ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #1426
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Grenada - MS....... not the Island!!!!
Oddometer: 209
Kirk

May I suggest two books, Sheet Metal Fabrication and Advanced Sheet Metal Fabrication. They can be found in the Transportation section of Barnes and Noble. In the books they make templates from a NON corrugated cardboard but you could do the same with posterboard. Once you get all the angles figured out you lay the paper version out on the aluminum, trace, cut and bend Then weld up the small places Lots of kewl projects in there from oil tanks to building a monocoque chassis for a GTP car. One book even shows a guy repairing a Ferrari 250 GTO - one of my favorite cars!!
__________________
CaptTeach

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #1427
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Looking great Kirk! I really like the lids too!

I can hardly wait to see them done!

Jim
Thanks, Jim!

It's getting there!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #1428
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Beautiful work so far. As usual, us on-lookers have questions...

Why the "canyon cut" on the aft edge of the boxes? I understand that the sides are cut for lean angle and the front edges are cut for ankle protection. Is the back just replicated for symmetry or aesthetics?
Thanks!

Working from customer suppied specs.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #1429
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Kirk

May I suggest two books, Sheet Metal Fabrication and Advanced Sheet Metal Fabrication. They can be found in the Transportation section of Barnes and Noble. In the books they make templates from a NON corrugated cardboard but you could do the same with posterboard. Once you get all the angles figured out you lay the paper version out on the aluminum, trace, cut and bend Then weld up the small places Lots of kewl projects in there from oil tanks to building a monocoque chassis for a GTP car. One book even shows a guy repairing a Ferrari 250 GTO - one of my favorite cars!!
I think I was looking at those. Ron Covell maybe? Yep. On the want list - with a whole bunch of other things.

The more tools I amass, the more I realize I don't have. Books are definately tools. Most things I have learned in the garage have been from reading books and frequenting sites just like this one. ...and by screwing up and NOT doing it that way again.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #1430
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
...and by screwing up and NOT doing it that way again.
Ah! My preferred method!

Those Panniers look great!

I haven't had a chance to skim thru this thread yet to see if this has already been posted...What TIG welder do you have? Got any pics of it? Any chance I could stop by one day and check out your welder and pic your brain? I'm starting to look a little harder at TIG welders and am thinking of pulling the trigger sometime in the near future.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #1431
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Beautiful work so far. As usual, us on-lookers have questions...

Why the "canyon cut" on the aft edge of the boxes? I understand that the sides are cut for lean angle and the front edges are cut for ankle protection. Is the back just replicated for symmetry or aesthetics?
Exhaust is on the left, but the bags look better if they have similar tops and overall symetry, and it adds a bit of space. Lastly, the full top allows for better mounting surfaces.

Similar to these, but better looking and more functional.



Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1432
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 2,672
Wowsers!
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1433
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Ah! My preferred method!

Those Panniers look great!

I haven't had a chance to skim thru this thread yet to see if this has already been posted...What TIG welder do you have? Got any pics of it? Any chance I could stop by one day and check out your welder and pic your brain? I'm starting to look a little harder at TIG welders and am thinking of pulling the trigger sometime in the near future.
Thanks, Bob!

Sure thing! You're welcome to come by and have a look. It's a Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate 1.







Cart is made of scrap and spraypaint. I did have to break down and buy the rear wheels.

I just ditched the 2" PVC tubes for filler wire today and upsized to 3" PVC. I'm starting to buy filler in 10lb boxes, and it wouldn't fit in the 2". Now it looks like a mortar launcher.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #1434
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer
 
xcflyn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Kirk

In the books they make templates from a NON corrugated cardboard but you could do the same with posterboard.


I have used construction paper also. Tons of little tricks to be learned over time with sequence of bends and allowance of material for bends. There is specific math to figure out a lot of this, but on a manual brake it will be a little more guess work. Looks like you are getting your head wrapped around this a lot faster then most ( a lot faster then I did thats for sure)
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #1435
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
I have used construction paper also. Tons of little tricks to be learned over time with sequence of bends and allowance of material for bends. There is specific math to figure out a lot of this, but on a manual brake it will be a little more guess work. Looks like you are getting your head wrapped around this a lot faster then most ( a lot faster then I did thats for sure)
Yeah, I'm having fun figuring it all out!

more piccys incoming....
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #1436
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905


Scud missle launcher upgrade.

It's a whole lot cheaper buying 10lb filler wire qtys. online than buying 2lbs local. Talk about markup. Same manufacturer of filler, even. I'm all for buying local, but these guys are doing it to themselves.

Also, when I first started TIG welding, I bought some 18" long filler from HTP. That's an oddball size, though I didn't realize it at the time. So, the tubes had to be larger diameter and longer to accept the 10lbs. As I run the oddball sizes out, I just upgrade my most common used filler...



10lbs of filler ^.



Lid trimmed and ends TIGged in place...



One down, one to go. After some QC, it will be off to the powdercoater!

Hmmm.... now all I need is a bike to mount them on...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1437
defib
Portly Paranurse
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Winslow AZ.
Oddometer: 196
Wow!

I don't even have a dual sport yet and want a set of those boxes!

As usual your craftsmanship amazes me. Keep it up!

Btw. I had to subscribe to this thread, so I wouldnt miss what project you might be working on.

I thought the bumper was amazing then you build a tool to help you unload another tool. Freaking amazing!
__________________
Never do anything you have to explain to a paramedic.

There is no such thing as an inappropiate comment; just an inappropiate audience!

What does RN stand for? "refreshments and narcotics!"
defib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #1438
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post




Lid trimmed and ends TIGged in place...



One down, one to go. After some QC, it will be off to the powdercoater!

Hmmm.... now all I need is a bike to mount them on...

I got that covered!

See you tomorrow!

Jim

PS Looking great!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #1439
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I got that covered!

See you tomorrow!

Jim

PS Looking great!
I stopped by and met Kirk today, talked about steel, welding, bikes, etc., and saw those boxes. They are SWEET! You're going to love them Jim.

Nice meeting you Kirk.

I'll be keeping in contact.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #1440
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by defib View Post
I don't even have a dual sport yet and want a set of those boxes!

As usual your craftsmanship amazes me. Keep it up!

Btw. I had to subscribe to this thread, so I wouldnt miss what project you might be working on.

I thought the bumper was amazing then you build a tool to help you unload another tool. Freaking amazing!
We can zap screw a set to the side of your car!

Thank you very much!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014