ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #19981
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Ahhh... That's not good. You really should call the county and have someone take the animal and test for rabies. REALLY!! When I was very young we came home to our dog with a killed raccon, had it tested, it had rabies and they/we had to quarantine the dog (and our cat ) for six months to make sure they did not get infected. Do not take this lightly. You and your family, if you have one, could be in danger as well as any other person or animal you dogs come into contact with. The thing is a normal coon that is not all zombied by rabies would not have been caught by your dogs easily. The risk is high. I had to kill a rabid skunk one time too. It was stumbling in circles in our yard in the middle of the day. I mean who gets that drunk in the middle of the day?? Jokes aside, rabies is more common than you may think. Good luck with it man.
Dan-
It is serious with the rabies, but they only do 10-14 days anymore. I had one of my cats reported after a month long killing spree..2 possums, a wood chuck, numerous squirrel and other rodents, rabbits, & 3 Copperheads...Best Cat ever!!! We call him the Honey Badger, cause he doesn't give a shit. The goldens would just roll in the dead carcasses. But I had a neighbor report him and animal control had us quarantine him for 10-14 days can't remember.

Good luck...and give them a couple extra treats for that one.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #19982
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post

Just sayin
That is AWESOME! Great to know there are some officers like this out here (and Jinksy *waves*). I know I personally have never run into one that gave me a break on things like this, but it's nice to know some are understanding of peoples situations and not just out to write as many citations as possible.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #19983
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
That's is, I'm out of here in an hour. Could have left tomorrow and done it in one day, but with the weather, I'm skying out now. Dirtdoctor and I were planning on riding down to the Winter BMW rally in Florida this weekend. Unfortunately life is preventing him from taking a short vacation, but I'm still going.

So the wet weather gear is coming out, the heated vest is firing up, and I'm heading south in a few minutes ahead of the "storm".

If all goes well I'll be home Sunday night. Am taking the GoPro to see if I can film some of the GS rides this weekend in the beautiful Florida sugar sand. Hopefully the roads will be cleared by the time I head home.

See y'all on the flip side.

jeff
Safe trip Jeff!!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #19984
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Dan-
It is serious with the rabies, but they only do 10-14 days anymore. I had one of my cats reported after a month long killing spree..2 possums, a wood chuck, numerous squirrel and other rodents, rabbits, & 3 Copperheads...Best Cat ever!!! We call him the Honey Badger, cause he doesn't give a shit. The goldens would just roll in the dead carcasses. But I had a neighbor report him and animal control had us quarantine him for 10-14 days can't remember.

Good luck...and give them a couple extra treats for that one.
I believe the 6 month quarantine was because they tested the animal and knew 100% it had rabies. Now that I think of it, our dog did not kill it, my dad did. We did not know if our dog bit it or not while barking at it, etc in the yard, hence the long wait. I am pretty sure you can call animal control and they will pick it up and test its brains. Still the only way to test for rabies as far as I know. That's why they quarantine. Otherwise they have to kill your pet to find out.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #19985
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Safe trip Jeff!!

I am still amazed that Jeff rode more in a year than I have in my entire life. I want to read up on his travels when I have time. I read the part about him transitioning to guide on the silk road yesterday... Sometimes I test a "book" against my attention span by peeking into the middle.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #19986
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
That is AWESOME! Great to know there are some officers like this out here (and Jinksy *waves*). I know I personally have never run into one that gave me a break on things like this, but it's nice to know some are understanding of peoples situations and not just out to write as many citations as possible.
That trooper is a decent fellow and will do fair and right by anyone. I wondered how long it would take for one of us to run into him while on the job. As a courtesy to him and others, we try not to describe any illegal activities where he will read it. On the other hand I happen to know he is just as crazy as the rest of us and if you've done something stupid or crazy on a bike he probably has too.

Chris, we need to schedule a RTE some time soon when you can meet up with us.It's been a while.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 06:22 AM Reason: really long run on sentence
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #19987
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,516
Thanks guys. I already called my vet this morning to verify rabies shots and they are both up to date. Vet not concerned, said I could bring them in for a booster so I'm going to do that later. No marks on dog, she must have caught it on the run without a fight. It was 10:30p when it happened. Normal racoon activity time. Not like it was walking around in broad daylight acting funny.

Honey badger, lmao. That would be a good name for this dog, she doesn't give a shit either. Two dogs, a young male lab, fetching machine but just a big doofus otherwise and 6 yr old female terrier mix, possibly part badger, 37 lbs of gristle. Hyper friendly lovey lap dog, even good with the cat, but she is 100% fearless about diving in holes and catching critters.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #19988
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post

Just sayin
Awesome.... too funny.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #19989
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
dogs

If you have a collar on your dogs you should check this out could save there life one day. Keep Safe Break-Away Collar we lost a dog to a strangulation accident not something you ever want to see happen again.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #19990
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,719
Hmmm

"King of serious off-road,has BMW's mighty GS firmly in it's sights with the new 1190 Adventure.
The Austrian manufacturer has played to its strengths, focusing on ergonomics, agility, light weight and
performance using a V-twin from the RC8R superbike.
It's a big step forward from the go-anywhere KTM 990, but can it win a bigger slice of the huge on and
off-road adventure market?"

Uh oh, I better not Demo ride one of these....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #19991
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
"King of serious off-road,has BMW's mighty GS firmly in it's sights with the new 1190 Adventure.
The Austrian manufacturer has played to its strengths, focusing on ergonomics, agility, light weight and
It's a big step forward from the go-anywhere KTM 990, but can it win a bigger slice of the huge on and

Well, if it doesn't take an ENTIRE weekend to do a basic service and four hours to get to the air filter after disassembling half of the bike, no self respecting KTM owner will want one!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #19992
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:

Why does it look like there is a chance the rider could reach the ground from that seat? Do the 1190s have a lower seat height or is the rider in the pic just tall like you?
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #19993
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,719
The stock seats all have a pretty decent cutout so normal people have a chance of tiptoe touch down...thats the first thing a 'fixed'.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #19994
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:

They are still comparing it to the "Gold Standard", the BMW GS!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #19995
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Well, if it doesn't take an ENTIRE weekend to do a basic service and four hours to get to the air filter after disassembling half of the bike, no self respecting KTM owner will want one!
Don't ever attempt to get at the engine side of the ground cable on a 2011 GSA, it will make you turn into an alcoholic. You need a BMW special tool to remove and reinstall the clamps from the air box.

It is cheaper to purchase 2 very high quality positive and negative cables and reroute them and run them in parallel to the existing ones. Then the GSA will happily start on a 19 degree morning.

Don't ask me how I know.............................................. ..

Morton's wanted me to wait until I brought the bike in for a 24K service which was 4K away. This is the 2nd time I've complained about the no starting issue, the 1st time they claimed it was too many ring terminals under the positive screw on the battery...........there was only two and they installed them both