Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #2251
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
. It also looks like a stock 1996 CR250 rear shock might be able to fit.
Is that shock a piggyback reservoir?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #2252
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Since the spacing between the two forks is critical, you must usually swap the entire front suspension, including the triple tree. The CRF250 front wheel must be used with the forks, since the brake caliper must mate properly with the brake rotor, et cetera. Also, the CRF250L has a speedometer sending unit on the right side. Does the CR250 also have a speedometer? I suggest you compare the widths of the CRF250L and CR250 hubs.

I would be very surprised if you don't need to move the triple tree from the CR250 to the CRF250L. If this is the case, you need to determine if the CR250 triple tree will fit in the CRF250L frame. If you wish to mount the CR250 triple tree on your CRF250L, the spindle of the triple tree must mate to the steering stem, et cetera. Even when possible, fork conversions usually require a significant amount of work, which frequently includes machine work.

Spud
No speedo or any of that junk to mess with. Just going to come down to getting all of the wheel spacers right. I am going to test fit it some more tonight, then through my factory front end back on and send those forks off for a rebuild as long as I can figure out the spacing.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #2253
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Will you be shortening the stroke of those CR forks?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #2254
Unclejimmy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
How to change a tire

I have been looking for,the video ,,,how to,change a tire,,,I have tried to locate that video,,,I think it was. On this thread, anyone remember the page or date of thread????uj
Unclejimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #2255
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejimmy1 View Post
I have been looking for,the video ,,,how to,change a tire,,,I have tried to locate that video,,,I think it was. On this thread, anyone remember the page or date of thread????uj

Not a video, but lays it down pretty well:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Copy this into Google for more threads:

site:advrider.com,how to change a tire

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #2256
toddol1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanLemon View Post
"Way out" is relative, Japan is really not that big. Where I live it's something like 150 kilometers coast to coast from west to east, with mountains in the middle. So even though those pictures are countryside, it's not far away. In Japan you never have to go far to get to the countryside, and vice versa you get from countryside to cities very quick.

And if I had the money, or the job to move where LostRider is riding his bike, I would Interestingly though there is a slight chance that I'll be relocation to the US for work in 2014, I was already asked if I could imagine doing so.
great, man. I hope you get to move. I didnt realize it was so small. well lemon, start packing
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #2257
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Upper fork

Anyone know what the "finish" is on the upper fork, maybe sputter coated titanium nitride? I know they used to put some sort of clear coat over the aluminum to thwart oxidation on most of the aluminum way back when. Could also be just anodized.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #2258
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddol1971 View Post
great, man. I hope you get to move. I didnt realize it was so small. well lemon, start packing
Hoping that you want to move, did you check into shipping costs yet? I was checking the shipping cost for US to Australia, as opposed to renting, and it seemed crazy $, then more to ship back home. Plenty of places here to explore, for way less $.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #2259
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Speed is not measured at the front wheel on these bikes. Wouldn't need the SpeedoDRD if it was.
Quote:
No speedo or any of that junk to mess with. Just going to come down to getting all of the wheel spacers right. I am going to test fit it some more tonight, then through my factory front end back on and send those forks off for a rebuild as long as I can figure out the spacing.
Thanks for correcting my error; all my old-school motorcycles employ speedometer sending units. This speedometer units create spacing differences if you switch between a street legal front wheel and a dirt bike wheel.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #2260
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejimmy1 View Post
Here are some excellent tire changing videos. I use the tools and techniques demonstrated in these videos, and they work exactly as demonstrated.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #2261
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Ok, so I'm going forward with this project. I ordered every seal and bushing I could find for these forks. I am bolting on 43mm KYB forks off a 1995 CR250. I ordered Racetech Type 1 Gold Valves FMGV 2530, AB Fork Bushing Kit 38-6014, MSR Forks Seals and Wipers 56-137, Racetech Springs FRSP 395150, 215.VM2.K5 fluid 54oz, Motion Pro Damper Rod Tool, and a Motion Pro Fork Seal Driver.

I know there are some guys that know way more than me about rebuilding forks, so anything I missed? Any instructional youtube vids or write ups on the KYB 43mm? This will be my first fork rebuild.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2262
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
KLX is lacking injection .
I thought it was funny when he called the KLX a finicky little bitch.
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2263
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, so I'm going forward with this project. I ordered every seal and bushing I could find for these forks. I am bolting on 43mm KYB forks off a 1995 CR250. I ordered Racetech Type 1 Gold Valves FMGV 2530, AB Fork Bushing Kit 38-6014, MSR Forks Seals and Wipers 56-137, Racetech Springs FRSP 395150, 215.VM2.K5 fluid 54oz, Motion Pro Damper Rod Tool, and a Motion Pro Fork Seal Driver.

I know there are some guys that know way more than me about rebuilding forks, so anything I missed? Any instructional youtube vids or write ups on the KYB 43mm? This will be my first fork rebuild.
Based upon the parts diagram, these appear to be cartridge forks. I like the following two videos produced by Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

I imagine Race Tech provides instructions for installing the Gold Valves.

Spud
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #2264
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339

Took this photo of our new CRF while breaking it in out on the back roads near Raglan, New Zealand....great fun. I'm heading back up this way this weekend to see if it still has the stalling issue. Forecast is going to be perfect sun (again)

I've almost got the photo upload technique sorted, just need to figure how to make the photos larger....
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #2265
Unclejimmy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Not a video, but lays it down pretty well:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Copy this into Google for more threads:

site:advrider.com,how to change a tire
Thanks for the link on changing a tire,,,,and thanks for the pics and good information on this thread.....LRP RULE.....uncle jimmy
Unclejimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote