Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #3661
hb7
moto-science

Oddometer: 308
How do you know it's not overfilled ? How many miles on this ?
I use a ~50/50mix of Rotella syn 5w40 and Rotella T 15w50 on a 3000-4000 miles change schedule.
I can tell you this some xt 660's seem to puke more oil than others, and some use more oil than others.
They both run perfect....I can live with the variation, as long as they run perfect.
if you are correct .2L in the airbox is excessive. Suggests that the crankcase pressure is high..
hb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #3662
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Oil in the air box.Has it got the modified breather?.Also use semi synthetic 10/40 oil.I think also blocking the wrong pipe to stop popping will do the same thing.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #3663
TZOX
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I ordered a new breather and hopefully it will stop. I now have synthetic oil yamalube, And whether this could be the cause?
TZOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #3664
TZOX
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I see that they are put into service 2.9 lit. oil.

Is it possible that this is too much? Whether to remain although oil and filter change?
TZOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #3665
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
That's too much! It should be 2.6lt oil with change of the oilfilter, 2.9lt is the capacity of the oiltank. Look in your owner's manual or workshop manual for the right oilchange procedure. Furthermore, checking the oil-level I do after each ride, when the engine is warm: keep the bike upright, let it idle for a while, shut off the engine, wait a minute, unscrew the oildipstick, put it back in(unscrewed) and measure the oillevel. Works fine for me, now at almost 90.000km's still no oilconsumption. I also use an oiltemperature gauge, placed instead of the oildipstick(RR10 got it from Kedo), to watch the oiltemperature. Depending on your riding style and riding short stretches or long hauls, or doing lotsa offroad, you can stick to the 10.000km oilchange intervals or do it on shorter intervals, like every 5.000km(your thumper will appreciate it!). I myself use Castrol 10W40 half-synthetic oil in my Tenere, but there are many other good oils around.
Take care of your bike and it'll take care of you! Also: register to www.xt660.com lots a info on the XT660Z/R/X (and also download of the Workshop and Parts Manual).
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com

dallastx screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 12:54 PM
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #3666
samueleuk
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummbär View Post
Puuuh, thanks Hans! That´s much Stuff to look at.

I have the Hepco an Becker´s at my lil´ Bandit...

Greetings
Ralf
Hi there

may ask you a question about the Hepco and Becker's set. Are the panniers and, especially, the frame up to off-road riding? I am planning to fall quite a lot :-)
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #3667
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you going to ride offroad fully dressed with panniers? If you'll do that, you'd be better off with soft luggage instead of hard luggage, imho., less risk to get hurt. The H&B rack is only available in the Lock-it version, that means it's detachable. Which means that it is less stiffer then a solid rack; for a solid rack, go for a Touratech, Off-the-road or Metal Mule one. So you see, lotsa possibilities and choices, it's all up to you and what your priorities are.
Good luck&greetz, Hans.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #3668
samueleuk
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Dear Hans

thanks for your suggestions. For trail riding around here, I will not use panniers at all. For this reason, having the removable rack would be an advantage. However, during a long trip I m planning (which will include off road riding), I need some secure luggage solution. That;s where hard cases come handy. the H&B seems reasonably priced. The only thing that concerns me is the strength of the rack/

Sam
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #3669
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

No worries there, the strenght is okay, on my Tenere it survived two crashes with only some scratches and even the alu panniers were re-useable. I mostly ride with the alu cases, but sometimes I ride without them, but never took the rack off in all the years(since '08).

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #3670
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,647
Try www.ardcases.co.uk ?

I have those.....powder coated to any colour you want (if required)they have welded seams and have waterproof lids...and he can make them to any size you want also.

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #3671
pelusus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
Has anyone used the Off-The-Road OTR pannier racks? ... If so, what do you think of them?

http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-660-Z-...-Z-Tenere.html

They look quite good for the money...

Also... Does anyone know if they're fit on with Akrapovic mufflers?

Hi!

I have the SHAD ones. Very good prize and algo well-fitted, also with Leovince`s

http://www.shad.es/descargas/shad341.pdf

Here is a photo...

Have a good ride!
pelusus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #3672
pelusus
Adventurer

Tenere Off Road

Here is a video of this nice bike " in action"...

Regards from Spain

Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #3673
pelusus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
That's too much! It should be 2.6lt oil with change of the oilfilter, 2.9lt is the capacity of the oiltank. Look in your owner's manual or workshop manual for the right oilchange procedure. Furthermore, checking the oil-level I do after each ride, when the engine is warm: keep the bike upright, let it idle for a while, shut off the engine, wait a minute, unscrew the oildipstick, put it back in(unscrewed) and measure the oillevel. Works fine for me, now at almost 90.000km's still no oilconsumption. I also use an oiltemperature gauge, placed instead of the oildipstick(RR10 got it from Kedo), to watch the oiltemperature. Depending on your riding style and riding short stretches or long hauls, or doing lotsa offroad, you can stick to the 10.000km oilchange intervals or do it on shorter intervals, like every 5.000km(your thumper will appreciate it!). I myself use Castrol 10W40 half-synthetic oil in my Tenere, but there are many other good oils around.
Take care of your bike and it'll take care of you! Also: register to www.xt660.com lots a info on the XT660Z/R/X (and also download of the Workshop and Parts Manual).
Greetz, Hans.

Exactly!! Nice answer!

2,6 l changing the oil filter. Use semisyntetic oil (I also use the same Castrol one). Check level after warm the bike and wait for about a minute; check unscrewed.

Also, depending your bike year, must change the 'oil breather' (don´t know if is well translated...), this...:

I had to change it because some oil used to go to air chamber. Yamaha notified to made this change in their 2008 bikes.

Have a nice ride!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #3674
pelusus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
Hi all,
has anyone had any issues with premature rear brake pad wear?, I am lucky to get 6000km, and the rear disk is warm after riding 80 km without touching the rear brake pedal.
The wheel spins freely up on the centre stand ( hot and cold) , however I have noticed that the rear calliper moves a little on the slider pins with the bike in gear and the engine running.
I marked the disk with a marking pen when it is rotating and you can clearly see the disk is warped.
I lubricated the calliper pins with calliper pin grease when I fitted new pads but I have the same issue.
So I thought I had warped the disk somehow....so I fitted a new disk from EBC, and the calliper still has movement approximately 1 to 2 mm, longitudinally along the pins.
Perhaps the hub that the disk bolts on to is not quite 100% true thus this is seen in the movement of the disk.
The bearings are OK.
Can someone out there who has a centre stand, start the bike and select 1st gear then check if their rear calliper is doing the same?
Hi!

I had got same problem. I solved it, cleaning and oilin the floating...

More photos about HERE

Hope you solve it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #3675
pelusus
Adventurer

another tenere "in action" video

Hi there!

Another video of XT660Z "in action"

Hope you like it

Regards!