Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #31
geomeo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thank you... I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
The one I bought came with a set of "road" sprokets and it did 65 mph without too much difficulty. It vibrated like a mofo and the 5 miles of pavement that I did at that speed were enough to tell me, "No more." It was fantastic riding single track though. The narrow range trans meant that there was a gear for about any condition.
geomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #32
geomeo OP
Adventurer

Thank you.. I agree..
Hence will use the TE450 with timbersled for snow and early BMW for road/gravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You don't need two bikes ... just one that is suited for what you think you want to do. Snow riding on ANY bike is pretty much impossible without studded tires or a Sno-track conversion. So forget that. You can maybe go in up to a 6 inches or a foot ... much deeper can get tough.

As mentioned earlier ... something like the DRZ400S is a good compromise. Or ... take my choice: Suzuki DR650, the old tech wonder.

Most posters here talked about the horrendous vibes and short gearing of the Husky ... but for TRAVEL ... there are OTHER considerations.. What about luggage. And comfort?

Go try and put on 200 lbs. (your figure) on any TE Husky or KTM. Or did you mean 200 lbs. ... including rider? Both the DR650 and DRZ can handle a fair load and many aftermarket seats are offered.

The DR650 (with a good seat!) can maintain 80 mph all day long in relative Low Vibe comfort. I've done many 400 mile days, back to back to back. I've cut down on my luggage, now only haul about 65 lbs. on the bike. (clothes, tools, parts, tubes, spare tire, food, water) Add 12 lbs. for camping gear, which I sometimes carry. With a light load it's not bad off road. No Husky ... but I'm not riding Enduros ... I'm traveling ... mostly on paved or dirt roads or easy two track or Desert Pistes. DR is good in all.

Both Suzuki's can handle this sort of duty and typically will go over 50,000 miles trouble free, with very low maintenance. Not Race Bikes!

I've ridden the TE450 in the Mojave Desert. I loved it, but would never try to do long distance on one. A TE450 riding friend rode along with me on a two day Dual Sport event in NorCal ... at day's end he was hammered. Dead exhausted. I went to the bar!

Sure, he was faster in the mud, rocky technical sections of the ride ... but I'd pass him on fast pavement or at gas stops ... I have 230 mile range. He could go about 100 miles.

Bottom Line:
Horses For Courses!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #33
geomeo OP
Adventurer

Thank you Scott.
The TE has a narrow application.
I will use an early BMW for the adv requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalslowpoke View Post
I've got a 2007 510

Echoing almost all of the comments.

I originally purchased it as a light plated bike for dual sport riding. It matches this well...but...every modification I've made has been to tame it to be more like a DRZ400, but with more power.

The gearing: As stated, sucks for actual adv riding. If they only made the 6th gear way tall, it would be fine. Leave the 1st 5 gears narrow, they work great in the dirt. In most cases there are 2 gear options due to the narrow spacing. You could carry a larger front sprocket and change for the particular days riding. I geared it way tall for a week+ long baja trip, worked fine for most of it, but 1st was too high for some of it.

Vibes: No counter balancer. It is more vibey than I would like...but...as I have posted prior...3 things have helped: Vibranators in the bars (tons of help), Progrip 714 grips and...when I had the head/piston off I lowered the compression a tad by having the piston shaved 30 thou (per a Scott Summers article). Not as smooth as a DRZ etc, but now it is tolerable.

Seat, stock one sucks for adv will have to be changed.

So...as a very light duty adv bike...maybe...better if you are trailering and then doing long dirt loops that require a plate.

I've also had overheating (now fixed), suspension, and clutch issues over the years. Maybe the newer ones are better.

Check out the 610's...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #34
geomeo OP
Adventurer

Thank you Jake. Good reminder on the JD kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailPunter View Post
The true beauty of the TE250/450/510 is that they are real live dirt bikes that just happen to have a plate. And they are great at being just that. Every one that has ridden my 250 loves it. Even the guys that bleed Orange. Here in Southern California in the name of crowd control we have dirt roads that are labeled as city streets, country roads, and even a couple of state highways. Look at the OHV maps for any of the local SoCal riding areas. Gorman, Rowler, Big Bear, Anza/Idyllwild, Corral Canyon, McCain Valley, and even Anza Borrego. You will see sections of dirt road that say "Only street legal vehicles allowed" Connecting trails legally has opened up huge numbers of possible rides, and I'm very happy with my 250's ability to do this. Yes, the gearing sucks on the road. However it's really nice to go to a place like Big Bear or Mammoth and be able to explore the whole area without having to truck the bike from trail to trail. Oh, and I get between 50 and 60 mpg with the JD jetting kit.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,496
Just sold a 2006 F650GS and wanted to get a bike for single track that is street
Legal , thought the husky TE450/511 was a possible match but the above comments scare me .

I have a R1200GS For ADV Riding but what does one recommend as a single
Track weapon with some street miles to get to the dirt ?

Tork screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:13 PM
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by tork View Post
just sold a 2006 f650gs and wanted to get a bike for single track that is street
legal , thought the husky te450/511 was a possible match but the above comments scare me .

I have a r1200gs for adv riding but what does one recommend as a single
track weapon with some street miles to get the dirt ?
ktm 450/530 exc.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #37
Tork
Pinsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
ktm 450/530 exc.
KTM Has always confused me , what does the exc designate ?
And what years should I look for ?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #38
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
KTM Has always confused me , what does the exc designate ?
And what years should I look for ?

Dunno what the EXC stands for but it is the designation given to thier plated dirt bikes. Wide ratio six speed and good suspension. I think the 530 came out in '08.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
Tork
Pinsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Dunno what the EXC stands for but it is the designation given to thier plated dirt bikes. Wide ratio six speed and good suspension. I think the 530 came out in '08.
Thanks for the info .
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #40
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Just sold a 2006 F650GS and wanted to get a bike for single track that is street
Legal , thought the husky TE450/511 was a possible match but the above comments scare me .

I have a R1200GS For ADV Riding but what does one recommend as a single
Track weapon with some street miles to get to the dirt ?
Don't get scared off yet...how many street miles? I have an '09 with 7000 miles on it that has a true 50/50 mix of miles on it...in a 60 mile day I have to travel 25-30 miles of pavement. I change the oil every 300-1000 miles (depending on the amount of hard single track I've ridden), and I run an auto clutch with final gearing 1 tooth closer to street gearing. I do not take it on the freeway for more than 1-2 exits (only when I have too), but it's otherwise fine on the road (for a high performance dirt bike with a plate)

Note: the TE450/510 is completely different from the TE449/511
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote