. A much better option and a much higher price.

The second one gets poor reviews...always turn the heat adjustment screw to zero before flipping the switch on and always turn it to zero and let it cool before turning the unit off. One thing I don't like about it is the lack of an adjustment for the air. HIgher end units(at $700+) have a few different tips which would be real nice to have.

They both got used moderately this fall and I've had no problems with them...so far. I'm in need of a good plastic welder now and have been looking at other similar models. But at seven times the price it looks like I'll be heading to Harbor Freight soon.

Question.
I notice some folks saying that a certain item will go on sale on a certain date. How do you know when they are going on sale?
I'd like to purchase the Moto table lift but I'm not spending the $420 it list for.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #383
atlthrux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I was at the library in December & saw the coupon for the lift in one of the popular motorcycle magazines that I don't normally read (Cyclist or Motorcyclist?). I think the coupon was good until 1/31. So maybe hit a Barnes & Noble.

Also, search ebay; people sell coupons. Pay $10 to save a $125...makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Question.
I notice some folks saying that a certain item will go on sale on a certain date. How do you know when they are going on sale?
I'd like to purchase the Moto table lift but I'm not spending the $420 it list for.
atlthrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #384
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Question.
Sign up on their web site and you get advance notice of all the sales. Also, check the moto mags for 3-4 page spreads.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #385
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
Quote:
Question.
PM me a snail mail address and I can mail you a $299 coupon. They are always in all of the magazines.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #386
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlthrux View Post
I was at the library in December & saw the coupon for the lift in one of the popular motorcycle magazines that I don't normally read (Cyclist or Motorcyclist?). I think the coupon was good until 1/31. So maybe hit a Barnes & Noble.

Also, search ebay; people sell coupons. Pay $10 to save a $125...makes sense.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Sign up on their web site and you get advance notice of all the sales. Also, check the moto mags for 3-4 page spreads.

Jim
Ah, the secret is out! Done! Thank you sir!
Missed you at the RTE last weekend. The weather was kind of crappy but the sun was out West of Skyline Drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
PM me a snail mail address and I can mail you a $299 coupon. They are always in all of the magazines.
EDIT: On second thought, if the offer still stands, I'll take you up on the offer! I will PM you my snail mail info. Thanks again!

I'm looking real hard at the 1/2" electric impact gun for tire rotations on my truck. It wears my ass out using a lug wrench to remove then replace 32 lug nuts, not to mention man handling five 34" tires/rims.
For $39 if I get one use out of it I'll be happy.

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 12:31 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #387
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
A review, a plea for help....

First, nice thread idea Jim....and thanks to everyone for the reviews .

So I bought this bead breaker from HF, and I think it sucks. I'm not able to use it as well as I want. I have to stand on the tire (rotor-side up) in order to break the bead. This is kind of hard to do, since the bottom stand wants to move away from me as I bring the lever down. It's a real PITA, and I can never really secure it.

I don't think I can break the bead on the rotor side. I'm too scared of scratching the rotor.
Duel rotors up front? Fuhgeddaboudit!

So right now it's a fail. I know some people have reviewed it and liked it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any mod ideas for this? I was thinking about securing the base to a 2x4 by a few feet, and then running it over with my car as an anchor point. Sounds lame, I know....

It was a $35 experiment, so I figured what the heck...

http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the process of buying my first home. I'm trying to price out my new "Garage Mahal" , so these reviews were helpful, thanks.
The red toolchest did seem kind of flimsy in person, though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Just finished filling mine:

Tool Cart Organization:

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORet View Post
Normally, I take anything from Harbor Freight with a grain of salt. Some things are decent, and some aren't.
You really do get what you pay for. However, sometimes I do run across a real good find. This was one:

For the price I paid ($128.00), it is an extremely good workbench. Easy to put together, no missing/damaged parts and
very sturdy. I do all my leatherwork/reloading/gunsmithing on it, and haven't had any problems. I'd definitely buy another.

BTW - Sorry about the picture size.

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 12:33 PM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #388
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
That tire bead breaker is a century old design. Worked great on VW Beetle rims. Back in the day, you know.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #389
Ceemack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Anyone use this? Might be good for front tire changes?
I've had one for about 18 months, and I'd definitely rate this as a pass--with a couple of warnings.

My poor KLR has been up on this thing for almost the full 18 months, as I've been in and out of hospitals with little time to work on the bike. Use the safety pin once you'd got the bike lifted.

Warning #1: drill a hole through the handle, just below the bottom of the handgrip, and put a small bolt through it with a couple of nylon spacers. The handle is stored by sliding into a hole in the top of the support post. It's designed so that the handle will keep the handle from falling all the way down into the lift. But the shaft of the handle can slip out of the grip and drop down into the lift. It's a pain to get it out of there, especially if it happens while the bike's on the lift (don't ask how I know). The bolt will keep the shaft of the handle from dropping down into the lift, and the nylon spacers soften the impact and protect the paint on top of the lift.

Warning #2: this will work on some bikes, but not on others. You'd have to look at your own bike to tell if it can be lifted from the bottom of the frame without breaking anything.

Some engine work will be difficult because you can only access one side at a time. But it's great for working on tires, suspension, chains, etc.

Also, the joints all pivot on shoulder bolts. Apply some grease or anti-seize to the shafts of these bolts during assembly.

This is about half the cost of the table lift, and takes up less floor space. I may upgrade to a table lift one of these days, but I've managed to get an awful lot done using this one.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #390
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Love mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
As dumb as it may sound, I love this. It really helps my back when working on anything in the garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...eat-46319.html

I love mine too. My girl calls it her BJ chair.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote