Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #15331
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Cyrils blog:

On today’s stage at the refuelling my team-mate Ruben (Faria) arrived and signalled to me that he had a problem with his wheel. Before I started the second part of the special stage I had about 20 seconds to dig out my spoke key from my kit and throw it over to Ruben. Then I started to race and I thought to myself – “I hope I don’t need that key later or I’ll be in trouble”.

The Dakar is a race that you must respect until the very finish but it was satisfying to be able to exert some control on today’s stage. Today we were the bosses because we decided something and it worked.
Well then who, no what is he. - The Alien Master, Alien King, King of the Aliens or just CDP - I for one really hope he makes it home in that no. 1 spot.

His mastery of Rally can't be threatened
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #15332
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Heard via SMS from Dave that he may have a blown head gasket in the dunes.

Potentially fixable. If he's out of water, the Dakar sweep truck will provide that...

Damn does Luis go the long way around the Dakar!

And thanks Ned for helping me get ahold of them. His wife and I have been going out of our mind. Still are. Come on Luis!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #15333
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Mind of champion with skills to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Cyrils blog:

On today’s stage at the refuelling my team-mate Ruben (Faria) arrived and signalled to me that he had a problem with his wheel. Before I started the second part of the special stage I had about 20 seconds to dig out my spoke key from my kit and throw it over to Ruben. Then I started to race and I thought to myself – “I hope I don’t need that key later or I’ll be in trouble”.

I was taking care of my engine and conserving some energy on the stage because I knew towards the end there would be lots of navigation in the dunes. So the chance came for me to help out Ruben and pay something back for all he has done for me as a team-mate. For Ruben to be more sure of his second place in the overall timings I knew it would be helpful it I took things nice and easy at the front of the race.

Ruben was chasing Chaleco (Lopez) who was riding on my rear wheel so I thought I would take down my speed and let him pass. So Chaleco, Goncalves and Barreda all came past me and then it was up to them to navigate. I had a front row seat to watch them struggling to find the route in the dunes and all the while I knew Ruben must be making up time.

The Dakar is a race that you must respect until the very finish but it was satisfying to be able to exert some control on today’s stage. Today we were the bosses because we decided something and it worked.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #15334
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Ned paying it forward

Quote:
I'm gobsmacked at how great the call ins are from this side, so helpful to be able to get a feeling from tone that is far beyond the words spoken. Thanks, Nate.
Glad Ned get's to be on the receiving end and experience what he so unselfishly shared with us all last year. And 1000 thanks to Nate RR and Pyn !!!

( Donations on the way).
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #15335
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Paraphrased from the Lyndon chat:
"What's better, finish in the top 10 or overcoming a problem like this?"
"Oh overcoming this problem for sure".
Fantastic interview.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #15336
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Some of the TV France footage showed the sweeper trucks (and some civillian vehicles) engaged in recovery missions at several different crossings... at that point I think the "outside assistance rules" go out the "force majeur" window and it's recue by any and all means possible that becomes the rule of thumb.

memorable images of a unique day on the Dakar
Never actually seen a flash flood in the dunes/sand, it just consumes cars and bikes like a giant alien
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #15337
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I think most here wish to be in that shape if we make to that age.

Way to set a great example to the youth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_911 View Post
Gonna share with you guys a photo taken on a sunday morning ride back here in Portugal.
This is Florival Faria, Ruben´s oldman!
And as you can see, with 66 years old, he is allways "Ready to race!"

Great guy!

Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #15338
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Honda's return thwarted (in spanish)

Portugal's Helder Rodrigues wanted to be more than the companion Despres and Coma on the podium, as he had done the last two years. He won the World Rally Championship in 2011 and wanted to gain prominence in the Dakar in this edition. Not surprisingly, came riding a Honda, a CRF 450 Rally, developed especially for the return of the official Japanese team. But its reappearance in Dakar, 24 years later, has been more of a disaster. Rodrigues began to climb down the second day, the first of open desert. When rolling with the fourth fastest time, started having problems with gasoline and was forced to slow down to avoid running out of fuel before the end of the special. "I lost a lot of time," he recalls. He yielded to the winner ten minutes, Barreda. And he stayed with the 15th best time, not much. The worst thing is that faults have occurred since. Just a day after that the Portuguese, 33, returned to have problems with the fuel pump. On arrival in Nazca, had given another 25 minutes over Francisco Lopez, the best of the day. "In just two days the Dakar is more complicated than in recent years," conceded heartbroken.

"Then, little by little, I was recovering. And when I was skimming the podium I again had a breakdown and I lost everything, "he says. It was two days ago when a cable broke, the bike stopped and he lost 48 minutes to fix it: "The plan was to attack and I was doing. I was flying, had committed no error in navigation, was quick in rocky areas and in the dunes, "he recalled. But, again, something went wrong. Is disappointed. He aspired to much more and hoped that six months would be sufficient for a powerful factory as Honda. But that has not happened.

"It's all new. And this bike is very young. We need more time to develop the bike. In half a year we could not do it, we don't compete in the Dakar for a long time and we lack experience. Our first victory was to be at the start, in Lima, "said Katsumi Yamazaki, project leader for Honda Dakar, which was already the head of command when the factory winged competed from 1981 to 1989. In the 80's Honda won four titles. To return to winning they need more time, at least. "The Dakar is special. The tests can not play stages of 800 kilometers or about 600 special. We have gathered a lot of information and become stronger, "he adds. "We wanted to get on the podium, but it became impossible," says team manager, Henk Hellegers, frustrated, that does not hide the expectations that the project raised. What needs to improve? "Everything," says the Japanese. "You have to work on the durability of the bike", he assumes, aware of the significance that is if one is to be competitive in the Dakar. "You have to work hard. And in everything, "adds Rodrigues laconic.

8340SU screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:55 PM
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #15339
Tomaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Heard via SMS from Dave that he may have a blown head gasket in the dunes.

Potentially fixable. If he's out of water, the Dakar sweep truck will provide that...

Damn does Luis go the long way around the Dakar!

Thanks Ned,
Luis is showing an incredible effort, courage and resistance !
At the end of stage 10, Luis had spent in stages (excluding connections) about 74 hours.
Cyril, for example had spend only 31 hours.
Taking in consideration the different horse power, it's a hell of an achievement !!
Tomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #15340
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316

from here
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #15341
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

I know exactly how those guys felt. A blackhawk helicopter rolled to within a foot of blade strike on lift off a couple of weeks ago at work. Part of you wants to run like hell. The other part of you knows that you're already completely f*cked, and it's going to be one hell of a spectacular show, so you'd might as well enjoy the front row seat!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #15342
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz View Post
Thanks Ned,
Luis is showing an incredible effort, courage and resistance !
At the end of stage 10, Luis had spent in stages (excluding connections) about 74 hours.
Cyril, for example had spend only 31 hours.
Taking in consideration the different horse power, it's a hell of an achievement !!
So true!!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #15343
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Ok, so my crapoy computer won't play the Pyndon call, can someone give me the scoop?
pretty please
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #15344
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Ok, so my crapoy computer won't play the Pyndon call, can someone give me the scoop?
The DNF ghost knocked at his door, and Pyn pulled out his shotgun and shot it between the eyes!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #15345
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
webventure.com.br stage 11/12

webventure.com.br has posted more photos, appearing to be from stage 11? maybe 12? i'm not sure... they have incredibly inconsistent posting schedules. anyways, i've cross-posted everything to the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

#168 - LYNDON POSKITT (GBR)

#51 - SIMON PAVEY (AUS)

#49 - PABLO RODRÍGUEZ (ARG)

#41 - FELIPE PROHENS (CHL)

#302 - STÉPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA)

tldr; cross-posted to the Dakar 2013 Media thread.