Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #467
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Really, yes really.
I'm pretty sure there hasn't been 18 cars drop out at this point, and sure that more won't drop out before it's over. And maybe some of them have even lost over 3 hours in a stage
REALLY????

It's a RACE, and if I remember right ( that's subject to error for sure) Robbie drove right around deVillers yesterday, then the favor was repaid, that happens in a LOT of races. Problem is the race was "neutered" before that happened.

SPH is ahead and breathing easier now because Nasser dropped out. Really????
You actually think all of the top Minis will all DNF in 2 days as well as the de Villers' Yota and the rest of the 13 cars in front??? Really???

Nasser making it as far as he did was a total fluke, he and Carlos both amazed everyone in the off-road industry that they got as far as they did. Most of the money was on them being gone by day 3.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #468
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Nasser making it as far as he did was a total fluke, he and Carlos both amazed everyone in the off-road industry that they got as far as they did. Most of the money was on them being gone by day 3.
Not saying you are wrong, but where are you getting this info?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #469
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,170
they never really did say what killed Nassar's buggy. water pump?.... water pumps on chevys ain't exactly rocket science.... you could probably change one on that car in minutes....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #470
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
You actually think all of the top Minis will all DNF in 2 days as well as the de Villers' Yota and the rest of the 13 cars in front??? Really???

The likelihood of more than just a few of the top 20 that have made it this far dropping out or loosing many hours is very slim. We all understand that. Robbie understands that better than we do, with that in mind replay his comments about those ahead of him having problems. He said when he flipped over his chances of placing high were gone. Everybody understands that. So does he roll over and play dead or keep charging? You think he should hang his head in shame and wave everyone by that is higher than him in the overall? That ain't happening.

Nasser making it as far as he did was not a fluke, like him or not, the guys good, he built (had built) a good buggy.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #471
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
TOTALLY!
So why is it "Demon" can't put something together for races up this way that works so well and hold up? I haven't been looking at RDC but I can imagine there's similar sentiment there.
Include me in the "amazed" group.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #472
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,217
Tougher Rally every year...

The one constant of the ASO (Dakar Rally Organizers) is they make each race tougher then the last. This race will go down as the most challenging in logistics. And for that reason... and as I've said before... anything will happen. Robbie knows if he continues to increase the pace, he can attempt to expose other drivers weaknesses. This was evident with the lack of pit crew for the Qatar team. One bad roll over or bad transmission could strand a top driver and neutralize them, including - Peterhansel.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 06:33 PM
DesertSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #473
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
The likelihood of more than just a few of the top 20 that have made it this far dropping out or loosing many hours is very slim. We all understand that. Robbie understands that better than we do, with that in mind replay his comments about those ahead of him having problems. He said when he flipped over his chances of placing high were gone. Everybody understands that. So does he roll over and play dead or keep charging? You think he should hang his head in shame and wave everyone by that is higher than him in the overall? That ain't happening.

Nasser making it as far as he did was not a fluke, like him or not, the guys good, he built (had built) a good buggy.
I never said he should hang his head in shame or wave anyone by. I've simply pointed out what seems to escape many of his fanatic followers.

Nasser getting as far as he did was a total Fluke. Damon Jefferies building those cars at the last second with zero testing and development time and expecting them to perform was a joke. Jefferies had never built a car for the Dakar before, 90% of what they build are toys for playing in the dunes. The engine builder Jefferies used is a shop that specializes in dyno tuning and all of their true builds have a history of being unreliable, not endurance motors. The last 3 race cars Jefferies built caught fire and burnt to the ground.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #474
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
what happened in the final WP today for robby ? last i checked he was 4 min ahead then he losses 4 minutes to the minis in the end ? i smell a rat !
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #475
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
The last 3 race cars Jefferies built caught fire and burnt to the ground.

The last two Dakar buggies Jefferies built did pretty good, one made several days (don't remember exactly), the other made it 11 (?) days running near the front.

I'm a casual observer of Dakar, the name Jefferies means nothing to me. But I have been following motorsports for many years and what I've noticed is that serious enthusiasts are often surprised at how well some do that don't show up with what is considered proper equipment.

