SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Bow.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
charlie98210
...a mischievous soul

Oddometer: 5,822
I must say, I would like to have one of those, too. (sigh).

That's a beautiful piece of work.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Good job

How far off was last jetting from what is required w/ your new set up ?

And what you have displayed says a lot about the builder.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
How far off was last jetting from what is required w/ your new set up ?

And what you have displayed says a lot about the builder.
Theres a statement that could be taken many ways. but really it says I have lots of spare time.

Right now I am running 40/122 jets and Gossie needles, and will try 120 and 118 jets as soon as they come. Will probably raise the needle a notch when I settle on the main jet. I was running 40/128 with the OE airbox.

It's too soon to tell after only 1 tank, but it looks like mileage may be in the 35 mpg range. Some of that may be weather related as it has been cold and dry with very little wind.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,396
I'm quite impressed Dr. Dyson.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,695
Top notch

Ive been following this over on Soviet steeds. Cant say enough well done.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did about 150 km in the mountains on some very familiar roads with the 120 main jets, it gets better all the time.

Ambient conditions, low 30's, foggy, dead calm.

Tiger summit (1377 ft, 7% grade for aprox 4 miles), normally a 3rd gear 55 mph wfo climb. I was able to maintain 50-55 mph in 4th, and when I down shifted to 3rd, I could maintain 60 mph at 1/4 throttle, and if I gave it more throttle it would accelerate till the valves started floating at around 65 mph.

On the freeway it will maintain 70 mph with ease, it will even maintain 75 mph on the flat, and I was able to hit 80 mph. Prior to the new intake and exhaust, anything over 70 mph required a tail wind while going down hill from Snoqualmie summit. I don't consider the increase in top end to really change how hard I will push it on the freeway, but it will be a useful "reserve power" for passing and steep grades.

45-50 mph was my normal shift point for 4th, now I find that I can up shift at 40 mph yet still accelerate to 60 mph quicker. Once on some back roads, maintaining speeds over 50 mph is much easier. coming into towns I can now hold 4th as low as 30-35 mph and accelerate back up to 55 mph by simply rolling on the throttle rather than down shifting.

Mid range roll on acceleration in 2nd and 3rd is so much better, its almost like another bike.
As expected when using a heavy throttle hand, often wfo, in the mountains, freeway, and back roads, mileage was fairly poor being around 25 mpg, but was still probably better than normal for such activities. Previous tank with 122 jets yielded almost 35 mpg in sub 50 mph commuting. An early guesstimate would indicate a 3 to 4 mile improvement in average mpg, making it about 33-34 mpg.

Pulled the filter to inspect it, after about 300 km it still looks it did when I put it in, and after wiping the inside of the filter housing with a white tissue, it came out clean. One thing I did notice, the breather hose is doing a nice job of lubricating the frame and skidplate, me thinks a "captivator" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12108&hilit=breather will be my next project.

I am very happy with the results of this project, it has exceeded all expectations, especially since my goal was merely to increase service intervals in challenging conditions.

windmill screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 03:11 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Windmill, Show it to IIya and tell him your results. This IMHO warrants at least consideration by the factory. Those increases are very significant! Congratulations!!!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl View Post
windmill, show it to iiya and tell him your results. This imho warrants at least consideration by the factory. Those increases are very significant! Congratulations!!!
+1
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
Windmill, Show it to IIya and tell him your results. This IMHO warrants at least consideration by the factory. Those increases are very significant! Congratulations!!!
I did,

Lets just say their preparations for the next round of emission standards will exceed the efforts of any shade tree fabricator on all levels.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #26
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,080
VERY nice!!!

Want....
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Theres a statement that could be taken many ways. but really it says I have lots of spare time.

Right now I am running 40/122 jets and Gossie needles, and will try 120 and 118 jets as soon as they come. Will probably raise the needle a notch when I settle on the main jet. I was running 40/128 with the OE airbox.

It's too soon to tell after only 1 tank, but it looks like mileage may be in the 35 mpg range. Some of that may be weather related as it has been cold and dry with very little wind.
What a great improvement. I wonder if Richard's pvc tube filter will get the same gains? It would be easier for me to copy.
Do you contribute the gains to better air flow and less restriction? It seems strange to me that you can reduce the main jet size so much.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
What a great improvement. I wonder if Richard's pvc tube filter will get the same gains? It would be easier for me to copy.
Do you contribute the gains to better air flow and less restriction? It seems strange to me that you can reduce the main jet size so much.
Yes, I am willing to guess it could preform as well if combined with a similar flowing exhaust.

I'm no engineer, but to my understanding of the basic principles involved, flow is much more important than volume to a point. My aircleaner may actually flow less volume than the OE aircleaner, but the flow is significantly cleaner and more consistant.

The carbed Triumph twins are around 40cc larger, use the same carbs, produce more hp, and came stock with 42/110 jets.

Efficiency is very important, and the OE Ural aircleaner does very poorly in that department.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Having done 2 weeks of commuting and test riding I have a better feel for how the new aircleaner works.

There has definitely been a modest but noticeable improvement in performance and mileage, but as I suspected, a fair amount of the significant gains I initially observed can be attributed to the the ideal cold, dry conditions of the previous week.

After 2 weeks, and 400+km of both dry and and very wet winter riding conditions, I can say the precleaner is working fantastically, the paper filter element has stayed perfectly clean and dry which anybody familiar with the OE aircleaner will know is a very significant improvement.

I am very pleased with the real world results.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,797
Very nice work. I had something very similar to that on my Pinzgauer and it REALLY separated the dust out before it got to the filter.

Again Great job.

Marc