User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Carburettored bike through the Alps?

Anyone had experience riding a carb'd sports bike from sea level to high altitude like the Alps? I was contemplating a bike which is carby fed but, someone's just told me I will need to change jetting / carb settings when I get to high altitude or the bike will run like crap, have no power, stall, foul plugs, be a pig, etc.

Is this true?

The bike in question I'm thinking of taking is a 2000 R1. The last thing I want to be doing is buggerising around cluelessly with not just 1 or 2, but *4* carbs, and then finding out it runs like crap when I get back to London.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
rasmukri
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my bike has a carburetor and i have no problem going from sea level to high altitude. i have ridden at 9,000ft and sea level and everywhere in between and never had a problem with my carburetor acting up once i had it dyno jetted at about 3,000ft and i haven't changed a jet since.. i have a 2001 harley dyna and it has the 44mm CV carb and i have heard that the vacuum slide in it helps alleviate the problems that one may encounter at high elevation.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Have never problem when riding at alps with motorcycles. Maybe the fuelconsumtion is higher?(more throttle)

It doesn¨t have to be a carburator. I´ve heard that goldwing 1800 with fuelinjection dont like the hights. My moped, Vision 50 cc with fuelinjection protest already at 1000 metres and at Grossglockner and Stelvio I have few times to get of and push.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
thanks guys, most appreciated. I live in Australia, and we really don't have very high mountains. Well, not compared to the Alps anyway. I just wanted to check and make sure.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Just by way of confirming the experience of others.... I had an early '80s Honda CB 250 RS for several years when I was working in England in the mid '90s. It had a carburettor, as did most bikes back then.

I used it to travel over much of the British Isles, and had a couple of trips through Central Europe. I spent quite a bit of time in the Alps.... as you do.

The only maintenance I did was the routine oil changes and such like. I never had a problem with the engine...... and never once touched the carburettor.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
olionel
Enthusiastic Member

Oddometer: 28
I had some problems on my ZXR400 at altitude (not massive issues). It felt underpowered and had to 1st 2nd gear it most of the time (except for the straights). Also I think I kept getting vapour lock so the bike didn't like starting when we stopped here and there.. looking back maybe my carbs weren't balanced properly though.
olionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
'93 GSX1100G with almost 140,000 kms on it here.

A little loss of power at altitude (Stelvio & similar - above 2,500 meters), but not much - and you really don't spend all that much time at altitude. Most (90%+) of your travel will be at 1,000 meters or less.

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote