Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #151
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Just came back from a great ride Colorado.. Swapped GS and SuperTen back and forth. The ABS on the SuperTen was flawless on dirt roads, no scary free wheeling and no need to disable it... I actually preferred the SuperTen regardless of price. I felt the Yamaha had more low end torque, smoother engine, much smoother transmission, excellent suspension, and I preferred the "character" of the SuperTenere's engine to that of the boxer engine. It's not your run of the mill parallel twin, the 270 degree crank pin gives it a very punchy output.
From the few times I had the oportunity to ride a GS, these are also my thoughts
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #152
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
went back to GSA

Old thread, and I posted a few times in the first few pages about change and done with the BMW cool aid and blah blah blah, and now I need to eat a spoon full of Sh++. I sold my Tenere after 11months and 22,000 miles. Great bike and I liked the valve adj and low maint. I tried to love it, I tried to tell myself it feels and rides just as well as a gsa, But I went back to a 04 1150 GSA because it doesn't. I have now owned 16 GSs from 96 to a 2010 GSA. Nothing feels and rides like a Gs. I went with the 04 because I think the 02 to 06 1150 GSA are the most reliable and easy to work on. If this Gs falls apart not sure how I will deal with it. Could turn into a Moto guzzi Stelvio. I have only put 100 miles on it because of bad weather this week but it feels perfect. Bike has 18k on it, and always been maint by BMW dealer on time, so this bike has no excuse to break down. We will see. That is the one thing the Tenere has going for it, if you service it half the time required and beat the hell out of it for 100k it still would not break down I am sure. Last chance BMW and this time I mean it.

KraigD screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 06:04 AM
KraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #153
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,746
Can't imagine

Going to a GSA. Had an 08 GS1200 for 4 years. Nice bike. Tried an 08 and a 2010 GSA and was very diappointed. Banana boat city. Sluggish comes to mind compared to the standard GS and also to my S10 with clutch switch mod. The S10 was better in every way if you're half ass aggresive. Going to an older, slower GSA just doesn't compute. The S10 is the king of grunt with better off road manners and just as comfortable on road with a windshield swap. Then there is the superior ABS and TC. And not worth mentioning- Reliability! IMHO.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #154
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

I am sure the S10 feels faster but it is not, 0 to 100 they wil be very close, And who cares with a bike like this. BMW is way more comfortable for me and thats what matters, I like having the bigger tank, Traction controll nice but not needed, ABS brakes on GSA are perfect in everyway, and the one thing the 1150 needs is Ohlins front and rear and I have that. As I said the BMW is more likely to have an issue, but that is something one has to deal with, I cant fight the feeling of the GSA under my ass. It is just perfect. PS anytime you are in Tn and want to ride the dragon hwy 129 I will show the way for the first few corners and then you will need to find your own way. I should be done with lunch when you get to the top. If I dont have a problem. Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Going to a GSA. Had an 08 GS1200 for 4 years. Nice bike. Tried an 08 and a 2010 GSA and was very diappointed. Banana boat city. Sluggish comes to mind compared to the standard GS and also to my S10 with clutch switch mod. The S10 was better in every way if you're half ass aggresive. Going to an older, slower GSA just doesn't compute. The S10 is the king of grunt with better off road manners and just as comfortable on road with a windshield swap. Then there is the superior ABS and TC. And not worth mentioning- Reliability! IMHO.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #155
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraigD View Post
I went with the 04 because I think the 02 to 06 1150 GSA are the most reliable and easy to work on..
Really? On the 1150, the clutch output splines (female) and the transmission input splined shaft (male) did not connect all the way through. The input shaft was a tad short, and over time, this wears out the splines and you loose the connection to the tranny. This is a known issue which left a friend of mine stranded - at 40,000 km - 3 states away from home. Even though the bike was out of warranty, bmw eventually offered to pay for the parts and my buddy paid for the labor for this design flaw. Someone on this site was selling, in the Vendors forum, a replacement input shaft that was longer and mated all the way through into the clutch output shaft

Here's one old thread among many on this issue:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27068

In another 10,000 miles you might want to split the bike in half to have a look and to lubricate the clutch output splines.

The final drive on the other hand is a known issue.. the crown bearing tends to go prematurely. Park the bike on the center stand and hold the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and rock it side to side to see if there's any play.. Sadly, it's all part of the "character" of the 1150GS. I wish you the best of luck with your GS.. whatever floats your boat.. when it breaks, fix it and carry on!! Not every bike is for everyone.. choice is great and we're getting more choices for ADV bikes!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #156
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

I am snowed in, never happens in knoxville Tn, 2 inches and the town shuts down so I have time for this. I know the bike has a few issues reported and I have had a few problems in the past. On the other hand I know many many people who have logged thousands of trouble free miles on these bikes. I have gone 250,000 on BMWs alone, I have only been stuck on the side of the road one time. FD came apart on my 02 1150 Gs. I was not happy. The Gs is the number one selling ADV bike in the world for a reason. It is a great bike, most of the time.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #157
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,746
Closest

I'll get to the Dragon is Moab in April, so come on down and we'll have some giggles. 13-19th Canyonlands Campground.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #158
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

I would love to go that way, but I cant this year wife and I need to Poland in June. Have a safe trip post some pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
I'll get to the Dragon is Moab in April, so come on down and we'll have some giggles. 13-19th Canyonlands Campground.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #159
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Really? On the 1150, the clutch output splines (female) and the transmission input splined shaft (male) did not connect all the way through. The input shaft was a tad short, and over time, this wears out the splines and you loose the connection to the tranny. This is a known issue which left a friend of mine stranded - at 40,000 km - 3 states away from home. Even though the bike was out of warranty, bmw eventually offered to pay for the parts and my buddy paid for the labor for this design flaw. Someone on this site was selling, in the Vendors forum, a replacement input shaft that was longer and mated all the way through into the clutch output shaft

In another 10,000 miles you might want to split the bike in half to have a look and to lubricate the clutch output splines.

The final drive on the other hand is a known issue.. the crown bearing tends to go prematurely. Park the bike on the center stand and hold the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and rock it side to side to see if there's any play.. Sadly, it's all part of the "character" of the 1150GS. I wish you the best of luck with your GS.. whatever floats your boat.. when it breaks, fix it and carry on!! Not every bike is for everyone.. choice is great and we're getting more choices for ADV bikes!
My 1150Gs has 85000 miles with none of the above noted issues. My S10 only has 7000 miles. Still not sure which one I like best. The lean fueling and noisy transmission on my S10 keep me from liking it a lot
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #160
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you, I was looking for a little help. I rode 125 miles today in snow and wet roads. When I go back to the GS line I remember why i love it. Solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
My 1150Gs has 85000 miles with none of the above noted issues. My S10 only has 7000 miles. Still not sure which one I like best. The lean fueling and noisy transmission on my S10 keep me from liking it a lot
Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #161
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Ya like what ya like. No need to justify it to anyone. I've got the S10 now but had an 05' GSA. Love them both. Twist the throttle when you can and enjoy yer ride.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #162
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar View Post
Ya like what ya like. No need to justify it to anyone. I've got the S10 now but had an 05' GSA. Love them both. Twist the throttle when you can and enjoy yer ride.
+1

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #163
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 114
Laugh same experience

Quote:

My 1150 had had a fairly easy life, input shaft let go, at 30k. It took out the clutch at the same time.
I've had around 60 bikes, and the BMW was the only one that ever had to go home on a trailer. Since then I've had 4 DL1000's, never a single problem of any description. Just put a Tenere on order after a friend gave me a 1500k trial. Hope it's a good year for riding
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #164
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmersonwheels View Post
Just put a Tenere on order after a friend gave me a 1500k trial. Hope it's a good year for riding
Great friend

Never had an issue with the Strom or the 75,000Km old SV either, except for the water in the front plug thing.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #165
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny thing, I hope Marty reads this, he will write a few words about the DL 1000. I cant list all the things wrong with that POS, and yes I have owned 3 DLs. I just thought the next one had to be better. Never will I own another. The DL is maybe the biggest POS ever built. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmersonwheels View Post
My 1150 had had a fairly easy life, input shaft let go, at 30k. It took out the clutch at the same time.
I've had around 60 bikes, and the BMW was the only one that ever had to go home on a trailer. Since then I've had 4 DL1000's, never a single problem of any description. Just put a Tenere on order after a friend gave me a 1500k trial. Hope it's a good year for riding