So don't take me or Robbie too seriously, we're just having fun at the moment and next week will be off to something else. Me more so than Robbie.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #476
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
The last two Dakar buggies Jefferies built did pretty good, one made several days (don't remember exactly), the other made it 11 (?) days running near the front.

I'm a casual observer of Dakar, the name Jefferies means nothing to me. But I have been following motorsports for many years and what I've noticed is that serious enthusiasts are often surprised at how well some do that don't show up with what is considered proper equipment.

So don't take me or Robbie too seriously, we're just having fun at the moment and next week will be off to something else. Me more so than Robbie.

Robbie Jajajajajajajaja!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #477
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,849
Question Throw a grenade in the SPEED party...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
45 minutes to start, do yourself a favour and listen to this:

Mark Miller interviewed on Robbie Gordon and his new book about Dakar, DASH

Really cool info on his co-drivers, his teammates from the VW years and Rubbie.

At the end, he has a little surprise announcement, I won't spoil it for you though
Quote:
Robbie Jajajajajajajaja!
If I didn't know better, I'd think you were at the interview StrongBad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #478
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd think you were at the interview StrongBad...
Yeah, too many years on Mark's team I suppose. I know that Dirk & Mark have been tight they both raced the Atlas Rally together on team KTM, but I thought he was a bit harsh on Ralph.

Just a heads up for the leg humppers; Rubby Gordon HATES it when people spell it Robbie. If you had been listening you would have heard Mark praise a large number of Dakar winners. I doubt your hero would ever say anything like that. As Kellon said in his interview; "Nobody loves Robby more than Robby....."
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #479
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Listened to that Miller interview, what a blow hard. Name dropping water carrier.

It's all about perspectives... and who's corner you are holding the towel and spit bottle for... isn't it?

I expect a guy that wants to win to think he's the best in the field, if you don't you're just another wannabe..."Just want to finish." I think that might be one of the key points where VW management might look at things differently than yourself and the RG faithful.

Nasser said in this years rally that he is a better driver than Robby, he wasn't even behind the wheel when his car got towed in for the final time. Aha, I see the problem, your using Nasser as your yardstick...?

Doesn't Robby have more stage wins than Miller ever thought about having?
Possibly...? I'm not sure... at a quick guesstimate I would think that Mark has more top 5 stage placings than Robby... the stats will show what approach gives the best results/podiums of the two...?

So to round off/bow out, maybe I will just put up the notion that there are two schools of thought or approaches in the (global) world of offroad racing... the traditional euro "Dakar" cross country rally school of thought... and the old school USofA "SCORE/Baja" offroad racing school of thought...

The former is full of politics, tactics, semantics intrigue and carefully laid strategies... the latter is full of high tech "go hard or go home" foot to the firewall racing (which I love as well... don't get me wrong). Both have pro's both have con's, both have their place in the world.

Miller seems to have understood an embraced the "euro" train of thought and meets them at their own game... Robby seems hell bent on taking the US approach and meeting them head on with it.

How successful each has been with their respective Dakar careers is for them (and perhaps their respective fans) to decide for themselves...

I'll just leave you with this... there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #480
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Possibly...? I'm not sure... at a quick guesstimate I would think that Mark has more top 5 stage placings than Robby... the stats will show what approach gives the best results/podiums of the two...?

So to round off/bow out, maybe I will just put up the notion that there are two schools of thought or approaches in the (global) world of offroad racing... the traditional euro "Dakar" cross country rally school of thought... and the old school USofA "SCORE/Baja" offroad racing school of thought...

The former is full of politics, tactics, semantics intrigue and carefully laid strategies... the latter is full of high tech "go hard or go home" foot to the firewall racing (which I love as well... don't get me wrong). Both have pro's both have con's, both have their place in the world.

Miller seems to have understood an embraced the "euro" train of thought and meets them at their own game... Robby seems hell bent on taking the US approach and meeting them head on with it.

How successful each has been with their respective Dakar careers is for them (and perhaps their respective fans) to decide for themselves...

I'll just leave you with this... there is more than one way to skin a cat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have to admit I totally lean towards the traditional as I started trying to follow back when Danny LaPorte was racing it. I say trying to follow as it was pretty much reading what happened several days after the fact.

In another couple of days it looks like we will be able to say: Robby Gordon tried for years to win the Dakar and was never able to do it.