User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #4411
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,036
Puyuhuapi, Chile to Esquel Argentina

Finish the top part of the Caraterra and riding back into Argentina.

Started out out a bit cloudy and misty (typical for this area), but soon was blue skies again. !!

Road conditions vary greatly in the whole region. Some freshly graded bit of road, then hard pack, then loose Marbles ....

Waterfalls.

We had heard from other travelers that there were problems getting fuel in Argentina due to some localized strikes. So we filled up were we could. We stopped at La Junta, Chile and filled our extra tanks !!

Christoph from Germany on his way south.

emailing me his contact info, before riding on!

Had a 13KM stretch where they were working on the road.

Lots of trucks taking up the road.

Local guys cutting timber and dragging them to a common place to cut them up.

Youngest Ollie Getting some more gravel experience. He did really well!

Great ride through the mountains!! Reminds me so much of the PNW.... Love it!

Parts of today were like Jurassic Park.

And we roll on.

We arrived in Futaleutu, and then headed for the Border for Argentina. It was about to get interesting! It is a small border of Rio Grande. Checked out of Chile in 5 minutes then got to the Argentina border just 100meters up the road. Got stamped out + aduana and then they asked for my Passport back....... "problema"

New Law in Argentina started just two days before, I did not know about it . I had to pay a Reciprical tax of $160 which is good for 10 years. But I needed to do it online and could not do it at the border Yikes. Litlle bit of frustration since I was already out of Chile legally.... and was not sure about the whole online process. But they turned me back from the border. So I went back to the Chile side and explained (in my own spanish) that I need to go back to town and get on internet to pay the New Fee.

They were great and just held my Title copy until I returned. Found an Cafe with WIFI and they even had a printer

Found the payment page. The real trick was to know to click the sign in text just below the log in ....

Was able to pay with my visa, then print out the page for the Border Immigration

Finally into Argentina

We stopped at the hotel Sur Sur in Esquel to drop off the fuel pump for Sherri Jo. At least she can now stay in Argentina instead of having to get across to Chile to pick up the pump.

We went to dinner at a great place about 5 blocks away. While waiting for dinner ..... The local magician shows up to entertain us.

Of course he wanted a tip....... Out of our Wallets and into his

Great pasta but we were not sure that we wanted to try the Spinach and Cow brain Pasta

After dinner they had alots of puzzles to try out, with the hopes of winning dinner.... We started in.

Got a few figured out. but still ended up paying our own bill.

Very cool day of riding except the wasted time sorting out the new fee for me at the border.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:33 AM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #4412
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Esquel, Argentina to Bariloche!

As I rode into Esquel, sure enough there were large gas lines ..... and they stayed all night long

So we decided to set the alarm for 5:30 am.... And we had just 15 minute wait

Saying goodbye to the Owner Hugo and His darling wife Maria. Hotel Sur Sur is a great place for a nice hotel. Hugo has his BMW in the lobby :) They have ridden in many places in the world!

Then we are off to the national parque Los Alerces (we were going to camp there as it is beautiful but I got waylaid

Past some Guacho's herding cattle

It is a beautiful park with lakes and mountains. Lots of really nice camping spots but we are riding to Bariloche.

Great gravel road through about half the park.

Then north through El Bolson area

Youngest Ollie is still with me

We arrive to Bariloche and it is a busy place this time of year. Sunny 80 degrees F Stopped at a few hostels and final found one with opening.

The little beach was crowded!

First night we met up with Drew and Luuk and Inge from Holland, and had a great meal . Photos with the owner and the chef!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:42 AM
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #4413
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Pictures-N- Trip

Wow Mark what a time you are having, on a ride of a life time! Thanks once again for the time you spend sharing with us, just wanted you to know it is appreciated a bunch.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #4414
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
Wow Mark what a time you are having, on a ride of a life time! Thanks once again for the time you spend sharing with us, just wanted you to know it is appreciated a bunch.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #4415
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
If you stay at a Tango Inn in Bariloche, be careful which one you pick. One has a jacuzzi and the other has moto parking. You must choose. Choose wisely
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #4416
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 849
Enjoying the report as always Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
... He lives in West Linn, Oregon and is on ADV, and is the part owner in La Provence restaurant which is 5 minutes from my house! I helped him years ago with an HID mod on his GS, and here we are in Chile.... Small world indeed!! His son tells me... he had been following my ride for 8 months Crazy small world!
When we were dating and living in PDX, my wife and I used to meet for breakfast at La Provence. Small world indeed....
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #4417
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Bariloche time to take a break for a few days

In Bariloche we stopped for a few days to relax, and Ollie needed to change a rear tire, which we found at a local moto shop J&J that sells bicycles and Motos.

