Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #391
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
That sounds a lot like the key dont read to the immobilizer, but that should give you a blinky code telling you whats wrong?
I hate immobilizers :( I bet you do even a little more...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #392
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,202
ok before i go out to the machine-of-hate.

1:
Does any of you top MOFO´s no if i can "de-activate" the 2 black keys and "activate" them again???? I will of course use the orange as per manual?

2:
When i do the "5 x reset" maneuver with the orange key. Does anyone what exactly is done? And how long per time(x 5) do i have to activate the ignition. Would need complete startup or???

heyHOo
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #393
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,802
I'm going to be calling my KTM dealer tomorrow, want me to ask the mechanic while I'm on the phone?

If it's like the Ducati's I was told you just touch the keys together and it resets them. No need to de-activate and then activate, it does it all in one go.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #394
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Please try.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #395
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

The dealer that I talked to had only ever sold one RC8 and a few 990 Adventures. I'm going to call a bigger one tomorrow that I know of where they sell a lot of RC8's.

That being said...

He didn't think that you could do anything with the orange key to "de-activate" and then "activate" the black keys; apparently it's not set up the same way the Ducati's are. He said the orange key was designed to reset the immobilizer.

I asked him what about the reset procedure? He replied that he'd only done it a couple of times but it was listed in the service manual in detail. He remembered having to press and hold the mode button (he thought) and that there was more to it, it wasn't just a "Insert the orange key and turn it off and on 5x".

So I asked him what about if I blow the engine on my RC8 and just buy a used engine, what do I do? The immobilizer and the ignition barrel would not be all on the same "key". He said, ok, this I know about. What he did was he had to call KTM North America, give them the VIN numbers for the engine and the bike and explain what he was doing, so that way KTM wouldn't think the engine was stolen. They then recut a black key for the ignition barrel but had it "activated" for the new engine, so everything worked just fine.

I told him you were in Europe and he said fire an email of to KTM Europe and explain what you're doing. If they ignore you then find a KTM dealer and have them talk to KTM for you; it may be that they think you're just trying to use stolen parts and would believe a dealer more. If that doesn't work, he said he'd be happy to be the liaison between you and KTM and he'd do whatever he could to get you a working key.

So, at least now you have a direction. You'll have to talk to KTM themselves, explain what's going on, and see if they'll give you a key that will work with that immobilizer. BUT you need to know the engine number the immobilizer came off of, which could pose a problem.

I'll call the other dealership tomorrow and see if they can confirm this since they sell a lot more RC8's and 990's.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #396
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Hi

Im at work right now and i dont have much time for the project. I will just let you know that im listening carefully to what you are doing and I appreciate your help. I can only state how difficult it is to in touch with the ktm people. Dealers in Denmark vary in quality and the lust for helping me outin this project. I can understand that the project isn't straight on and the challenge seems to turn them off. It's just like they are not skilled enough to handle "out of the box" problems.

I will try the ktm Europe at first and return.

Regards and thx in advance.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #397
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Hi

Im at work right now and i dont have much time for the project. I will just let you know that im listening carefully to what you are doing and I appreciate your help. I can only state how difficult it is to in touch with the ktm people. Dealers in Denmark vary in quality and the lust for helping me outin this project. I can understand that the project isn't straight on and the challenge seems to turn them off. It's just like they are not skilled enough to handle "out of the box" problems.

I will try the ktm Europe at first and return.

Regards and thx in advance.
Try pop Bikers Jersey an email (or phone) http://www.bikersjersey.com. They are quite helpful. (Or PM Pebble
If you can prise Owen away from the Dakar thread ... )
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #398
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Mikael-

Just bought the RC8 service manual. Should be here within two days so soon as it does I'll pull the info about the immobilizer and the keys for you.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #399
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Some hardcore reading from Svane:

Prøv lige og se om det her kan bruges til noget :)
Hi.
As most of you know, we’re having a bit of a struggle getting this projekt up and running (lately the small part about the engine and getting it to crank)…
Me and Mikael had to troubleshoot A LOT, but I’ll try to give you an update to the starter interlock case. From earlier I knew that the starter was fine, so I needed to go further backwards. The starter relay (K4 I believe) did however, not receive any current from relay K5 when the button was pressed. Dismantled the starter button in order to measure current on one of the wires/leads and at the same time, try to bypass the button. 12v, but nothing happened when I bypassed it. Back to the “wiring harness overview” and tracked down the relay K5 by the wire colours. Back with the voltmeter and 12v all the places where it should be. However, there was no connection to ground. Then I took another wire into the ground connection on the relay and directly to – on the battery. Then it worked!! But still no noise from the 1190 exhaust :/ Back to the “wiring harness overview” and located the wire in/out of the starter interlock. Measured resistance in the wire, just to be sure that it wasn’t broken- but it was fine.
Tried to explain it to Mikael, but he just looked at me and did basically the same as Homer Simpson does in the church in The movie ;) We agreed that there had to be a fault in the starter interlock, but unfortunately nothing happened when a new one arrived from one of you guys in Holland.
Thx a lot for the help you provide out there, keep it coming

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #400
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,985
Mikael,

just wanted to check with you quickly if you bought the RC8 radiator from your dealer paying new prices (500+ USD) ?

I'm looking at buying one but cant find prices lower than that anywhere. Except e-bay of course.... but even those on e-bay are expensive at 400USD

cheers and looking forward to see/hear the beast run...
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #401
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Bought it from ebay. Crazy expensive, be patient and you can find some cheaper ones.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #402
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Mikael,

just wanted to check with you quickly if you bought the RC8 radiator from your dealer paying new prices (500+ USD) ?

I'm looking at buying one but cant find prices lower than that anywhere. Except e-bay of course.... but even those on e-bay are expensive at 400USD

cheers and looking forward to see/hear the beast run...

Available new on Cheap Cycle Parts for $402...

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...cooling-system

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #403
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Mikael,
Checking in just to say: Holly Shit...! this is a hell of a "projekt"! Congrats!
Can't wait to see/hear she running!

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #404
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,046
Have looked in to the tip over sensor if your using the standard ECU you will need to run the tip over sensor or bridge it out with a resistor ? This will stop the fuel pump and possibly

injector from working

Just a thought
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #405
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,046
If I read the tread you state a bazzas ECU , but is it a piggy back or replacement
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote