ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #8251
MotoWV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebrumfi View Post
Hey Scott

Yep,, I am still on earth. Kinda.

I sold the Duke to get something for gravel roads and such.. I bought a KTM Adventure as a replacement. It's a great bike I just don't see me riding single track or difficult trails on it. It's just to big.. I have been thinking about getting another KTM 200 for the trails. Best bike I ever had.

You ever want to go for another ride give me a call..
Congrats on the new bike! Looking forward to seeing it.

We'll definitely get together as soon as the weather cooperates.

The KTM 200 is a fine bike. I've thought about them myself.
MotoWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #8252
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 153
Bought a 2009 200 XC-W new. Best bike I've owned. 250s and 300s have a bit more low end grunt.
IngoldWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #8253
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
How's the 990 doin Ernie? I really like that white one. Stop by, we have a new 200 ready for you.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #8254
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
A 200/250/300 is on the new short list. I spect I'll have one by the beginning of Feb is all goes as planned.
As for the current rigs... Fixed the turn signal and shifter that I broke in my wreck on that youtube video. Should have either the gs or the rc-51 down in chucktown this coming Monday if anyone is up for a ride I'll be around!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #8255
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasnacht View Post
Wow...totally love this idea, and I think I've still got a pair of old neoprene's in a box somewhere...
The hardest part is swinging your leg over. Other than that they are relatively comfortable and keep me warm. I wear them to the lake under the blue jeans if I plan to do some bobber watching all day. I kept the stocking booties created when I cut the feet out to fit in my wading boots for summer romps in the rivers. Win WIn!
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #8256
eebrumfi
eebrumfi

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
How's the 990 doin Ernie? I really like that white one. Stop by, we have a new 200 ready for you.
Almost time for it's first service.. I should be up before to long.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #8257
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
I was told today that all of the roads have been gated up the creek. Anyone been up there lately?
Heard from a couple guys at the shop today. Looks like this is true. There are new gates on some of the common drags, designed to slow down the flood of trucks and side by sides. Talked to shop Doc and he said "no concerns for the single track, but ds may be affected" I guess that obviously depends on the ds'r

I may try to run out there this weekend and see what routes are shut out.

Kinda sucks though, a lot of redneck asses out there, but also it's a great local's place, I hate to see us loose access.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #8258
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,053
It don't matter how nice of a riding area you have there will always be some assholes who will ruin it for you.
I got permission to ride a few hundred acres last year, I am the only one outside of the family who owns it who is allowed on it.

My cousin and I had miles of farm roads to ride when we were teenagers, after we were no longer riding there another group came thru and cut fences, chased livestock and so on.

Now the signs say "No Trespassing, violators will be shot"
I'm not going to be the one to test the threat, there is a lot of places to hide a body there and if my place would have been torn up I'd be pissed too.

I am going to try to get permission to ride that area this year tho. Hopefully it will work out.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #8259
MotoWV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd View Post
Heard from a couple guys at the shop today. Looks like this is true. There are new gates on some of the common drags, designed to slow down the flood of trucks and side by sides. Talked to shop Doc and he said "no concerns for the single track, but ds may be affected" I guess that obviously depends on the ds'r

I may try to run out there this weekend and see what routes are shut out.

Kinda sucks though, a lot of redneck asses out there, but also it's a great local's place, I hate to see us loose access.
The gates do not suprise me at all. There was a guy on the msorrc forum who always advertised riding there. (He may be on this forum). I sent him several PM's saying I thought it was a very bad idea to put that information out there for the entire world to see. (He was a nice guy. I think he thought I was just over-reacting.) I had already seen what it did to my home riding area. Changed it forever with all the out of town/state riders. Gates started going up there as well and more will come.

I really hate to hear about the gates. You Charleston area guys have a few other areas I've ridden. Thank goodness I've never seen them mentioned on the WWW. My advice is to keep it that way if you want to keep those areas.

MotoWV screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 08:16 PM
MotoWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #8260
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWV View Post

I really hate to hear about the gates. You guys have a few other areas I've ridden. Thank goodness I've never seen them mentioned on the WWW. My advice is to keep it that way if you want to keep those areas.
Ya, agreed. I doubt it was really the bike crowd, we even avoid it here by trying to just name it "da creek" and a lot of riders with gopro's don't even put the location on.

I'm reasonably certain it's the truck and sideBY natty light crowd . In the short time I've been riding out there I feel like I've seen it grow more crowded. You can go for miles and miles, some roads are legal county roads, those are the ones I'm interested to find out about. The majority of users though are people that live on the creek, it's definitely a unique community, with MANY people using the improvised system.

I'd be interested in hearing a certain ona...'s opinion, based on his history with the are.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #8261
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
We noticed a lot of the gates going up this summer. I will have to see where the tour guide takes us now.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #8262
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 153
Bummer about the creek (could be a good thing in disguise though). As long as its something like a corporations and not property owners putting up gates, I don't mind going around. Back home, we used to ride the powerline right of way and some WestVaco property. WestVaco put up some gates, but we never had any issues taking bikes back in there. At least Hatfield & McCoy is still growing, I buy a permit every year to support that. I would like to see more areas develop for riding; Yamaha donated some money to construct a trail system near Parkersburg, WV. I see kids riding bikes and quads on roads a lot, which worries me. A kid needs an appropriate place to ride and good riding mentors. It would be nice to see some more single track spring up on those developing trail systems; the single track that Hatfield & McCoys have is actually quite fun. Plan on taking the KLR on some to see what it can handle once I get it together.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #8263
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
i very much miss the south west and all its open range.

bang for the buck h/m is a good deal i will say
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #8264
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
it looks like sunday would make a good up the creek day
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #8265
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
it looks like sunday would make a good up the creek day
Be sure to update us on what you find!!

Looks good enough for me too, I dress in layers. but I'll be out on the Tiger myself, feel like the sun may disappear a while. If anyone wants some road time hit me up

Shakes

WVdyhrd screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 03:28 PM