Youngest Ollie, changing the tire with just a bit of help. Had an issue getting the bead to actually seat properly so he did take it to a tire shop where they had higher air pressure and better tire lube to get it to seat!

While in town getting his tire done he spotted George from Switzerland whom he road with further south. So he came and stayed at the same hostel (Mantra).

That night we went back to the same Steak house and Youngest Ollie had to try Blood Sausage because he has a list of foods to eat that will add to the charity ..... He was not sure while cutting in.

But did enjoy it in the end!

On our way out..... He had to check out the grilling meats of Argentina!

The last night in Bariloche we moved to the Penhouse 1004 Hostel which is located on the 10th floor (the top) and has a great vibe and amazing views. We were not able to book ahead so they only had one night available, and we took it.

Entrance is way down the hallway!

Really worth a stay while in Bariloche. Parked the bike in the Garage down below, which cost 80 Peso per night....

location S41 08.025 W71 18.704

But the view. and Cecilia and Anne are amazing hosts!! Say hello for me

We enjoyed the evening at the hostel with the great views. George came over for the evening to hang out.

Great Sunset

As the sun sets we enjoy meeting some lovely girls from Switzerland.

George, Ollie, Drew and I had dinner (Ollie cooked some Pasta ) Then we found out that it was Fabians Birthday starting at Midnight!

So we helped get a little cake and Champagne to Celebrate at Midnight!!

Fabian and Francis Happy Birthday to Fabian!!

It was a very fun evening into the early hours of the morning!

While back in Bariloche, it felt like I was home. I stopped at the camping store owned by Santiago and His beautiful wife Maria, and she sees me and say "Hola Radioman" :lol That are great people. He is riding his bike to Ushuaia in March and she is planning to buy a little 250 to ride about town. It will have a Radiomanridestheworld sticker on it

If you are in town stop by. It is Garmount Outdoorgear. The corner of Morales and Av Belgrano!!

What a great place to enjoy for a few days!

Radioman screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:42 PM
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #4418
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Looks like a really nice spot from the pictures. Tell Ollie he can find all the great sausages in Venezuela, first time I ever had blood sausages and it was excellent. Many others I still can't remember the names of.

Thanks for keeping up with the excellent report and photos, looking forward to getting down in the far South one of these days.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #4419
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Looks like a really nice spot from the pictures. Tell Ollie he can find all the great sausages in Venezuela, first time I ever had blood sausages and it was excellent. Many others I still can't remember the names of.

Thanks for keeping up with the excellent report and photos, looking forward to getting down in the far South one of these days.
John It is awesome! But the prices in Chile and Argentina are much higher than in the north

Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #4420
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Argentina: Buy pesos outside the country; Beware the "reciprocity fee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
John It is awesome! But the prices in Chile and Argentina are much higher than in the north
I'll second that. And a BIG tip to those who don't know: for Argentine pesos, buy them OUTSIDE the country. Inside, casas de cambio and ATMs will give around 4.6/$, but outside the country you can get 5.5 to 7. I saw 5.5 in San Sebastián, 6 in Santiago, and 7 in Villazon, Bol. I saw as much as 6.4 from a black market person in Bariloche, but usually I cannot find these people.

Aaaaaaaand entering Argentina now incurs a "reciprocity fee" of USD$160 for citizens of USA, Australia, and Canada. It's much like the $135 visa charge in Bolivia. This went into effect in early January. Imagine our surprise when, after entering Argentina twice in the last few weeks, we entered a third time on the way to Ushuaia, only to get asked for a "tasa" at the migracion in San Sebastian. Luckily the officials were really, really nice and let us use their computers, internet, and printer to pay the tasa and print the proof, since you need that when you enter and there are no kiosks at migracion to enable you to do this.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #4421
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 152
Radioman Network

As Radioman teaches Youngest Ollie the rhythm of adventure riding, a mov'n groov'n track is required to tune him in, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #4422
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
Ollie is fortunate to have crossed paths with you, Mark. He'll learn a lot from even a day or two riding with you. Got to give the kid credit for heading out on his own on an adventure like this.
It is always a two way street. I had a great time riding with Youngest Ollie. As I have said many times the people I have met along this journey have been the best part!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #4423
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,549

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #4424
MRED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Mark;
I built a seat for Alain, part owner in La Provence restaurant last summer and he was talking about riding with his son.
Sure is a small world. Best wishes for you and your ride.

Deb & Don
Rev'It! Dealer since 2003
http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm
MRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #4425
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRED View Post
Mark;
I built a seat for Alain, part owner in La Provence restaurant last summer and he was talking about riding with his son.
Sure is a small world. Best wishes for you and your ride.

Deb & Don