Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
dooder OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Kawasaki F7 Project

Hi,
I'm new here. I found this site by searching on google for info about my bike. Thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum, I've learned a lot already reading through the different threads. I know very little about motorcycles and the wealth of knowledge here is a blessing. You all have a great community here!... I believe what I have is a Kawasaki F7 175cc enduro. I'm not sure about the year. I thought it was a '75 due to the green paint that can be seen where the current paint is chipped but, on the neck, it says it was manufactured in '74... I've been asking questions on other people's threads for a few weeks but figured I should start a thread to chronicle my progress with this bike. I bought it at a garage sale a while back with no paperwork. The guy selling it said that his buddy had given it to him a few years ago and, at first, he was going to go through it but lost interest and it's sat ever since. He said that he saw it run and drive before he got it... First thing on the list is to obtain a title. I found this thread on another site: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=327285 and I am following the course laid out to try to obtain a title. I don't want to put much money into the bike until I get the title. So far I'm into it for about $70 which inclueds a Clymer's manual...
Anyway, sorry for the long introduction, here's some pics:

In the last pic, you can see the green paint that led me to believe it was a '75. According to this: http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_F7 , green was only offered in '75. But, the neck says "manufactured in 1974". Could it have been built in '74 as a '75 model?
Thanks for looking.
dooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder View Post
But, the neck says "manufactured in 1974". Could it have been built in '74 as a '75 model?
Thanks for looking.

That's typical with Kawasaki's. They would put the build date and not the model year date in the stamp so you often (even typically) see a previous tear.

Great starting point for a project. Keep em coming!
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
I agree...work on getting a title (however you might do that) before you spend time and money on it. The way I see it, the last person who titled the bike still technically owns it.

I wonder why they cut the "loop" off of the rear of the frame?

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,309
with those pinch bolts on the back i would say the rear loop is removeable
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
The rear loop was cut off, what you are seeing are the mounting points for the turn signals and rear rack.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
dooder OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys. Here's another shot of the rear:
I wonder why it was cut off?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
dooder OP
Adventurer

6 months later...
I am finally finding regular time to work on the bike...
I talked to a friend of mine and he talked me through hotwiring it since I don't have a key.
Before I try to kick it over though, I thought it best to go through the oiling system.
I also need to make sense of the wiring since this bike requires a battery I believe???
Anyway, I got 15 minutes today and took that time to remove the seat, kick lever, and oil tank.
Hopefully more to come...

These screws are going to give me trouble. I want to remove the cover there so that I can replace the hose that runs from the oil tank in to the crankcase. It's pretty hard and cracked.... I hammered a screwdriver into them to try to get some bite but, no dice. I plan to soak them in liquid wrench before trying again.

And, here is what the majority of the wiring looks like... Looks like someone was taking it all apart then lost interest... Lucky me! I dislike wiring as it is. Oh well, hopefully the Clymer will come in handy here.

Suggestions and criticism welcome. I know next to nothing about working on bikes.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,492
Go get a hammer driven impact driver to extract those screws. even in the 70s/80s those screws were kinda fresh and a PITA!

Go easy and be sure it is turning the right direction, maybe practice on a few non essential screws first. Great tool. Harbor Freight probably has them under $20.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
cgk64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
F-7

Hello I picked up my 71 F-7 from the original owner had a new intake boot installed and the carb rebuilt. This bike is reliably, It will start 1st or 2nd kick no matter what. Has alot of zip for a small bike. I thought about selling it, but think I might just keep it. Needs new tires and the clutch slips but other than that It needs nothing. Once I figure out how to post up pictures I will. Good luck on yours.
cgk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
dooder OP
Adventurer

Cool!
I'd be stoked to see 'em!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165

Here's my '74. Preston Petty fenders,21" front wheel, new shocks, otherwise stock. When you start it mix some oil in the
gas. The manual will show you where the oil feed line is.
You can disconnect the line after the pump and see if it works.
I think it will run without a battery.
Depending on where you are, I have a spare frame and motor, etc
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
dooder OP
Adventurer

Got some time to work on the bike today...
Got those tough screws out... Liquid wrench, big screwdriver, and a hammer. Put the screwdriver in, hit the handle a few good times with the hammer, and they came out.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
dooder OP
Adventurer

It actually didn't look that bad in there... I bought some carb cleaner to clean it out though...

I also got the side cover off that reveals the carburetor.

Everything in there looks really good... When I twist the throttle, both the cable going to the carb and the oil pump seem to do what they are supposed to.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
dooder OP
Adventurer

I also got the tank off.
This looks pretty janky to me...

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
dooder OP
Adventurer

These are the wires that come out of the bottom of where the ignition key goes:

The Clymer manual that I have doesn't have a wiring diagram for my bike. But, the diagram labled 125cc 1976 shows the same colored wires coming out of the ignition.

Eventually, I'd like to check to see if I'm getting spark, if the coil is good, etc. but I'm not really sure how to do all that. First things first, I need to get new fuel lines, check the fluids, and probably get a battery... I have an appointment at the DMV to try to get a title next thursday.