Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #46
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
It seems that the Anakee was pushed more towards street, with the Karoo moving towards the spot vacated by the Anakee, does that seem about right?

It was the Karoo that was just re-designed, right?

I like the looks of them, and that is the tire I'll be waiting for. I loved the Anakee II that I got on the 1150, and the rear is about done (should be dead by spring).

Will the new Karoo be out in time? That is my question.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #47
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafspee View Post
I have to agree with an earlier post. Had a set of Michelin dual sport tires ( maybe T66) on a 99 F650 - worst feedback of any tire I ever mounted on that bike. On one trip to the Smokie Mtn. in heavy rain, it was scary - the lack of feel I got from those tires. It made me very nervous. I never bought another set of Michelins because of that trip, and I replaced that set earlier than I needed. I had been thinking about purchasing a set of Anakee II tires, but I think I'll look elsewhere. Oh, I do not like the look of that Anakee III too street oriented. I have been using TKC 80s for a long time on the F650. Now I have a F800gs and need to find something that last longer.
Good combination for performance and wear is a TKC80 front and a Heidenau K60 rear.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #48
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,897
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafspee View Post
I have to agree with an earlier post. Had a set of Michelin dual sport tires ( maybe T66) on a 99 F650 - worst feedback of any tire I ever mounted on that bike. On one trip to the Smokie Mtn. in heavy rain, it was scary - the lack of feel I got from those tires. It made me very nervous. I never bought another set of Michelins because of that trip, and I replaced that set earlier than I needed. I had been thinking about purchasing a set of Anakee II tires, but I think I'll look elsewhere. Oh, I do not like the look of that Anakee III too street oriented. I have been using TKC 80s for a long time on the F650. Now I have a F800gs and need to find something that last longer.
Anakee II are excellent street tires, even in the rain
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #49
BillAllen
aka OlGeezer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Good combination for performance and wear is a TKC80 front and a Heidenau K60 rear.
That's what I keep hearing.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #50
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

Mine cupped severely in the front after 8000 km. I was very careful with keeping the inflation proper. Won't be buying them again.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #51
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,211
New Karoo3 should be here by March. Which means June....or maybe tomorrow. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #52
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
New Karoo3 should be here by March. Which means June....or maybe tomorrow. ;)
Well then, I guess that will be the one I wait for!

Go You Spurs!!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #53
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Well then, I guess that will be the one I wait for!
lol. My point was... who knows when they'll actually start selling them? 3/13 or "spring" were the estimates I saw.

But they do look good. I have 2/3 of an Anakee2 and a whole TKC to burn through and then.....maybe a Karoo3 test.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #54
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
I've found Michelin tires are over priced and lack good feedback.

The rear seemed to work okay, but scalped and feathered a lot. The front did also, but the worst part was when I pushed it. The tire would go numb and just start to slide around. The only tires Michelin makes that haven't acted like a grease pencil, are the Power 1 Race.

I'm sure they work great in the rain, but, I live in CA
Many of us have used the Anakee's and Anakee 2's, and love them. I have NEVER heard of them referred to NUMB, or act like a grease pencil. I have used every bit of the tread, and they were extremely stable from sidewall to sidewall.. In rain, there is no better tire IMHO.

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #55
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
lol. My point was... who knows when they'll actually start selling them? 3/13 or "spring" were the estimates I saw.

But they do look good. I have 2/3 of an Anakee2 and a whole TKC to burn through and then.....maybe a Karoo3 test.
The pics I saw make 'em look like an Anakee 2 on steroids. Deep grooves, but numerous blocks. Not a nobbley look alike anymore. They look like they should wear longer while still providing decent off tarmac traction, just remember that they are not a nobbie. You know?

The new Anakee just doesn't look as "off the tarmac" capable as the old one. I have several thousand on the Anakee 2, and have never found them wanting on what I ride. Then new ones, leave me a bit put off. BUT, then there is the new Karoo, so I'm good again!!!

Go You Spurs!!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #56
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Blow me down with a feather... somehow 2-3 sets of the new A3 slipped into the country (we never get tyres this soon after release). Anyway, I have a set, but it's 3rd in my queue of tyres (worn A2 just went on, then K60 for a trip, then I'll put the A3 on).

Interesting difference between A2 and A3. The A2 grooves widen as they arc to the outside of the tyre, the A3 is more consistent, but the grooves are much more shallow towards the edge instead. Some treadlines never reach the edge. The silica will no doubt improve road performance (especially in wet weather), but there is certainly a lack of grooves towards the edge. Debatable if you'd lean that far in the wet, but you'd also think it's gonna be real nice in the dry

I'll guess we'll see how it bites in the gravel... the centre of the rear has a lot of the grooves meeting each other, so it should actually be quite good!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #57
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Many of us have used the Anakee's and Anakee 2's, and love them. I have NEVER heard of them referred to NUMB, or act like a grease pencil. I have used every bit of the tread, and they were extremely stable from sidewall to sidewall.. In rain, there is no better tire IMHO.

Yeah! Tires a personal preference item, IMO. I ride sportbikes as well as my GSA. The term "numb" comes from the tire loosing grip and sliding without being able to predict it. If you've ever pushed a Michelin tire hard enough to make it slide, you would understand the term numb. It just goes blank. After they get hot enough, they tend to slide all over the place and lack any feedback to the rider. I've had the Anakee 2's consistently sliding in turns without giving my anything in the way of feel.
I ran it until it was spent and replaced it with the BW501. You should try one sometime.
Riding a street bike on variable and unpredictable surfaces requires a tire that won't turn into a greasy and unpredictable POS.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #58
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,098
Wowwy!.... I've never felt that. I've schooled lots of bikes on Gretchen and Linda, as well as a Pontiac G8 in some Death Valley twisties.. Nothing but outstanding traction on my bikes. I wonder if your tire was defective?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #59
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Wowwy!.... I've never felt that. I've schooled lots of bikes on Gretchen and Linda, as well as a Pontiac G8 in some Death Valley twisties.. Nothing but outstanding traction on my bikes. I wonder if your tire was defective?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope!
Like, I said. All Michelin tires except the power race are this way for me. I carry a lot of corner speed and they just can't handle it. The BW501's don't have grip issue's and never get greasy feeling. That's why, I say tires are a personal preference item.
It all depends on how you ride, as to what works for you. I get about 4,500 miles from a set of tires on the GSA and about 2,500 on my sportbike.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #60
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 515
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

I beg to differ...I did NOT like the anakee II on the street. Why? because the tread did not go far enough around the sides of the tire...the edges shredded if you pushed corners. If you never get anywhere near touching the pegs down, i guess you'll be fine with the Anakee II...
I much prefer the continental trail attack for street.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote